Can someone explain the setup for "most" "some" questions?

dbt

Can someone explain the setup for "most" "some" questions?

Postby dbt » Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I am trying to teach someone it, and I forget. I used Powerscore, but don't have the books anymore.

msblaw89

Re: Can someone explain the setup for "most" "some" questions?

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm

dbt wrote:I am trying to teach someone it, and I forget. I used Powerscore, but don't have the books anymore.

Most is greater than or equal to 51%, including 100%. Some means at least one up to 100%

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Most automobile companies are foreign companies, even though very few foreign companies are automobile companies. It follows that some companies that have domestic production plants are foreign companies.

Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the argument's conclusion to be properly drawn?

(A) Most companies that have domestic production plants are automobile companies.

(B) Some automobile companies are not foreign companies.

(C) Most automobile companies have domestic production plants.

(D) Many foreign companies are automobile companies.

(E) Many automobile companies have domestic production plants.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 pm

dbt wrote:Most automobile companies are foreign companies, even though very few foreign companies are automobile companies. It follows that some companies that have domestic production plants are foreign companies.

Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the argument's conclusion to be properly drawn?

(A) Most companies that have domestic production plants are automobile companies.

(B) Some automobile companies are not foreign companies.

(C) Most automobile companies have domestic production plants.

(D) Many foreign companies are automobile companies.

(E) Many automobile companies have domestic production plants.

The answer is C . The evidence says Greater than 50% of AutoComp are Foreign Comp. The conclusion says that at least one company with a domestic plant is foreign. Whats new in the conclusion that doesn't appear in the evidence? Domestic plants...so we need to have that in our answer... You can eliminate B, D. Somehow you need to show that at least one AutoComp with domestic production is a foreign company. So we need an answer that says more than 50% of Auto companies are foreign AND more than 50% of auto companies are domestic... therefore the overlap would ensure you have at least one AutoComp with domestic plants that is foreign.

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu May 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you!

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm

dbt wrote:Thank you!

Think if most A's are B's, and most A's are C's, then there are SOME B's that are C's because of the overlap

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”