Taking the LSAT a third time?

dcespedes

Taking the LSAT a third time?

Postby dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 5:25 pm

I have already taken my 2nd LSAT, scored a 160 and have already applied and received most of my offers and decision letters for the FALL 2012 semester. As it stands, my choices are between USF (Offering me 33,500 total for my first year) and UofP McGeorge School of Law (Offering me 18,000 each year as long as I stay in the top 1/3 of my class). After getting the help and advice of many of you on TLS from my last thread "USF or McGeorge School of Law", I am seriously considering turning down these offers and taking the LSAT one more time in June or October in order to give myself better options and opportunities for law school. With that being said I need to score at least a 165 on this final LSAT to make it all worthwhile. I took a Kaplan course to prep me (which I am regretting now) and studied my ass off to get just a 160. I initially thought that a 160 was the limit of my capabilities but im starting to think that maybe it was my method and Kaplan's mediocre course that led to that. I am considering using the Powerscore books this time but, can anyone give me an Ultimate gameplan as far as the materials to use this time and the method that I should use to crack that 90th percentile? Also, what are your thoughts on me turning down these current offers? I would really appreciate all of your advice and input as im in a tough predicament at this point. Thanks!

shifty_eyed

Re: Taking the LSAT a third time?

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri May 04, 2012 5:45 pm

I am by no means an expert, but some info that might help us out would be if you told us:

a) How many practice tests did you do to prepare to take the LSAT before the 160?
b) How much time did you spend studying outside of your Kaplan class?
c) What did you do to prepare?
d) How did you do on the logic games section?
e) What did you get on your first timed practice test (or your first LSAT, if you took it without any preparation)?

I'm trying to figure out how much material you've been exposed to already and where you have the most room for potential improvement.

hamsamitchguy03

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:48 pm

edi ted
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 5:49 pm

As another poster once told me,

1.Deposit at where ever you decided between USF and UofP McGeorge.
2.Study for June LSAT
3.If score does not improve, go where ever
4.If score improves significantly, sit out
4a. apply to better schools...
5. ????
6.Profit

Im not going to attempt to craft an ultimate game plan for you at this time. I suggest reading the How I Scored 160+ thread that is stickied.

As someone who may turn down much better offers, I would say turn them down if raise your LSAT improves to 165+. Btw, LSAC GPA??

All of shifty's questions are relevent and would help others give you advice/opinions.

dcespedes

Postby dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 6:08 pm

@ shifty_eyed Sure and thanks for the response. So...

a) Not sure exactly how many practice tests that I took total, but between my prep course and both times that I have prepared I took a TON! I was taking a test every other day about 2-3 weeks before both exams.

b) So I started prepping the 2nd time around early August (after taking a break off after the June test). I went to class, did all the assigned homework and spent a moderate 3- 4 hours outside of class daily studying. For the last month before the test I kicked it up and I spent anywhere from 7-12 hours each day studying. (which is why I was highly disappointed with my score and also why I thought for a while that a 160 was the limit of my intellectual capacity lol)

c) I broke each section up into days. I would either spend a whole day working on one section or I would spend about 4 hours on one, take a break and then work on another area (similiar to class style). For example...Mon-LR, Tue-LG, Wed-RC, Thu-LR, Fri-LG/RC, Sat- PRAC TEST, Sun-Review Prac Test.

d) I think on the test I may have averaged around maybe 70 percent correct? (LG) I didnt even finish each section entirely tho and I had to guess on some before time ran out.

e) My very first diag I scored a 144. (16pt increase total)

Hope that helps!!

Anyone else feel free to jump in and give ur honset opinions. I need all the help and advice that I can get! lol

dcespedes

Postby dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 6:13 pm

@Nova My LSAC GPA is a 2.5 :(

hereyago

Postby hereyago » Fri May 04, 2012 6:31 pm

dcespedes wrote:@ shifty_eyed Sure and thanks for the response. So...

a) Not sure exactly how many practice tests that I took total, but between my prep course and both times that I have prepared I took a TON! I was taking a test every other day about 2-3 weeks before both exams.

b) So I started prepping the 2nd time around early August (after taking a break off after the June test). I went to class, did all the assigned homework and spent a moderate 3- 4 hours outside of class daily studying. For the last month before the test I kicked it up and I spent anywhere from 7-12 hours each day studying. (which is why I was highly disappointed with my score and also why I thought for a while that a 160 was the limit of my intellectual capacity lol)

c) I broke each section up into days. I would either spend a whole day working on one section or I would spend about 4 hours on one, take a break and then work on another area (similiar to class style). For example...Mon-LR, Tue-LG, Wed-RC, Thu-LR, Fri-LG/RC, Sat- PRAC TEST, Sun-Review Prac Test.

d) I think on the test I may have averaged around maybe 70 percent correct? (LG) I didnt even finish each section entirely tho and I had to guess on some before time ran out.

e) My very first diag I scored a 144. (16pt increase total)

Hope that helps!!

Anyone else feel free to jump in and give ur honset opinions. I need all the help and advice that I can get! lol

Read the whole thread. I would definitely take it the 3rd time if I were in your shoes. However, although I do believe that you can achieve 170+, it'll take a lot of prepping/studying. A lot more than you've done before.

1) Go do everything that is listed in this thread's top post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657
It's a study guide thread. It's the "ultimate game plan" that you're looking for.

2) While doing the prep as suggested in 1), search the forum to find a good way to review the PTs you've taken. I don't think you're doing your reviews correctly if you've actually studied as much as you said you have.

3) Come to the forum to ask for help while you're prepping.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”