I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Nova wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
They dont offer the LSAT in December this year... Only Feb 2013.



I should have looked into this right away. Nmop, Idk where you heard that but the December 2012 test is on Dec 1st.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/us-dec-2012-dates.asp

Because of this, I really think waiting till Oct is the best plan of attack. Then have your safety plan be retaking in Dec, and re re taking in Feb/following year.

I think that gives you the best opportunity to increase your score as much as possible for this cycle.



Wait, Nova, so what about this plan of attack.

Since I'm allowed three LSAT attempts in however many years, shouldn't I take June, then if necessary October (these two attempts would exhaust my fee waivers) and then if necessary December (which I could pay on my own)?

It seems as if I should do that, that way I can still apply with these scores for the 2013 cycle.

I'm sorry, I swear I didnt see a December LSAT. I guess I'm just fucking retarded...


Can anyone else, including Nova, chime in with their opinion? TYIA
What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?


Well, that's what I was hoping for... Im hoping that the experience gained coupled with my studying for October will help me knock it out of the park in October. Even if I dont score a 165+ in June, I know that the schools I'm applying to will use my highest score so I'm not worried about having multiple LSATs.
Then, whatever. Take it in June for kicks and experience. How many times do you need that choice validated?

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri May 04, 2012 1:15 pm

How much time can you spend on studying right now? Are you working? Still in school? If you have a lot of free time and can seriously devote much of it to studying for the LSAT, then I would take in June. If not, October with December as a backup.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?


Well, that's what I was hoping for... Im hoping that the experience gained coupled with my studying for October will help me knock it out of the park in October. Even if I dont score a 165+ in June, I know that the schools I'm applying to will use my highest score so I'm not worried about having multiple LSATs.

Don't do this. Sure, most schools will take the higher score, but why would you want that blemish on your application? If you apply with a 157/170+ you're going to need a really good addendum. "I knew you'd take the higher score, so I took the LSAT un(der)prepared" will not suffice.

markeconrad
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby markeconrad » Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Why not just wait and see how you are doing right before the deadline to register which is in like two weeks?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 2:18 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 2:35 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?


Well, that's what I was hoping for... Im hoping that the experience gained coupled with my studying for October will help me knock it out of the park in October. Even if I dont score a 165+ in June, I know that the schools I'm applying to will use my highest score so I'm not worried about having multiple LSATs.

Don't do this. Sure, most schools will take the higher score, but why would you want that blemish on your application? If you apply with a 157/170+ you're going to need a really good addendum. "I knew you'd take the higher score, so I took the LSAT un(der)prepared" will not suffice.


I do think June-Oct-Dec is a decent [safety] plan, but still only if you know you can break 160 on a bad day. Even if multiple tests do not affect their medians, mbphd has a good point. 159/162/165 is not going to look as good as just a 165 or 165 and 1 other non 15*.

Another something to consider would be if you waited till Oct (which would surely entail an extra point or two) and retake in Dec, if you arent satisfied, you could wait till the following June to reretake. This would allow you to sit through a cycle, evaluate your options, and still have a retake left before you start 1L. Then If you do better next June, you can decide whether or not It would be a good idea to sit out. LSAT is like riding a bike or muscle memory. You woulnt be as sharp when you just started studying again, but it wont take long to regain your proficiency.

Basically, my philosphy is that you should give your self as much time as possible to get the highest scores possible. I feel like you want to lower your test anxiety by getting a real LSAT out of the way. But trust me, taking the June test and scoring 15* will put much more pressure on you for the Oct test.

Again, if you get to the point where you score 160 on a bad day, take the June test.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 2:43 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:Don't do this. Sure, most schools will take the higher score, but why would you want that blemish on your application? If you apply with a 157/170+ you're going to need a really good addendum. "I knew you'd take the higher score, so I took the LSAT un(der)prepared" will not suffice.


Is the blemish really that big of a deal? Sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending, but I really have heard a lot to the contrary.

ETA: Who says I have to justify it to them? What if I just write an addendum saying I took the first LSAT cold... I know this is lying, but what does it matter to them? Again, I am not trying to be condescending. There is really no other ways to phrase these questions without being straightforward.



