Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Who would score highest on the LSAT?

Friedrich Nietzsche
5%
Ludwig Wittgenstein
21%
Immanuel Kant
23%
Socrates
15%
Ayn Rand
11%
Aristotle
13%
Karl Popper
2%
Karl Marx
4%
Richard Rorty
2%
Gottlob Frege
4%

Total votes: 192

stillwater

Gold

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 1:13 pm

If you want to even call Ayn Rand a "philosopher," she is a philosopher-lite. She doesn't belong in the pantheon of seminal philosophers.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:14 pm

stillwater wrote:If you want to even call Ayn Rand a "philosopher," she is a philosopher-lite. She doesn't belong in the pantheon of seminal philosophers.
I think this is pretty credited here.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 11, 2012 1:17 pm

stillwater wrote:Ayn Rand is a hack.
+1

She's not a philosopher, just a bitter, selfish demagogue. Atlas Shrugged = a collection of logical fallacies, something Bill O'Reilly would write. If she lived today, she'd be a Fox News pundit.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 pm

99.9luft wrote:
+1

She's not a philosopher, just a bitter, selfish demagogue. Atlas Shrugged = a collection of logical fallacies, something Bill O'Reilly would write. If she lived today, she'd be a Fox News pundit.
No. It's evident here you prolly read atlas shrugged and that was the end of it. Her fiction is terrible IMO. But comparing her to a fox news pundit is retarded. There is no possible way you could know much about her and claim this. She hated conservatives, brah.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

I say Kant. But put Chomsky on that list, and he'd probably have my vote.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
stillwater wrote:If you want to even call Ayn Rand a "philosopher," she is a philosopher-lite. She doesn't belong in the pantheon of seminal philosophers.
:roll:

How is someone who publishes books based on their philosophical ideas not a philosopher?

So when was this "pantheon of seminal philosophers" established? Do they require extensive admittance essays?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 11, 2012 1:24 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
+1

No. It's evident here you prolly read atlas shrugged and that was the end of it. Her fiction is terrible IMO. But comparing her to a fox news pundit is retarded. There is no possible way you could know much about her and claim this. She hated conservatives, brah.
Right, i only read Atlas and I researched her biography. The flawed methods she uses to attack liberalism, and its issues like government power, welfare, business deregulation - are typical Fox News punditry. She may have disagreed with conservatives - you can be a pundit in more than one way, you know - but I felt that her flawed, uber-biased novel was an insult to intelligence of anyone, not just liberals and for that reason her rhetoric is sufficient to deserve the Fox News analogy i made.

It's not political, brosef, just flawed.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm

I watched a documentary about Ludwig, that motha fucka was crazy. I don't know if the the constraints of the test would have worked for him. I feel like these people all would question the test too much. However, those that were good with logic would dominate.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 pm

CincinnatusND wrote: :roll:

How is someone who publishes books based on their philosophical ideas not a philosopher?

So when was this "pantheon of seminal philosophers" established? Do they require extensive admittance essays?
She just doesn't belong in the same category as these other bros

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:29 pm

CincinnatusND wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:

I think this is fair as well. I just don't think she is quite as rigorous as the more traditional philosophers.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:33 pm

99.9luft wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
+1

Right, i only read Atlas and I researched her biography. The flawed methods she uses to attack liberalism, and its issues like government power, welfare, business deregulation - are typical Fox News punditry. She may have disagreed with conservatives - you can be a pundit in more than one way, you know - but I felt that her flawed, uber-biased novel was an insult to intelligence of anyone, not just liberals and for that reason her rhetoric is sufficient to deserve the Fox News analogy i made.

It's not political, brosef, just flawed.
Read all her nonfiction and then critique. Her fiction doesn't explain her points very well at all. I'm sick of people critiquing her arguments when they don't even know her arguments. She is not even close to fox news ridiculousness.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 11, 2012 1:34 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
CincinnatusND wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:

I think this is fair as well. I just don't think she is quite as rigorous as the more traditional philosophers.
I definitely think there is more to being labeled as a philosopher than just publishing a book on their philosophical ideas or worldview. By this token, anyone from Justin Bieber to Rush Limbaugh could qualify as a philosopher.

