Yet to study for June LSAT; have some Qs, please help!

tinyvipers

Yet to study for June LSAT; have some Qs, please help!

Postby tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 am

1. What books should I use for strategy? (A friend recommended LR and LG Powerscores, anything else beside that?)
2. What practice test books should I use?
3. Also, related to the previous question, what's the difference between Official LSAT Preptest # and the 4 books of 10 actual LSAT Preptests? Which one should I get or should I get both?
4. Are there any recommended studying strategies or plans that any of you can recommend since I only have a little more than a month and I will also be interning full time during this period?

Thank you so much! Freaking out right now. Anything'd help!

tinyvipers

Re: Yet to study for June LSAT; have some Qs, please help!

Postby tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 am

In regard to number 3, are the 10 actual tests series supposed to date back to 1993?!?! I mean, is it even relevant today? I wasn't even born until the end of 1993?!?! So confused/panicky!

tedler

Postby tedler » Thu May 10, 2012 6:14 am

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu May 10, 2012 6:18 am

Take the October test.

tinyvipers

Postby tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice since I study in the UK which only has a test centre in London and I live way up North in Edinburgh. June seems like a more convenient choice for me since I'm in Singapore for the summer where I have registered. I know that might sound like an excuse but I'm not comfortable travelling to London to take the LSAT at all -- first, I have never been to London before; second, the trip itself takes up to 7 hours by train; third, I have already registered for the GRE in October.

Anyway, I will work very hard at it (I just spent 6 hours at the library and finished 3 chapters of LR Bible in detail). Also, aside from my internship, I don't have any other commitments this summer.

Just wondering, since the actual preptests series do go back to 1993, what would you recommend I start with? 1993? Midway? The newest? Thanks!

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu May 10, 2012 8:11 am

It is almost always ideal to have time to study the test and understand it before you take it, and as the other poster said it takes on average 3months to do that. So my advice is that you should probably take a PT (fully timed) so you know exactly where you stand (you might be one of the lucky few and have a knack for it and score a 178 on your first go), and what aspects of the test you need to work on (if don't have that knack for it) in the limited time that you have.

PS: most people taking the test outside the US have that distance problem, I know people that have gotten on 6 hour flights across national borders to take the test. You're new to the LSAT, but you'll probably soon learn that the process requires some kind of sacrifice :) good luck!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu May 10, 2012 8:35 am

tinyvipers wrote:Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice since I study in the UK which only has a test centre in London and I live way up North in Edinburgh. June seems like a more convenient choice for me since I'm in Singapore for the summer where I have registered. I know that might sound like an excuse but I'm not comfortable travelling to London to take the LSAT at all -- first, I have never been to London before; second, the trip itself takes up to 7 hours by train; third, I have already registered for the GRE in October.

Anyway, I will work very hard at it (I just spent 6 hours at the library and finished 3 chapters of LR Bible in detail). Also, aside from my internship, I don't have any other commitments this summer.

Just wondering, since the actual preptests series do go back to 1993, what would you recommend I start with? 1993? Midway? The newest? Thanks!

This makes the LSAT all the more important for you since your GPA scale won't be calculated into the rankings. It sounds like if you're taking the GRE you're not 100% set on what kind of graduate schooling you want to do. Figure that out first.

The advice above me is credited as well. Take a diagnostic and see where you stand. Make sure you have logic games down as close to -0 as possible. And if law school is something you're 100% set on, you'll probably have to accept a sacrifice like a 7-hour train ride in order to take the LSAT.

tinyvipers

Postby tinyvipers » Thu May 10, 2012 9:04 am

Thank you for the advice, previous two posters!

I will take a full PT in test conditions within this week and I will keep the thread updated.

To descartes, I am indeed very indecisive about what to do next. Ideally, I would prefer a Ph.D in Economics or an MA in Economics and Finance over law school. But law school is my 3rd choice. That said, the prestige of the institution I attend is a primary factor -- I would pick Harvard Law over Northwestern Ph.D Economics any day.

I'm sure my GPA will be somehow translated into American terms but it is a given high 2:1. Also, I completed my first two years in United States before transferring and my GPA in the first year (community college) is around a 3.2 and my second year (mid-sized top 80 private college) is around a 3.75. I feel like I should mention everything I have done to get to where I am in my PS but I'm not sure if they would believe it (I went to the US alone when I was 15 against my father's will to study; since I was studying in a CC in the suburbs, I found my own homestay family since I was too young to rent without my father's consent etc. and basically was fully independent except financially).

If my LSAT is not above a 175, I will definitely retake it in October.

This forum has been such a great help (but at times sort of intimidating with all the impressive stats); thank you all so much!

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:25 am

tinyvipers wrote:Thank you for the advice, previous two posters!

I will take a full PT in test conditions within this week and I will keep the thread updated.

To descartes, I am indeed very indecisive about what to do next. Ideally, I would prefer a Ph.D in Economics or an MA in Economics and Finance over law school. But law school is my 3rd choice. That said, the prestige of the institution I attend is a primary factor -- I would pick Harvard Law over Northwestern Ph.D Economics any day.

I'm sure my GPA will be somehow translated into American terms but it is a given high 2:1. Also, I completed my first two years in United States before transferring and my GPA in the first year (community college) is around a 3.2 and my second year (mid-sized top 80 private college) is around a 3.75. I feel like I should mention everything I have done to get to where I am in my PS but I'm not sure if they would believe it (I went to the US alone when I was 15 against my father's will to study; since I was studying in a CC in the suburbs, I found my own homestay family since I was too young to rent without my father's consent etc. and basically was fully independent except financially).

If my LSAT is not above a 175, I will definitely retake it in October.

This forum has been such a great help (but at times sort of intimidating with all the impressive stats); thank you all so much!

Just my opinion, if law school is your third choice don't do it. You may wanna take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm not in law school and haven't taken the LSAT yet (taking it in June), but this doesn't seem like the best time to do something just to do it, especially if you have other choices. If you want to be in economics or finance instead of law I would do that, especially if you think you'll be happier there. Going to Harvard Law is great and very impressive but 5, 10, 20 years from now is that going to be what makes you happy? I feel like law school, any law school, is a step to get to some other thing that will make you happy, not the thing that makes you happy. There's nothing wrong with being indecisive (I have a few friends with no idea what they want to do with themselves) but with the legal field being what is right now I wouldn't go if I wasn't sure this was what I wanted. If you're sure and then you get there and you hate it then that's another story, but I've always been a "if it doesn't make you happy then don't do it" kind of person and, from what little I've seen, I get a feeling you'd be happier in economics and finance. But I don't know you, I could very well be wrong, just my opinion. But good luck with whatever you decide!

R86

Postby R86 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 am

For what it's worth, I sat for the February test with less than 2 weeks of studying under my belt and did just fine.

I'm not saying you'll have the same results/luck, but if you're absolutely set on taking the test, my advice would be to take as many of the most recent preptests as you can get your hands on in as close to test day conditions as possible (timed, all in one sitting, not scoring as you go, etc.) and use other references as you recognize your weaknesses.

Again, what do I know, and even if with a good score under my belt I wish I had studied more, because the logic games are not something you'll be able to consistently score -2, -1, or -0 on without some serious practice.

Good luck, though. Sounds like you'll want to reevaluate your options once you've got an LSAT score and have a better sense of which schools you can shoot for.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”