You would certainly have to write an addendum if you went from 15* to 170+. 159->165, probably not.


The blemish is a considerationbecause there will be other candidates with your numbers. If another URM has about your GPA and LSAT but only sat for the LSAT once, it may be the tie breaker. But thats only at the margins. If you are well above the median LSAT you are probably good.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 2:43 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Br3v » Fri May 04, 2012 2:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Nova wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
They dont offer the LSAT in December this year... Only Feb 2013.



I should have looked into this right away. Nmop, Idk where you heard that but the December 2012 test is on Dec 1st.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/us-dec-2012-dates.asp

Because of this, I really think waiting till Oct is the best plan of attack. Then have your safety plan be retaking in Dec, and re re taking in Feb/following year.

I think that gives you the best opportunity to increase your score as much as possible for this cycle.



Wait, Nova, so what about this plan of attack.

Since I'm allowed three LSAT attempts in however many years, shouldn't I take June, then if necessary October (these two attempts would exhaust my fee waivers) and then if necessary December (which I could pay on my own)?

It seems as if I should do that, that way I can still apply with these scores for the 2013 cycle.

I'm sorry, I swear I didnt see a December LSAT. I guess I'm just fucking retarded...


Can anyone else, including Nova, chime in with their opinion? TYIA
What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?


Bad advice IMO. As I stated, test is over a month away. Our what, 5 points off? Keep studying, make secession a week or so out. Really nothing more to discuss

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Br3v wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?


Bad advice IMO. As I stated, test is over a month away. Our what, 5 points off? Keep studying, make secession a week or so out. Really nothing more to discuss
I was saying that on the assumption that he won't be near his target PT scores by June, which is what he implies in the OP. If he were, then of course he should take it.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby acrossthelake » Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 pm

I wouldn't take it in June because I don't think taking it in a "real" environment is worth giving up one of your three shots. It's just a standardized test--just like the SAT, ACT, AP exams, etc. If you want to 'simulate it', go look for the Kaplan simulation days. It'll be missing the adrenaline, but it's not like going through the adrenaline environment once is necessarily going to help you next time. You're either someone who chokes under the pressure of the testing environment, does alright, or thrives under it. And if it turns out you're a choker, it'll probably make you choke worse the second time knowing you're running out of tries.

littlebit
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby littlebit » Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Studying for the LSAT sucks, why would you want to drag this out and not get on with you life? Take a two week vacation and hit it hard. Make sure you know how to study for this test - there are great links for this in this forum. This is assuming you have been studying for the last year and you are aware of your weak areas, etc. Quit pussy footing around and get it done in the shortest amount of time.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Br3v » Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:What benefit are you expecting to get out of taking June? You are NOT going to suddenly score a 165 if you haven't been practicing there. The only benefit would be to get the experience of taking a real test. Is that worth it to you?


Bad advice IMO. As I stated, test is over a month away. Our what, 5 points off? Keep studying, make secession a week or so out. Really nothing more to discuss
I was saying that on the assumption that he won't be near his target PT scores by June, which is what he implies in the OP. If he were, then of course he should take it.


Credited. I just want OP to know that there is still time.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

littlebit wrote:Studying for the LSAT sucks, why would you want to drag this out and not get on with you life? Take a two week vacation and hit it hard. Make sure you know how to study for this test - there are great links for this in this forum. This is assuming you have been studying for the last year and you are aware of your weak areas, etc. Quit pussy footing around and get it done in the shortest amount of time.



LOL @ 2 week vacation before June LSAT. Yeah right.

I agree that OP should look to find ways to study more efficiently. But OP works full time.. he needs to spend most of his free time studying unless taking a day off every once in a while to avoid burn out.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I wouldn't take it in June because I don't think taking it in a "real" environment is worth giving up one of your three shots. It's just a standardized test--just like the SAT, ACT, AP exams, etc. If you want to 'simulate it', go look for the Kaplan simulation days. It'll be missing the adrenaline, but it's not like going through the adrenaline environment once is necessarily going to help you next time. You're either someone who chokes under the pressure of the testing environment, does alright, or thrives under it. And if it turns out you're a choker, it'll probably make you choke worse the second time knowing you're running out of tries.


