LR Bible--How much will it help me? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
whiteness

New

LR Bible--How much will it help me?

Post by whiteness » Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 pm

I am usually -3 or -4 on LR and rarely worst case -6 and I haven't specifically worked on LR much yet. Iv'e been focused on my weak point LG and I am seeing vast improvement. Is it worth it to read the LR Bible? I ask this because right now, I just read the questions and answer them with no system or method and usually have plenty of time left over. Will adopting the methods in the LR bible slow me down and alter the way I do this section and possibly result in a temporary decline in my scores kind of like changing a golf swing? I'd like to get some of your thoughts before I open it up.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Re: LR Bible--How much will it help me?

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I was scoring -2 to -4 per section, and after reading the LR bible I am consistently getting -0 to -1. Since there's two sections of LR that has made a significant difference in my PT scores. I highly recommend it.

whiteness

New

Post by whiteness » Tue May 08, 2012 8:32 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I was scoring -2 to -4 per section, and after reading the LR bible I am consistently getting -0 to -1. Since there's two sections of LR that has made a significant difference in my PT scores. I highly recommend it.
I am retaking in June, do you think one month will be enough to get something out of it?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Yes, definitely. Get 2 day shipping and start ASAP though

whiteness

New

Post by whiteness » Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Yes, definitely. Get 2 day shipping and start ASAP though
I have a pdf copy. I will start tonight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 09, 2012 1:08 am

shifty_eyed wrote:I was scoring -2 to -4 per section, and after reading the LR bible I am consistently getting -0 to -1. Since there's two sections of LR that has made a significant difference in my PT scores. I highly recommend it.
Mind if I ask which sections?

But to answer OP, I too started off basically -4 on each LR section and with the Bible have improved on that score.
Lots of stuff at the beginning you can mainly skip, but it does have great advice on tackling certain questions. I always use it's strategy to answer assumption questions, for example, and it never stares me wrong.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

But to answer OP, I too started off basically -4 on each LR section and with the Bible have improved on that score.
Lots of stuff at the beginning you can mainly skip, but it does have great advice on tackling certain questions. I always use it's strategy to answer assumption questions, for example, and it never stares me wrong.
Not sure what you mean. Perhaps my original post was unclear. I meant that because LR makes up half the LSAT, improving by 2 questions on each LR section means improving by 4 raw score points on average.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Perhaps my original post was unclear. I meant that because LR makes up half the LSAT, improving by 2 questions on each LR section means improving by 4 raw score points on average.
Whoops, I misread that. I thought you meant there were two section in particular in the PSLR book that really helped you.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

I did find the chapters on conditional reasoning, formal logic, and assumptions to be very helpful in particular.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whiteness

New

Post by whiteness » Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Do you think that anything in the LR bible can carry over to the RC section? Rc is my strongest section so I haven't worked on it. I am consistent -3 or 4. Plus I hear it's the hardest to improve on. But an extra point or two won't hurt if I can pick it up. I ask this because the LG bible actually helped me a little on my LR.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, both LG and LR have conditional reasoning and other things that literally overlap.

On the contrary. I don't really think there is specific advice in LR that pertains to RC, but there are definitely ways of thinking that are similar to both, like make sure the answer choice is 100% true and has not even a small detail that technically disqualifies it. Your answer choice should match the language of the stimulus/passage (if the author is saying something might happens, do not pick an answer that says the author is definitively sure what will happen, etc.) Both of them have the idea of "scope" and lots of wrong AC's are out of it.

I haven't read the RC Bible though, so maybe there are more similarities they profess than I'm aware of.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 am

whiteness wrote:Do you think that anything in the LR bible can carry over to the RC section? Rc is my strongest section so I haven't worked on it. I am consistent -3 or 4. Plus I hear it's the hardest to improve on. But an extra point or two won't hurt if I can pick it up. I ask this because the LG bible actually helped me a little on my LR.
Most of TLS will recommend the Manhattan Reading Comprehension Guide over the Reading Comprehension Bible. Overall better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”