LR Question Explanation Help

Rehmsmeyer

LR Question Explanation Help

Postby Rehmsmeyer » Wed May 02, 2012 6:19 pm

"The law of the city of Weston regarding the contributions to mayoral campaigns is as follows: all contributions to these campaigns in excess of $100 made by nonresidents of Weston who are not former residents of Weston must be registered with the city council. Brimley's mayoral campaign clearly complied with this law since it accepted contributions only from residents and former residents of Weston."

"If all the statements above are true, which one of the following statements must be true?

(C) No contributions to Brimley campaign needed to be registered with the city council.

(E) Brimley's campaign did not register any contributions with the city council.

All other answers are irrelevant. (C) is the correct answer, but I was torn between (E) and (C) and any time trying to analyze one over the other is a waste of valuable time, so I choose and chose incorrectly. My question is, they seem so similar, and after 5 minutes of trying to find the correlation between the correct and wrong answer and the sentence I was stumped. I can see the obvious differences in the sentence, but cannot figure out why either one is more right than the other. Unless he could voluntarily register contributes <$100, that is the only thing that would make me think (C) is slightly more correct. Any help?

gatesome

Re: LR Question Explanation Help

Postby gatesome » Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm

The prompt is ambiguous to the question "Do contributions from residents need to be registered with city hall? (it only states that contributions from nonresidents must" so conceivably they did register some contributions, regardless of weather or not this was required, so C.

Another way of putting it perhaps:

law - > Nonres contributions -> must be registered
campaign only accepted donations from res, therefore none must be registered, C

Ellee13

Postby Ellee13 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm

If you choose E, then you have made the assumption that contributions came from residents/former residents. That assumption is not the only option, because if the campaign did not report any contributions it could also mean that that the campaign did not receive any contributions. We know this second option cannot be true because the question states that everything in the paragraph is true, ie, that the campaign received contributions from residents and former residents.

C states that the contributions did not need to be reported, and this can only happen if all contributions came from residents/former residents. We know that to be a true, therefore C is the correct answer.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu May 03, 2012 12:37 am

Ellee13 wrote:If you choose E, then you have made the assumption that contributions came from residents/former residents. That assumption is not the only option, because if the campaign did not report any contributions it could also mean that that the campaign did not receive any contributions. We know this second option cannot be true because the question states that everything in the paragraph is true, ie, that the campaign received contributions from residents and former residents.

C states that the contributions did not need to be reported, and this can only happen if all contributions came from residents/former residents. We know that to be a true, therefore C is the correct answer.

Personally, this advice seemed very confusing to me, and I am not completely sure it makes sense. But if this works for OP, then whatever.

But to answer OP the best I can. They are very similar, but you already stated why we need to pick C, we do not know if he can voluntarily register contributions <$100, but we do know for sure, 100% that he at least does not HAVE TO register any contribution with the council. Therefor, E could be true, but C must be true.

HBradly2

Postby HBradly2 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 am

Rehmsmeyer wrote:"The law of the city of Weston regarding the contributions to mayoral campaigns is as follows: all contributions to these campaigns in excess of $100 made by nonresidents of Weston who are not former residents of Weston must be registered with the city council. Brimley's mayoral campaign clearly complied with this law since it accepted contributions only from residents and former residents of Weston."

"If all the statements above are true, which one of the following statements must be true?

(C) No contributions to Brimley campaign needed to be registered with the city council.

(E) Brimley's campaign did not register any contributions with the city council.

All other answers are irrelevant. (C) is the correct answer, but I was torn between (E) and (C) and any time trying to analyze one over the other is a waste of valuable time, so I choose and chose incorrectly. My question is, they seem so similar, and after 5 minutes of trying to find the correlation between the correct and wrong answer and the sentence I was stumped. I can see the obvious differences in the sentence, but cannot figure out why either one is more right than the other. Unless he could voluntarily register contributes <$100, that is the only thing that would make me think (C) is slightly more correct. Any help?

This is a copyright violation. I will be reporting this site to the LSAC first thing in the morning.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”