Neck pain while studying for the LSAT

flowerhair789

Neck pain while studying for the LSAT

Postby flowerhair789 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi guys,

Has anyone had neck pain while studying for the LSAT?
I suspected that my posture was the problem, and therefore, in an attempt to fix the issue, bought a new adjustable chair, changed my desk height, and controlled my sitting habits. To no avail. I still find myself bending instinctively as I concentrate during PTs. :(

Has anyone dealt successfully with a similar issue?

Thanks

Tom Joad

Re: Neck pain while studying for the LSAT

Postby Tom Joad » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

I bought one of these:

Postby 83947368 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:Hi guys,

I suspected that my posture was the problem, and therefore, in an attempt to fix the issue, bought a new adjustable chair, changed my desk height, and controlled my sitting habits. To no avail. I still find myself bending instinctively as I concentrate during PTs. :(

Thanks

Wait til law school. I have super bad posture and the same problem always find myself leaning over and looking down at my book. You should try to sit against the back of your chair although if your in a habit of leaning over it prob. wont change. You could use a book stand but that won't help if you are underlinging or writing in your book.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Bending over is bad for your back. If you are having neck pain use Motrin I highly recommend it. Also maybe go see an orthopedist. Mine showed me how my neck was all out of alignment and needed physical therapy. He also showed me my ruptured disc that gives me sciatica as it presses on a nerve. Physical therapy is the bomb though if you can get a really good PT guy/girl. I'd stay away from chiropractors.

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 am

Tom Joad wrote:I bought one of these:

wow... :o
I hope it does not get that bad!

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:36 am

Mike12188 wrote:
marshmallow456 wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks

Wait til law school. I have super bad posture and the same problem always find myself leaning over and looking down at my book. You should try to sit against the back of your chair although if your in a habit of leaning over it prob. wont change. You could use a book stand but that won't help if you are underlinging or writing in your book.

This is a recent problem...I've gone through 7+ years of post-graduate schooling without neck pain. Old age might be catching up with me :(

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:36 am

roaringeagle wrote:Bending over is bad for your back. If you are having neck pain use Motrin I highly recommend it. Also maybe go see an orthopedist. Mine showed me how my neck was all out of alignment and needed physical therapy. He also showed me my ruptured disc that gives me sciatica as it presses on a nerve. Physical therapy is the bomb though if you can get a really good PT guy/girl. I'd stay away from chiropractors.

Thanks for the tips!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri May 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Same thing happened to me. My girlfriend at the time thought I had meningitis because she had recently seen a special on it and pain in the neck was a symptom.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat May 12, 2012 12:24 am

Doing some regular exercises to strengthen your neck and other upper body/shoulder muscles would help. Nothing intense like bodybuilding stuff, just some moderate basic exercises on a regular basis to strengthen, stretch and tone the cluster of muscles involved.

It's stuff that can be done at home without having to buy a bunch of expensive gear or sign up for an expensive monthly gym membership. It can be done with just putting in 20-30 minutes a few times a week at home while watching TV or listening to music or whatever.

If it is becoming more severe ongoing pain rather than just transient 'stiff neck' after studying at a desk for a while discomfort/pain, have an orthopedist check it out, especially if any type of arthritis runs in your genetic family history.

Use a good proper posture comfortable chair to sit in where you spend most of your study and reading time.

You definitely want to get this handled/figured out before LS since once in, you'll be having to carry around and sitting down hunched over reading books for many hours a day every week for three years and then many more daily once you graduate and become a lawyer.

It's not that hard to work some simple stretching and neck/shoulder/back muscle strengthening into a routine that also would not take time away from other things or require you to significantly change your routines or cost $$. I do simple exercises while watching the news or TV shows I like.

If it's getting much more severe and much different than normal 'reading lots of books' pain you felt before when in grad school, consult with a qualified doctor (not a Chiropractor) to get it checked out.

Chronic pain sucks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”