I think a stricter definition should be employed. I remember reading Foucault in college and being shocked that he is not considered a philosopher but merely a social commentator, so that tell you smth about the strictness of the definition. I am personally unsure what that standard should be...

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:35 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Wow, this is one of the "nerdiest" forum posts I have seen in awhile.
you just topped it with that picture you got there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
Read all her nonfiction and then critique. Her fiction doesn't explain her points very well at all. I'm sick of people critiquing her arguments when they don't even know her arguments. She is not even close to fox news ridiculousness.
I guess if you are saying that her non-fiction is better (as in coherent and not making me want to rip out my hair), it is worth a read. It's just that Atlas was a huge turn off for me.

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Fri May 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Ayn Rand's books are meant for a broad audience, so she makes them accessible. She is no less intelligent than other philosophers, and her ideas are not less valid than theirs, because her writing is less dense.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

CincinnatusND wrote:Ayn Rand's books are meant for a broad audience, so she makes them accessible. She is no less intelligent than other philosophers, and her ideas are not less valid than theirs, because her writing is less dense.
The point. You keep missing it.

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm

CincinnatusND wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:

They do indeed require extensive admittance essays. Usually it's a lifetime of work as a professional philosopher, and general acceptance by other academic philosophers. She's got neither of those.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Fri May 11, 2012 1:44 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
CincinnatusND wrote:Ayn Rand's books are meant for a broad audience, so she makes them accessible. She is no less intelligent than other philosophers, and her ideas are not less valid than theirs, because her writing is less dense.
The point. You keep missing it.
Enlighten me then. Is the point that you are qualified to judge the merit of philosophers, and because you disagree with Rand, you judge her to be a lesser philosopher?

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri May 11, 2012 1:44 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote: No. It's evident here you prolly read atlas shrugged and that was the end of it. Her fiction is terrible IMO. But comparing her to a fox news pundit is retarded. There is no possible way you could know much about her and claim this. She hated conservatives, brah.
And lol at this. She publicly endorsed Barry Goldwater for goddsake.

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 pm

You don't need a brightline on where exactly philosophy exists in the world of epistemology to figure out that Rand is not in the top 10.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:46 pm

99.9luft wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:
I guess if you are saying that her non-fiction is better (as in coherent and not making me want to rip out my hair), it is worth a read. It's just that Atlas was a huge turn off for me.
Oh definitely! Her nonfiction is a lot more coherent. I think a lt of her ideas can be easily misunderstood. There are a lot of nuances to some of her controversial statements. I cant stand her fiction other than fountainhead. And I like fountainhead for non philosophical reasons.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:47 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote: No. It's evident here you prolly read atlas shrugged and that was the end of it. Her fiction is terrible IMO. But comparing her to a fox news pundit is retarded. There is no possible way you could know much about her and claim this. She hated conservatives, brah.
And lol at this. She publicly endorsed Barry Goldwater for goddsake.
She did but it's not as simple as you think. Seriously you dont know what youre talking about. Read her. What I said is NOT uncommon knowledge for people that know ANYTHING about her.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm

CincinnatusND wrote: Enlighten me then. Is the point that you are qualified to judge the merit of philosophers, and because you disagree with Rand, you judge her to be a lesser philosopher?
For fucks sake bro, let's play a game. It's called which one of these is not like the others:

Nietzsche
Kant
Socrates
Ayn Rand

It's like if I made a poll about which NBA player could make the most free throws in a row and these were the options:

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Greg Oden

Yes, they are all basketball players. But the first 3 are some of the greats while the other dude is just another player.

HTH
Last edited by flem on Fri May 11, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Fri May 11, 2012 1:51 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:She did but it's not as simple as you think. Seriously you dont know what youre talking about. Read her. What I said is NOT uncommon knowledge for people that know ANYTHING about her.
Rand isn't allowed to be on the same list as Wittingstein, Kant, and Socrates. She is a TTT philosopher at sticker.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”