RC: do you mark while reading or after each paragraph? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
naillsat

Bronze

RC: do you mark while reading or after each paragraph?

Post by naillsat » Tue May 08, 2012 3:02 pm

quick question:

Do you mark (box or underline, etc) while you read an RC passage or you mark after reading each paragraph? thanks

princeR

Bronze

Re: RC: do you mark while reading or after each paragraph?

Post by princeR » Tue May 08, 2012 3:09 pm

I had been marking forever, and am now moving into not marking at all. I see that my timing is WAY better, my accuracy is roughly the same, but I have a better grasp on the overall theme of the passage. I still need to fine tune it, but honestly, I think you shouldn't mark at all, but that's just me. However, I do talk to myself as I read and think about the purpose of each paragraph after I have read it, but I don't mark anything.

thestalkmore

New

Post by thestalkmore » Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Never.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue May 08, 2012 6:00 pm

I underline while reading. It helps me focus. I end up underlining about half the passage tbh. Maybe more.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue May 08, 2012 6:03 pm

I used to do this
shifty_eyed wrote:I underline while reading. It helps me focus. I end up underlining about half the passage tbh. Maybe more.
then this
naillsat wrote:mark after reading each paragraph? thanks
but now I am starting to do this
thestalkmore wrote:Never.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 pm

99.9luft wrote:I used to do this
shifty_eyed wrote:I underline while reading. It helps me focus. I end up underlining about half the passage tbh. Maybe more.
then this
naillsat wrote:mark after reading each paragraph? thanks
but now I am starting to do this
thestalkmore wrote:Never.
lol, same here.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

I mark up the passage while reading it, including a short note at the end of each paragraph (which viewpoint(s) it's supporting mostly/role in the author's argument).

However, it's important to not over-mark. After doing this for so long, I can pretty much tell what features of the passage are going to show up as questions/answers, so I rarely mark anything that doesn't end up being important. Best way to start developing this sense in yourself is to take 5 minutes after reviewing the questions. Check two things:
1) Did I mark up everything in the passage that showed up in the questions/answers? If no, then you missed something important. Figure out a general way to describe that feature (e.g. "It was a description of a commonly-held belief") and highlight them in the future.
2) Did I mark up anything that didn't show up? If yes, then you marked up too much, and you should ignore similar features in the future.

This will be a balancing act between 1 and 2; sometimes, you'll mark up something that doesn't show up in the questions, but generally will. After doing this for a few dozen passages, however, you'll get a good sense for what's fodder for questions/answers, and what isn't. There's a definite pattern - I can generally tell you what at least 5/7 questions will be just from reading the passage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”