You got a 173 on your first diagnostic. I don't trust you! haha jk, but serously, thank you for the input. I definitely agree with the sentiment that taking June would probably put more pressure on October (if I decide to take and retake). I don't think I choke under pressure, but then again I've never taken a test this meaningful.

littlebit wrote:Studying for the LSAT sucks, why would you want to drag this out and not get on with you life? Take a two week vacation and hit it hard. Make sure you know how to study for this test - there are great links for this in this forum. This is assuming you have been studying for the last year and you are aware of your weak areas, etc. Quit pussy footing around and get it done in the shortest amount of time.


The only way I could respond to this is with Nova's post:
Nova wrote:LOL @ 2 week vacation before June LSAT. Yeah right.

I agree that OP should look to find ways to study more efficiently. But OP works full time.. he needs to spend most of his free time studying unless taking a day off every once in a while to avoid burn out.



Br3v wrote: Credited. I just want OP to know that there is still time.


Thank, Br3v. Your advice has been mighty helpful.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Edit for repost*

dcespedes
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dcespedes » Fri May 04, 2012 4:08 pm

@nmop_apisdn Im in a very similiar boat bro (or sis lol). Ive already applied to law schools for this upcoming fall and have received most of my offers, and rejections, but after coming on here and getting the advice of others im considering turning down my current offers from lower ranked t2 and t3 schools to take the LSAT one last time. If I do this though I have to score at least a 165 to make that decision worthwhile. Im not sure if that is possible since i worked really hard to score just a 160. Im at a loss of what to do so I def feel your pain!

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby acrossthelake » Fri May 04, 2012 4:15 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I wouldn't take it in June because I don't think taking it in a "real" environment is worth giving up one of your three shots. It's just a standardized test--just like the SAT, ACT, AP exams, etc. If you want to 'simulate it', go look for the Kaplan simulation days. It'll be missing the adrenaline, but it's not like going through the adrenaline environment once is necessarily going to help you next time. You're either someone who chokes under the pressure of the testing environment, does alright, or thrives under it. And if it turns out you're a choker, it'll probably make you choke worse the second time knowing you're running out of tries.


You got a 173 on your first diagnostic. I don't trust you! haha jk, but serously, thank you for the input. I definitely agree with the sentiment that taking June would probably put more pressure on October (if I decide to take and retake). I don't think I choke under pressure, but then again I've never taken a test this meaningful.



I wasn't talking all that much from personal experience. I've just seen a lot of people underperform under pressure, and I've also seen a lot of people retake only to get the same exact score.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 4:19 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby acrossthelake » Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Splitters normally don't get much money, if at all. It's the tough life of a splitter. That said, URM + 165 looks pretty set. High-scoring URMs are in high demand. I've seen some weak GPAs(<3.4) tied to high LSAT scores (175+) get black URMs into HLS.

ETA: I should note, though, that those ppl also had decent softs.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 4:35 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rwhyAn
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rwhyAn » Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Splitters normally don't get much money, if at all. It's the tough life of a splitter. That said, URM + 165 looks pretty set. High-scoring URMs are in high demand. I've seen some weak GPAs(<3.4) tied to high LSAT scores (175+) get black URMs into HLS.


Wow, that's good information. I understand that splitters dont get money like non-splitters, which is why having an LSAT is important, so that my chances of getting money go up. Even if I got 8k a year, that would almost cut my tuition in half. And I'll have savings to hopefully be able to pay my living expenses. A degree from the U of A even at sticker 60-70k still seems worth it to me.

The question still exists, what LSAT should I be looking to achieve at the minimum solely for admission. Then, what LSAT should I be looking to get to even have a CHANCE at some moniez.BTW, thank you all who have responded! I definitely appreciate the feeback.



180 and 180. Strive for perfection; settle for excellence.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 5:01 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StopLawying and 6 guests