how to answer this type of LR question? a misunderstood term

naillsat

how to answer this type of LR question? a misunderstood term

Postby naillsat » Tue May 01, 2012 12:27 am

From what I remember, I seem to make mistakes invariably on this type of LR questions that have two speakers (A & B) and speaker B makes a counter argument based on his/her misunderstanding of a term/word said by speaker A. Then the stem asks you to identify which term is being misunderstood.
A handy example to show you what I am talking about is Question 12 in Section 1 - PT 53.

I don't remember where in LR Bible this type of question is mentioned, if at all. Could you guys shed me some light? and your trick of getting the correct answer? thanks a lot!

naillsat

Re: how to answer this type of LR question? a misunderstood term

Postby naillsat » Wed May 02, 2012 2:09 am

bump, anyone? i m willing to pay for an anwser. :D

foggynotion

Postby foggynotion » Wed May 02, 2012 5:55 am

I think of questions like this as flaw questions, because the speaker in question has done something wrong (they're looking at something in the wrong way). The only difference with these is they're telling you the type of mistake the speaker is making. So I would just look for something the other speaker mentions, and then check to see if the speaker they're asking about treats it the same way. Usually one speaker means one thing, and the other speaker means another. Like, there's a question where someones talking about how Mrs. Chan (or whoever) has retired, but then he's shocked to find out she's working somewhere else, and the thing was that Mrs. Chan meant retired from a specific job, but the other person thought she meant retiring altogether. But "retired" was something that figured into Mrs. Chan's dialogue and also the main speaker's. (I don't think this was exactly the type of question you're talking about, but it revolved around the same type of misundertanding--I'm sorry, I don't have my books on me right now to check out the question your mentioned.) Hope this helps.

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Wed May 02, 2012 1:17 pm

thanks for the reply. It helps! :)

foggynotion

Postby foggynotion » Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 am

You're welcome!

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:19 pm

This is a really old thread to bump BUT I wanted to know if these questions are still on the LSAT (I haven't seen one until today) and, if so, does anyone have any more advice on solving them? I am drilling Flaws and I am on the level 1s and 2s right now but I am finding these difficult (though I am getting them right)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”