LR Question (PT 34 - June 2001 Section 3, #19)

beezneez

LR Question (PT 34 - June 2001 Section 3, #19)

Postby beezneez » Thu May 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi all,

Hope you can help me understand the right answer choice for this basic "must be true question."

I chose B (the right answer), simply because it was better than the rest, though I feel that the correct answer choice actually made an unwarranted assumption by bringing in additional information - "more error prone in hot than cold surroundings." The text says nothing about hot temps making the molecular motion faster (or anything about speed of molecules, so wouldn't this be an unwarranted assumption? I thought so at first glance. Perhaps I was meant to draw the independent conclusion that heat makes molecules move faster (common sense), but we aren't supposed to bring outside info in, right?
Last edited by beezneez on Thu May 03, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: LR Question (PT 34 - June 2001 Section 2, #19

Postby Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Thats actually section 3, and you are not supposed to post actual LSAT questions. You should edit it out. Most of us have our own copies.

That is a difficult question.

beezneez wrote:I chose B (the right answer), simply because it was better than the rest, though I feel that the correct answer choice actually made an unwarranted assumption by bringing in additional information - "more error prone in hot than cold surroundings." The text says nothing about hot temps making the molecular motion faster (or anything about speed of molecules, so wouldn't this be an unwarranted assumption? I thought so at first glance. Perhaps I was meant to draw the independent conclusion that heat makes molecules move faster (common sense), but we aren't supposed to bring outside info in, right?

The stim says that motion is directly proportional to temperature. Thus, higher temp = more motion. More motion = possible error. So if the body temp matches the surroundings, hot temp = more motion = possible error.

beezneez

Re: LR Question (PT 34 - June 2001 Section 3, #19)

Postby beezneez » Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Didn't know about posting actual questions, thanks! :oops:

And thanks for the responses.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”