When to take a prep course? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Rosalita

New

When to take a prep course?

Post by Rosalita » Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 am

I am thinking of taking the LSAT in October and if I did so when would be a good time to take a prep course? I don't know if it is better to take a course close to the date or near the beginning of my study time. I am probably going to end up taking a weekend class if I take one (because of the price), but I am not sure yet. Any help in timing this would be appreciated!

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Re: When to take a prep course?

Post by Sugar Lumps » Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 am

If it were me, I would take the class three weeks prior so that I could do timed PTs during those three weeks in preparation. You want what worked for you in that class, if anything, to become natural, or you could end up spazing the fuck out on test day.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 am

I started taking a class (for the June test) in mid March that ends this week. I know some people in class as worried about having a month between the end of class and the test but I personally love it. The class takes up 8 hours a week and I work full time so 1) I've been exhausted since class started and 2) I haven't had the time to really sit down and learn the material which is being reflected in my awful diagnostic scores. With a month off I have time to sit down and take my time with things. I understand everything we've gone over it just hasn't sunk in yet and if I had taken the course that ends right before the test I'd be screwed right now. I was "studying" months before the test but I really had no idea what I was doing, I was just taking tests over and over again and not really going about it in any particular way.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon May 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Generally, courses are going to run up to one of the test dates; the June classes are well underway, and the October classes will start around July. Since you're in between, I think that you won't have many choices besides taking a course that runs up to the October test date.

That being said, that's not a bad thing. Most of our students take the exam immediately after the course ends (we generally give you 3-4 days off in between the last day of classes and the test). They're designed to give you time to take practice tests towards the end of the course. Our last 6 meetings are review sessions (I'm assuming other courses are similar), so you'll get plenty of review. It's also good to have easy access to an instructor for questions that come up on PTs.

Rosalita

New

Post by Rosalita » Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the help! I think I will be looking at a weekend course in August then for the October test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”