Critique my LSAT Plan?

lawschool2014hopeful

Critique my LSAT Plan?

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Tue May 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey All,

My current plan is to work 1 section at a time, master it (-0/-1) in timed condition before moving on to the next section.

For example,

I am currently doing logical reasoning untimed, getting an average of -4, then when I get -1/0 consistent scores, I am going to start doing them timed, after mastering that I will start the same cycle with RC (re-reading the RC bible, unless someone else has a better suggestion for doing RC). But while I am studying for RC, I will do 1 set of questions of LR per day so I dont "forget" the lessons I learnt before. This way I should have most practice with LR, then RC, the LG.

The questions I am using are just old tests broken up.

After I feel I can master all sections timed with minimum mistakes I will do a PT every other day, or maybe everyday, depending on the timing.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Any suggestions?

Of course, I review extensively every question I get wrong, or even questions I got right that I didnt get "instantly"

dowu

Re: Critique my LSAT Plan?

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 pm

I think you should be doing a little of each. For instance:

Monday: LR
Tuesday: LG
Wednesday: RC
Thursday: off
Friday: LR
Saturday: PT
Sunday: Off

Otherwise, you'll have mastered one section, then go to the other sections and spend a lot of time on those while in the mean time forgetting what you previously mastered.

Then again, I think your method is doable, I just would recommend doing that sort of thing. Of course you'll get better at LR if you sat there for a month looking at it, but doing this just doesnt seem like the correct avenue, in my opinion.

Remember, you should be doing timed practice tests as well, to guage your ability, and also you'll need to be reviewing them thoroughly.

HTH

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Tue May 01, 2012 6:37 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:I think you should be doing a little of each. For instance:

Monday: LR
Tuesday: LG
Wednesday: RC
Thursday: off
Friday: LR
Saturday: PT
Sunday: Off

Otherwise, you'll have mastered one section, then go to the other sections and spend a lot of time on those while in the mean time forgetting what you previously mastered.

Then again, I think your method is doable, I just would recommend doing that sort of thing. Of course you'll get better at LR if you sat there for a month looking at it, but doing this just doesnt seem like the correct avenue, in my opinion.

Remember, you should be doing timed practice tests as well, to guage your ability, and also you'll need to be reviewing them thoroughly.

HTH

Haha your schedule makes me laugh because it reminded me of my workout schedules; Monday: Chest.. Tuesday: legs...... etc. etc. ahaha

I have a slight issue is that with your schedule I am afraid that I am just switching back and forth so much I will end up gaining nothing.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 pm

jimmierock wrote:Hey All,

My current plan is to work 1 section at a time, master it (-0/-1) in timed condition before moving on to the next section.

For example,

I am currently doing logical reasoning untimed, getting an average of -4, then when I get -1/0 consistent scores, I am going to start doing them timed, after mastering that I will start the same cycle with RC (re-reading the RC bible, unless someone else has a better suggestion for doing RC). But while I am studying for RC, I will do 1 set of questions of LR per day so I dont "forget" the lessons I learnt before. This way I should have most practice with LR, then RC, the LG.

After I feel I can master all sections timed with minimum mistakes I will do a PT every other day, or maybe everyday, depending on the timing.

Of course, I review extensively every question I get wrong, or even questions I got right that I didnt get "instantly"

When are you planning on taking the LSAT? I'm assuming it's not June. This could potentially work if you were going until October...the real (and almost inevitable) danger I see in this, especially if you are using sections from PTs, is that you're simply going to run out of material, and you won't get enough practice with timed, full PTs.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 pm

jimmierock wrote:
Haha your schedule makes me laugh because it reminded me of my workout schedules; Monday: Chest.. Tuesday: legs...... etc. etc. ahaha

I have a slight issue is that with your schedule I am afraid that I am just switching back and forth so much I will end up gaining nothing.

Well, in a weird way, studying for the LSAT is a lot like working out. You need to focus on different things at different times to acquire a well rounded balance for LSAT knowledge. That is to say, a perfect LR score isnt going to mean much if you can't do logic games very well. So yeah, it is like working out. Would you work out your biceps over and over? No, bc that would create a diminished return on those muscles. In the same way, you should be doing a mixture of each section.

Now, what I do think you should be doing is practicing said sections untimed and then move to timed. That's what I think would be best.

hereyago

Postby hereyago » Tue May 01, 2012 7:02 pm

For example,

Are you taking the oct one?

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Tue May 01, 2012 7:06 pm

hereyago wrote:

For example,

Signed up for June, but most likely will end up switching to October.

hereyago

Postby hereyago » Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 pm

jimmierock wrote:
hereyago wrote:

For example,

If you're aiming for June, I think it's best if you worked on all 3 sections each week, instead of trying to master 1 section before moving on to the next one.

If you're taking the oct one, then I don't see a problem with your strategy.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 pm

jimmierock wrote:

Yeah...especially if you are committed to sticking to this plane, you're going to want to switch to October. Otherwise, you just won't have enough time to do as well as you probably could.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”