I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Editttttt
Last edited by dowu on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:34 pm

If you're not where you need to be, then no. Don't take it. Wait until October or next year.

UNLESS you don't mind spending the money just to experience a real test. I suppose for some people that could be valuable experience.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 7:37 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you're not where you need to be, then no. Don't take it. Wait until October or next year.

UNLESS you don't mind spending the money just to experience a real test. I suppose for some people that could be valuable experience.


Oh okay, well I also got the fee waiver so I have 2 free administrations, in case that changes anything. Also, I graduated in May last year, so this is already my "year off" and I have almost everything ready to go with the exception of my LSAT score.
I still wouldn't take it until your PT scores are where you want them. Very few people outscore their PTs on the real thing, and most people drop a few points. So that 157 could very easily be low 150s, and what was the point in wasting a fee waiver?

For 99.9% of people, taking a year off is a better choice than applying with a crappy LSAT score.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

You should wait.

If you are not PTing above what you would like to score in June, then you most likely wont get that score.

For a splitter, an extra point or 2 >>> getting the LSAT out of the way in June instead of Oct.

Im a URM splitter too btw. 3.0/ median LSAT. I got in after applying in Jan with my Dec score.

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby law2015 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

OP, there is no difference between taking the test in June or October. Either way you are applying next cycle and if you take it in October you can still apply fairly early in the cycle. Don't take the test until you are scoring at least that 165 that you want.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 8:07 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 8:11 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
What if I plan on taking both June and October? Since if I screw up October's test, I wont be in time for next cycle. But if I take it in June, I will have gained the experience of my testing environment and then plan a retake for October...



Nova wrote:Im a URM splitter too btw. 3.0/ median LSAT. I got in after applying in Jan with my Dec score.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 8:13 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcthebigred1
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:19 am

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby rcthebigred1 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 pm

You guys are aware that the June LSAT is still over a month away, right? Plenty of time to keep prepping and improve.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 pm

WTF!?!

Take it in June then.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

rcthebigred1 wrote:You guys are aware that the June LSAT is still over a month away, right? Plenty of time to keep prepping and improve.


This is what my gf is saying. I am around high 150s right now and all that I need is a 165. Thats like, 5-6 more questions correct.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Br3v » Thu May 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Completely disagree with most of the advice ITT. I am a few points of, roughly the same, from Where I want to score in June and I am taking June. There is over a month to go! If we were a week out then yeah, maybe, but not with this much time. Aim for June OP, if a week out you have yet to see enough improvement hold off till Oct is an option though I would probably take June and Oct if your June score didn't pan out. Only reason I feel OP shouldn't take June is if OP does not think they can break 160

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Nova wrote:WTF!?!

Take it in June then.


Sorry dude. Im not trying to piss you off and I definitely appreciate the feed back.



Not mad brah. Just really shocked there is no Dec LSAT this year.

FWIW:

June 2010: 72 for 160 / 80 for 165 / Difference of 8

Oct 2010: 74 for 160 / 82 for 165 / Difference of 8

Dec 2010: 72 for 160 / 80 for 165 / Difference of 8

June 2011: 75 for 160 / 83 for 165 / Difference of 8

Oct 2011: 73 for 160 / 81 for 165 / Difference of 8

Dec 2011: 73 for 160 / 80 for 165 / Difference of 7

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Br3v wrote: Only reason I feel OP shouldn't take June is if OP does not think they can break 160


IMO, OP should not take the June LSAT unless 160 is worst case scenario.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Br3v » Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Nova wrote:
Br3v wrote: Only reason I feel OP shouldn't take June is if OP does not think they can break 160


IMO, OP should not take the June LSAT unless 160 is worst case scenario.


But your goal score probably is/was different than OP. OP wants a 165, my advice is take if you think you can break 160 which is basically what you just said.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Br3v wrote:
Nova wrote:
Br3v wrote: Only reason I feel OP shouldn't take June is if OP does not think they can break 160


IMO, OP should not take the June LSAT unless 160 is worst case scenario.


But your goal score probably is/was different than OP. OP wants a 165, my advice is take if you think you can break 160 which is basically what you just said.


I am attempting to put myself in OPs shoes.

I interpreted your statement like you said, "If OP thinks he can break 160, then he ought to take the june LSAT" my statement is " If OP is not positive that he will break 160 (on a bad day), then he should not take the June LSAT." =/=.

Let me rephrase. If OP is not positive he will score 5 less points then his target, he has no business sitting for the test at that sitting.

By all means, OP should sign up for June, but then make the call about sitting for it much closer to test day.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Br3v » Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Basically do what you haven't been doing.
Easier said then done.
If you've been studying for almost a yr then I know for sure it hasn't been high intensity or else you'd be at the bottom of a bridge somewhere.

Kick it up 10 notches!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Br3v wrote:Kick it up 10 notches!


For sure. 1 test > 4 years of grades

Give it all you got!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 11:49 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
They dont offer the LSAT in December this year... Only Feb 2013.



I should have looked into this right away. Nmop, Idk where you heard that but the December 2012 test is on Dec 1st.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/us-dec-2012-dates.asp

Because of this, I really think waiting till Oct is the best plan of attack. Then have your safety plan be retaking in Dec, and re re taking in Feb/following year.

I think that gives you the best opportunity to increase your score as much as possible for this cycle.

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: I need some advice on my LSAT situation.

Postby dowu » Fri May 04, 2012 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by dowu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”