Sending LSAT scores & when to apply?

jya300

Sending LSAT scores & when to apply?

Postby jya300 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi,

Recently I realized I'll be able to graduate in 3 yrs so I'm suddenly thinking of applying to law schools this year.
But I want to make sure I have a reasonable timeline that'd still give me a good chance of getting into law schools-
I'm planning to take LSAT in October after intense prepping over the summer, and was wondering a couple things.

1) The scores come out roughly after three weeks, right? So I guess my October score would come out in the end of October.
How long does it take to send the score to law schools? If I report the score after I receive it, then when will my application be complete, assuming that I already handed everything else?

2) For T14 schools, does it make a lot of difference if I apply in mid-November ish, versus, say like early or mid October?
I don't know if that's still considered early enough, or my chances of getting into good law schools would significantly change.

3) How important are recs? My gpa is about 3.98 (private university, in top 15) and I think I can get decently good recs at this point, but I don't think they would be awesome, or stand out much (I haven't really developed deep relationships with professors yet, and since I'll be applying soon, technically in my Junior fall, I don't think I can make a big difference)

I'd really appreciate answers to any of these questions. Thank you!!!

Mr. Pancakes

Re: Sending LSAT scores & when to apply?

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 12:48 pm

lsac reports the scores for you.
apply as early as possible.
recs don't mean much.
Most would say Gpa is 25% and LSAT 75% of what matters.

Do not finish early if it will hurt your GPA.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed May 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:lsac reports the scores for you.
apply as early as possible.
recs don't mean much.
Most would say Gpa is 25% and LSAT 75% of what matters.

Do not finish early if it will hurt your GPA.

This, OP. Listen to this.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

jya300 wrote:For T14 schools, does it make a lot of difference if I apply in mid-November ish, versus, say like early or mid October?.

not really.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 pm

jya300 wrote:Hi,

Recently I realized I'll be able to graduate in 3 yrs so I'm suddenly thinking of applying to law schools this year.
But I want to make sure I have a reasonable timeline that'd still give me a good chance of getting into law schools-
I'm planning to take LSAT in October after intense prepping over the summer, and was wondering a couple things.

1) The scores come out roughly after three weeks, right? So I guess my October score would come out in the end of October.
How long does it take to send the score to law schools? If I report the score after I receive it, then when will my application be complete, assuming that I already handed everything else?

2) For T14 schools, does it make a lot of difference if I apply in mid-November ish, versus, say like early or mid October?
I don't know if that's still considered early enough, or my chances of getting into good law schools would significantly change.

3) How important are recs? My gpa is about 3.98 (private university, in top 15) and I think I can get decently good recs at this point, but I don't think they would be awesome, or stand out much (I haven't really developed deep relationships with professors yet, and since I'll be applying soon, technically in my Junior fall, I don't think I can make a big difference)

I'd really appreciate answers to any of these questions. Thank you!!!

LSAC takes care of reporting your LSAT score(s) to law schools you apply to. It's done through the LSAC CAS service, which is the service you use to electronically complete and submit your applications.

There is a sign-up fee for the CAS service plus an additional fee is charged per school you apply to in order for LSAC to transmit your LSAT score report, full CAS file and other stuff. You select which schools you would like your materials/score report sent to through the CAS system on LSAC.org

You don't have to pay LSAC the CAS fee up front to register an account to get started and get familiar with the system but will have to at some point to get things processed and to apply. Just go to http://www.lsac.org , register an account and check it out.

Once you register for the CAS service you can start completing applications and submitting the required elements (transcripts, LORs, personal statement, addendums if needed, etc.) anytime, even today if you register an account. You do not have to wait until you take the LSAT to start putting your application materials together and compiling them in your CAS account. Your applications just do not go complete until everything is there and you have paid the required fees (or been approved for fee waivers), plus have selected which schools you want them submitted to.

Applying in November to start LS the next fall would be good since it is early in the cycle. Most applications are not submitted or do not go complete until much later in the cycle.

LORs are important to some degree. Mediocre or bad ones (you never know what a prof is going to write and many don't let you see it although some do) can hurt you.

Your LSAT score is the most influential factor next to your GPA. Prepare well so you achieve a high score. If you do, combined with a 3.98 UGPA, you'll be a very competitive applicant for the T14 schools provided the rest of your application materials are well done without any major blemishes or red flags (like a crappy drooled on the page personal statement, bad LORs, or some sort of serious documented misconduct/criminal stuff).

You'll be a lock at many of the top schools if you can pull off a high LSAT score of ~170+ (or even high 160 range) as long as everything else is good and you maintain your GPA.
Last edited by Jeffort on Wed May 02, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Just because your GPA is a 3.98 you should still be prepared for it to be possibly lower due to the way LSAC calculates GPAs.

jya300

Postby jya300 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks a lot!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Why the rush?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”