Black Female | 2.95 GPA | 163 LSAT

destined4gr8ness

Black Female | 2.95 GPA | 163 LSAT

Postby destined4gr8ness » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Black Female | 2.95 GPA | 163 LSAT :oops:
I attended a public university in North Carolina (not UNC :wink: ). Majored in Marketing and received my certification in Business Spanish.

I have a few notable softs:
-Interned for both Procter & Gamble and Hallmark Cards, Inc. at their corporate headquarters
-Interned for McGuireWoods LLP
-Started my own (successful!) business
-Very involved with community service (Relay for Life, Ronald McDonald House, Habitat for Humanity, etc.)
-Fluent in Spanish and studied abroad in Costa Rica
-Honors student (LSAC knocked me down a bit :x )

...I am also a skilled writer, and am anticipating 2 very strong recommendations!

What are my chances of getting into:
1. Emory
2. Notre Dame
3. University of Texas - Austin
4. Georgetown
5. University of Georgia
6. Cornell
7. UVA

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :D

Nova

Re: Black Female | 2.95 GPA | 163 LSAT

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 10:38 pm

destined4gr8ness wrote:
1. Emory (In)
2. Notre Dame (In)
3. University of Texas - Austin (out)
4. Georgetown (out)
5. University of Georgia (in)
6. Cornell (out)
7. UVA (out)

OP, we are a lot alike. Im 2.9/167 URM (MA). We both have terrible GPAs but decent apptitude and diversity.

You have to give the schools you are reaching for a good [numerical] reason to admit you. The best way of doing that, at this point, is having an LSAT that is at or above the schools median as a URM.

Since you already proved you can do well on the LSAT, I suggest retaking in June or October. If you hit the LSAT medians at your reach schools, you would have a much better shot at being admitted.

Calchexas

Postby Calchexas » Thu May 03, 2012 10:39 pm

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

^Fantastic resource, although I wouldn't take it as gospel unless you're talking about the T20 - your numbers all but guarantee that you can't get into those schools, and I would just save your money.

Other tier one schools are worth giving a shot, though (Emory Notre Dame Georgia): your URM status with really cool softs makes for a very competitive combo if they're "on the fence."

P.S. Write a GPR addendum to every school in the top 100 you apply to.

P.P.S. Ditto on the retake suggestion.

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Nova wrote:
destined4gr8ness wrote:
1. Emory (In)
2. Notre Dame (In)
3. University of Texas - Austin (out)
4. Georgetown (out)
5. University of Georgia (in)
6. Cornell (out)
7. UVA (out)

OP, we are a lot alike. Im 2.9/167 URM (MA). We both have terrible GPAs but decent apptitude and diversity.

You have to give the schools you are reaching for a good [numerical] reason to admit you. The best way of doing that, at this point, is having an LSAT that is at or above the schools median as a URM.

Since you already proved you can do well on the LSAT, I suggest retaking in June or October. If you hit the LSAT medians at your reach schools, you would have a much better shot at being admitted.

Thank you for such a fast response! :) ...I definitely plan to give it another shot!

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Thu May 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Calchexas wrote:http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Full-Time-Programs.htm

^Fantastic resource, although I wouldn't take it as gospel unless you're talking about the T20 - your numbers all but guarantee that you can't get into those schools, and I would just save your money.

Other tier one schools are worth giving a shot, though (Emory Notre Dame Georgia): your URM status with really cool softs makes for a very competitive combo if they're "on the fence."

P.S. Write a GPR addendum to every school in the top 100 you apply to.

P.P.S. Ditto on the retake suggestion.

Solid advice; I appreciate your honesty!

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Retake and apply to all those universities anyway. Will get a nice URM bump, and get a 168ish, and you will be looking at T14.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:47 pm

destined4gr8ness wrote:Black Female | 2.95 GPA | 163 LSAT :oops:
I attended a public university in North Carolina (not UNC :wink: ). Majored in Marketing and received my certification in Business Spanish.

-Interned for both Procter & Gamble and Hallmark Cards, Inc. at their corporate headquarters
-Very involved with community service (Relay for Life, Ronald McDonald House, Habitat for Humanity, etc.)

...I am also a skilled writer, and am anticipating 2 very strong recommendations!

1. Emory
2. Notre Dame
4. Georgetown
5. University of Georgia
6. Cornell
7. UVA

Barring a miracle, every school on your list is completely out of range. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not going to inflate your ego like the rest of the people on here. UVA, Cornell?...With a 2.95/163? Who are you kidding? Unless your "successful business" is nationally known (ie. facebook, twitter, etc.) then PLEASE stop this madness. If you are planning on law school the first thing you need to do is be realistic, but right now you are living in fantasy land. Retake, and lower your standards.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Systematic1 wrote: Barring a miracle, every school on your list is completely out of range. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not going to inflate your ego like the rest of the people on here. UVA, Cornell?...With a 2.95/163? Who are you kidding? Unless your "successful business" is nationally known (ie. facebook, twitter, etc.) then PLEASE stop this madness. If you are planning on law school the first thing you need to do is be realistic, but right now you are living in fantasy land. Retake, and lower your standards.

No one said she has a shot at UT/Cornell/Gtown/UVA. Everyone said retake. Not sure what you were reading...

