"Could be true" Questions

beautyistruth

"Could be true" Questions

Postby beautyistruth » Tue May 01, 2012 8:53 pm

When you solve "could be true" questions, or some variation thereof where there can only be one possible combination, do you recommend stopping when you find a workable combination, or checking the other combinations to figure out why they aren't workable. On one hand, that seems like such a time suck, but on the other hand, not checking seems to open up the chance for careless error.

msblaw89

Re: "Could be true" Questions

Postby msblaw89 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

beautyistruth wrote:When you solve "could be true" questions, or some variation thereof where there can only be one possible combination, do you recommend stopping when you find a workable combination, or checking the other combinations to figure out why they aren't workable. On one hand, that seems like such a time suck, but on the other hand, not checking seems to open up the chance for careless error.

So with a CBT questions, the four wrong answers cannot be true...ever. So, if you come to an answer that CBT...its right and move on. Easier said than done of course..I normally scanned the rest of the answers just for comfort, but I didn't spend much time at all

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

beautyistruth wrote:When you solve "could be true" questions, or some variation thereof where there can only be one possible combination, do you recommend stopping when you find a workable combination, or checking the other combinations to figure out why they aren't workable. On one hand, that seems like such a time suck, but on the other hand, not checking seems to open up the chance for careless error.

If I'm fairly certain, I'll just move on, but note the question to go back to if I have time.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed May 02, 2012 1:55 pm

I just took an LG section and the only 2 questions I missed were both could be trues where I stopped after I THOUGHT I found a workable combination. I think I am going to circle every could be true question as I do it, and then go back to check the other options after I finish all 4 games. Hoping this strategy works for me.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed May 02, 2012 2:40 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I just took an LG section and the only 2 questions I missed were both could be trues where I stopped after I THOUGHT I found a workable combination. I think I am going to circle every could be true question as I do it, and then go back to check the other options after I finish all 4 games. Hoping this strategy works for me.

If you do it right, as soon as you find something that CBT, you've got the answer.

In practice, it's easy to miss something sometimes. However, there are usually 2-3 answers that are easily dismissible for a pretty straight-forward reason. While it is a time sink, I usually look at the other ones to make sure they run afoul a rule/deduction. If I have 2 answer left after this, I look at them a little more.

That's based on my belief that it's better to spend an extra 20 second on a question and get it right than spend time on a question and get it wrong. The upfront time cost of each question is much more than the marginal time cost of eliminating the extra answer choices.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”