I need to get just a little bit faster

TunnelVision

I need to get just a little bit faster

Postby TunnelVision » Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 pm

I've usually get the first 10 in 10 minutes for LR without any problem. Sometimes I even do the first 15 in 15 minutes, but there is almost always at least a couple questions between 15 and 20 that I get too sucked into. This has created some issues with timing. Usually I'll get those questions right, but I run out of time at the end and have to guess on the last 2 questions usually, which I get wrong. The upsetting part is that when I go back to review those questions I got wrong due to running out of time, I get them right. I know if I had another 1-2 minutes I could gain an extra point or two (usually go -2 or -3 for LR). Any ideas for this?

Same thing happens with RC. My accuracy has gotten much better, but I still struggle to make it to the last passage with more than 5 minutes left, which means I get a few wrong on that last passage, in addition to a few wrong combined from the first 3 passages. Any ideas for this?

flem

Re: I need to get just a little bit faster

Postby flem » Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Skip around. Seriously.

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Last edited by lookingin on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 pm

If you move your wrist faster, you finish faster, right?

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun May 13, 2012 1:48 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sun May 13, 2012 1:51 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:If you move your wrist faster, you finish faster, right?

i've heard masturbating with your writing hand is wonderful practice.

make sure you give those tensors a good workout.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun May 13, 2012 2:07 pm

For LR: Feel free to skip the questions you don't initially get, especially the harder questions. It can help your pace on everything else and it's nice to save the nastiest question or two for last.

I would usually skip between 3-5 questions a section (sometimes even more), but would typically only miss between 0 and 2 per section. You limit your dumb mistakes by removing the pressure to rush through a question to get to the others, whether it is an easier question that you just don't initially get or if it's a trickier question that requires more time.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm

track which questions take more time, and which ones you get wrong.. skip them ( and place a light bubble in a pre determined answer choice so you keep your spot) then when you have finished the rest of the section- go back and use as much time as necessary.

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Sun May 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Hahaha I've been really trying to do 15 in 15 for LR and when I am able to do that I have no trouble finishing on time. In fact, I finished a few minutes early a couple times. I think I should probably just skip the problems in the teens that give me any pause and come back to them at the end. And for RC, not taking notes has saved me at least 5 minutes, allowing me to have almost enough time to finish RC (just need to speed up a couple more minutes and get used to not taking notes).

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Anyone timing him/herself per question?

On average, how long does it take you to read the argument + the possible answers for each LR question?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sun May 13, 2012 2:16 pm

20-30 seconds?

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:22 pm

****!

It's taking me at least a minute to read those things with a 70-100% understanding. If I re-read an argument or the answer choices, I'm near 2mins.

... :| is retarded/

TunnelVision

Postby TunnelVision » Sun May 13, 2012 2:57 pm

jas1503 wrote:Anyone timing him/herself per question?

On average, how long does it take you to read the argument + the possible answers for each LR question?

I've noticed that this varies a lot for me. For flaw questions it takes me literally 20 seconds usually to spot the flaw and find an answer. But for parallel and long principle questions it takes me at least 2 minutes often. My problem right now is that I'm usually only getting a couple wrong per section but there isn't a clear pattern of where I'm going awry. Some are necessary assumption, some are strengthen, some are parallel, etc. Aside from time, sometimes (probably once or twice per test), I'll encounter a question that I literally do not know the answer to at all, but I can eliminate a couple choices just because I know the language is atypical for an answer to that type of question. Does anyone else know a good way to deal with this sort of situation? The really hard assumption questions (especially science topics) sometimes have 2 really attractive answers.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun May 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Parallel questions take a while because I'll try to mark up the abstract structure to double-check. Otherwise, the average is probably about one minute to read, decide, and bubble per question, roughly 26 minutes for 26 questions.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun May 13, 2012 4:28 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Parallel questions take a while because I'll try to mark up the abstract structure to double-check. Otherwise, the average is probably about one minute to read, decide, and bubble per question, roughly 26 minutes for 26 questions.

This girl got a 173 on her diag. Take most advice she gives with a grain of salt lol. Not that her advice is bad, but that her experience was different from 99% of test takers.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun May 13, 2012 4:32 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
This girl got a 173 on her diag. Take most advice she gives with a grain of salt lol. Not that her advice is bad, but that her experience was different from 99% of test takers.

*shrug* I know a fair number of ppl with similar diags who had similar experiences. I didn't start off with that speed; it took me all 35 minutes when I started. 20+ practice tests shaved 10 minutes off the LG & LR sections, though only 5 for RC. If you practice a lot, it gets really familiar, and it makes test day less stressful if you can get your practice timing decently inside of time. On the actual day, I slowed down to only having like 2-3 minutes instead of 10 minutes left for LG & LR.

I do recommend making sure to diagram the parallel questions, and to reserve more time for them. They're just long, and it's a bit too much to keep in mind under pressure.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

*shrug* I know a fair number of ppl with similar diags who had similar experiences. I didn't start off with that speed; it took me all 35 minutes when I started. 20+ practice tests shaved 10 minutes off the LG & LR sections, though only 5 for RC. If you practice a lot, it gets really familiar, and it makes test day less stressful if you can get your practice timing decently inside of time. On the actual day, I slowed down to only having like 2-3 minutes instead of 10 minutes left for LG & LR.

I do recommend making sure to diagram the parallel questions, and to reserve more time for them. They're just long, and it's a bit too much to keep in mind under pressure.

I definitely agree with all of this.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”