Right now, OP does have a shot at the other T1s (not so much ND). Your sweeping generalization is wrong.

This year, Emory has admitted a 3.7 155 URM. They have waitlisted 10 URMs with LSATs of under 160 and under 3.3. OP would have better stats than all of them.

This year, a 164 2.8 URM got UGA. So did a 155 3.3 URM. So did a 160 3.4 URM.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Nova wrote:
Systematic1 wrote: Barring a miracle, every school on your list is completely out of range. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not going to inflate your ego like the rest of the people on here. UVA, Cornell?...With a 2.95/163? Who are you kidding? Unless your "successful business" is nationally known (ie. facebook, twitter, etc.) then PLEASE stop this madness. If you are planning on law school the first thing you need to do is be realistic, but right now you are living in fantasy land. Retake, and lower your standards.

No one said she has a shot at UT/Cornell/Gtown/UVA. Everyone said retake. Not sure what you were reading...

Right now, OP does have a shot at the other T1s (not so much ND). Your sweeping generalization is wrong.

This year, Emory has admitted a 3.7 155 URM. They have waitlisted 10 URMs with LSATs of under 160 and under 3.3. OP would have better stats than all of them.

Agreed that OP is not shut out of T1. I had 165, 2.85 and am NON-URM but with good WE and softs, and I was waitlisted last year at Fordham, but decided to withdraw my app and take a half-tuition scholly at a T2. I say this to make two points: 1. I should have been an auto-deny at Fordham, so numbers are not always everything, and 2. a few more points on the LSAT can make a world of difference. Good luck, OP!

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Nova wrote:No one said she has a shot at UT/Cornell/Gtown/UVA.

:roll: :roll:
dietcoke0 wrote:Retake and apply to all those universities anyway. Will get a nice URM bump, and get a 168ish, and you will be looking at T14.

Cornell/Gtown/UVA are all T14...

Retakes can't solve everything. Neither can URM status. Be realistic, that's all I ask.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
Nova wrote:No one said she has a shot at UT/Cornell/Gtown/UVA.

dietcoke0 wrote:Retake and apply to all those universities anyway. Will get a nice URM bump, and get a 168ish, and you will be looking at T14.

Cornell/Gtown/UVA are all T14...

Retakes can't solve everything. Neither can URM status. Be realistic, that's all I ask.

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant with her current score.

I would put the number at 170 for a shot at T14. Do you realize how many AAs score 170 plus? a handful (<100). Scoring above the median as a URM gives you a shot. By no means is it a guarantee.

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Fri May 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
destined4gr8ness wrote:Black Female | 2.95 GPA | 163 LSAT :oops:

1. Emory
2. Notre Dame
4. Georgetown
5. University of Georgia
6. Cornell
7. UVA

Barring a miracle, every school on your list is completely out of range. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not going to inflate your ego like the rest of the people on here. UVA, Cornell?...With a 2.95/163? Who are you kidding? Unless your "successful business" is nationally known (ie. facebook, twitter, etc.) then PLEASE stop this madness. If you are planning on law school the first thing you need to do is be realistic, but right now you are living in fantasy land. Retake, and lower your standards.

It is nationally known, actually... Internationally as well. Thank you for your opinion.

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Lawst wrote:
Nova wrote:

Agreed that OP is not shut out of T1. I had 165, 2.85 and am NON-URM but with good WE and softs, and I was waitlisted last year at Fordham, but decided to withdraw my app and take a half-tuition scholly at a T2. I say this to make two points: 1. I should have been an auto-deny at Fordham, so numbers are not always everything, and 2. a few more points on the LSAT can make a world of difference. Good luck, OP!

Thank you, I really appreciate it! Very motivational/inspirational stats! :D

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Fri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks! That's the plan! *fingers crossed*

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 pm

destined4gr8ness wrote:It is nationally known, actually... Internationally as well. Thank you for your opinion.

Zuckerburg, is that you?

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
destined4gr8ness wrote:It is nationally known, actually... Internationally as well. Thank you for your opinion.

Zuckerburg, is that you?

Your "humor" suggests a lack of maturity. I didn't post to be entertained... k'thanks bye.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Systematic1 wrote:

Zuckerburg, is that you?

Zuck ~= black female

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:30 pm

destined4gr8ness wrote:I didn't post to be entertained...

Sure you did, you're entertaining yourself with wild fantasies of a T14 when your numbers are clearly not sufficient-even if you were to have a stellar retake. At some point you'll have to accept that. I'm just looking out for you.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
destined4gr8ness wrote:I didn't post to be entertained...

Sure you did, you're entertaining yourself with wild fantasies of a T14 when your numbers are clearly not sufficient-even if you were to have a stellar retake. At some point you'll have to accept that. I'm just looking out for you.

SMH :roll:

URMs at Gtown:
160, 2.25
160, 3.1
155, 3.7
163, 3.3
166, 3.2
166, 3.3
168, 3.1

destined4gr8ness

Postby destined4gr8ness » Fri May 04, 2012 7:14 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:

Zuckerburg, is that you?

Zuck ~= black female

lol Thank you for making it plain, Nucky :wink:

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sat May 05, 2012 7:54 pm

You might get more useful information if you post this in the correct portion of the forums. I thought I was in the wrong spot at first when I saw this post.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”