should i take all prep (1-65, four feb tests, June 07)?

sbpark84

should i take all prep (1-65, four feb tests, June 07)?

Postby sbpark84 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:04 pm

As of now, there are 70 prep tests (71 if you include the June 2012).
I will take the oct test.
Is it worth it to take all tests?
I've heard that early tests (1-20 or so) are little bit different from the current ones.
One of my friends told me to only focus on the latter lsats (21-65)
Wha is the strategy, in terms of schedule?
Should I take one prep test everyday except for weekend until the test day?
I need your advices.
Thank you.

jbates14

Re: should i take all prep (1-65, four feb tests, June 07)?

Postby jbates14 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:12 pm

its a bit of overkill to do them all

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Wed May 09, 2012 2:19 pm

I took them all, got a 174. My advice, ignore the first 20 except for the logic games.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed May 09, 2012 2:24 pm

About a month before every lsat, we see a bunch of people on TLS saying "I've done every test but still haven't broken (insert score), what do i do?" Avoid this.

If you're naturally good at standardized tests, you probably can get away with just doing 10 tests. Many of the people we hire to teach did just that, but they're geeks. You probably wouldn't be asking a question about how to prepare for the LSAT.

If you're not a super geek, you want to follow some program. Learn a strategy in some book, practice it with sets focused on that question type, and mix in full practice tests. There are some suggested study schedules in the Pithypike thread. LSAT Blog has some (free, some cost). We can send you a self-study syllabus to follow.

If you need more guidance, do a self-study program with videos -- we have one, so does blueprint. If you need a teacher, well, join a class.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 pm

sbpark84 wrote:As of now, there are 70 prep tests (71 if you include the June 2012).
I will take the oct test.
Is it worth it to take all tests?
I've heard that early tests (1-20 or so) are little bit different from the current ones.
One of my friends told me to only focus on the latter lsats (21-65)
Wha is the strategy, in terms of schedule?
Should I take one prep test everyday except for weekend until the test day?
I need your advices.
Thank you.

I think you first need to determine what your strenghts and weaknesses are. Have you taken a diagnostic test? If not, then you should do so. Pay attention not only to which sections you struggle with the most, but what types of questions you struggle with.

The idea is to improve in the areas that you struggle with the most. Just taking a bunch of prep-tests won't enable you to really focus in on your weaknesses. My suggestion would be that you do targeted studying followed by taking practices tests. But, you need to do what works for you. Some people take one practice test a week, some people take 2-3. Whatever you do, don't burn yourself out and make sure that you're studying effectively and that you're retaining information and progressing from your study plan.

Basically, don't take the practice tests just to say you took them, take them because you're getting something from them.

I took every practice test at least once and reviewed different parts of each test each time. You'll want to make sure that you get the PowerScore Bibles, they will help you. Also, consider the option of enrolling in an LSAT prep class. Whatever decision you make, just make sure it's what works for you. Each person is different, therefore each study plan will be different.

Good luck!

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 pm

arkansawyer wrote:I took them all, got a 174. My advice, ignore the first 20 except for the logic games.

I took them all (couple times), got a 170. I agree with this advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”