LR-usually have 4 or 5 minutes extra

whiteness

LR-usually have 4 or 5 minutes extra

Postby whiteness » Thu May 03, 2012 3:21 pm

I usually have 4 or 5 minutes left after I've finished all questions. I put a mark beside the ones I'm not sure about. Does anyone advise going back and rethinking them or leaving them alone? I always heard it is best to trust your first answer but when I look back over I'm not so sure that if I didn't go back I could have gotten at least one or two of the three or 4 I usually miss right.

flem

Re: LR-usually have 4 or 5 minutes extra

Postby flem » Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm

If you're missing some, just take a little bit more time in the first place to make sure you've got the right answer. 5 minutes extra is a lot of time.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 03, 2012 3:24 pm

whiteness wrote:I usually have 4 or 5 minutes left after I've finished all questions. I put a mark beside the ones I'm not sure about. Does anyone advise going back and rethinking them or leaving them alone? I always heard it is best to trust your first answer but when I look back over I'm not so sure that if I didn't go back I could have gotten at least one or two of the three or 4 I usually miss right.

I don't see anything wrong with going back and looking over your maybes. You may see something that you missed.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I also end LR with many minutes left and I would definitely advice going back and checking. The amount of time you will catch an error you missed the first time is way more than the amount of times you will erase a right answer and put a wrong one.

One useful approach, since you have the time, is read questions you marked as if you are reading them for the first time. This helps me notice a detail I completely skipped over and even continued to skip when checking my answer with the stimulus since I had a notion of what was important and what wasn't, which later turned out to be wrong.
Also, what has helped me recently is giving answers crossed off a second chance, especially when you are deciding between two answers that both seem fuzzy. I have noticed that when I am deciding between two answers and don't really love either, more often the right answer is one already eliminated instead of one of those two. This happens because I eliminated through misinterpretation, and when I knew it was right and took it to a logical conclusion, I saw it clearly fit when the "almost right" ones did not.

Lastly, if you still have time, make sure you marked your bubbles appropriately. On preptests I have missed two questions due to mismarked bubbles when I had the right answer. This accident could decrease your over score by TWO points sometimes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”