Stamina question

lawschool2014hopeful

Stamina question

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

Hey All,

I am beginning my grind for my LSAT, and during parts of going through questions and stuff I like to breaks everytime I feel like I cant get through a question and when my mind feels "stuffed". The break usually help me figure out the question later, however my question is that of course in an actual test setting there are no breaks. I was wondering, when I get "tired" or "stuck" in a question, should I just power through it in order to build my stamina? or has that cause burn outs for some people in the past?

hurldes

Re: Stamina question

Postby hurldes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 am

don't take breaks when you are doing a practice test. When you are just studying, breaks are probably okay. On the LSAT you will have the test day adrenaline to help you get through it. But it's a long test, and taking lots of practice tests under timed conditions (taking only a ten minute break after the second section) will help you build mental endurance.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:46 am

hurldes wrote:don't take breaks when you are doing a practice test. When you are just studying, breaks are probably okay. On the LSAT you will have the test day adrenaline to help you get through it. But it's a long test, and taking lots of practice tests under timed conditions (taking only a ten minute break after the second section) will help you build mental endurance.

+1

Burnout is a possibility, which is why I think it's a good reason to balance timed practice tests with "normal" studying and practice. When I was doing 5 or so PTs per week, eventually my scores started to drop precipitously, and I think it was just mental overload. Once I cut back to a couple a week (which was a better pace anyway, in order to preserve PTs for the weeks leading up to the test), my scores bounced right back up to normal. But you definitely have to do timed PTs, too, or else you're going to be pretty sorry come test day when you want to take your "break" and you can't.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Perfect, thanks guys. Most definitely I will do real "timed" tests, but I guess I can be guilt free doing breaks during study sessions.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:10 pm

jimmierock wrote:Perfect, thanks guys. Most definitely I will do real "timed" tests, but I guess I can be guilt free doing breaks during study sessions.

Definitely true, but at a certain point, you want to eliminate the breaks.

For now, just make sure you're learning. That involves taking breaks when you need them so your brain can assimilate everything.

However, once you get to the point where your untimed score/accuracy is where you want it to be, you need to start building up speed and endurance. At that point, stop just doing questions, and start setting aside enough questions that it simulates sections. Do them without taking a break. You already know you can get the score you want given enough time; now, it's time to focus on speed and endurance until you can do it under testing conditions.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 pm

These questions are just so bizarre to me. The LSAT wasn't even HALF as long as the longest standardized test I've taken. It's 3 1/2 hours in a chair, with breaks, not orbiting the moon in Apollo 11 or running a marathon.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”