How should I improve? especially RC

naillsat

How should I improve? especially RC

Postby naillsat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:05 pm

I just did PT 52 yesterday with 5 sections strictly timed. The results are as below:

LR1: -5
LG: -1
LR2: -5
LR3: -1 (from PT 39 section 2)
RC: -9

Raw: 80, scaled 163

I think I am doing a lot better under timed, and did not have the rushed feeling anymore. The LR2, I finished in 25 minutes with 10 minutes spare to check my answers, but still missed 5 :(. After review, I realized I could lower the LR1 and LR2 down to -1 or -2 if I was more careful.

The RC is killing me. I used to be able to finish on time and missed around -6. For some reason I don't know, I seem to perform worse in RC and ran out of time and had to rush or guess.

What do you guys think my focus would be? apparently RC and improve the accuracy in LR, but what would be the best strategy for improving RC? I know this part is the slowest to improve on.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: How should I improve? especially RC

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:52 pm

What are you doing now?

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:What are you doing now?

I'm drilling on LR and RC, and do some games before going to work in the mornings.

For LR drilling, I have been focusing on Weaken/strengthen and Flaw question types. I think this helps me a bit improving the accuracy and speed.

I am not sure I am doing the right things on RC drilling, however. For RC, I do it untimed and give myself enough time to read, digest, and analyze the structure. I am also trying to find a pattern, if any. By pattern, I mean the most efficient way of annotation and marking. I have been drilling RC for about 2 weeks now, but don't see any improvement if I do it timed. Maybe I should do some timed drilling as well. thanks!

skip james

Postby skip james » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Have you tried doing timed drills on individual passages? I found that it helped me to understand the correct pace for me to move during reading comp. I think I started by doing drills allotting myself 10 minutes a passage and then worked my way to 8:30-ish (so I'd having bubbling time).

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

naillsat wrote: I am not sure I am doing the right things on RC drilling, however. For RC, I do it untimed and give myself enough time to read, digest, and analyze the structure. I am also trying to find a pattern, if any. By pattern, I mean the most efficient way of annotation and marking. I have been drilling RC for about 2 weeks now, but don't see any improvement if I do it timed. Maybe I should do some timed drilling as well. thanks!

Sounds like you need to put the timer on during your drills.

I think you're smart to focus on how to get a better read (vs. focusing solely on the questions). Our approach is to have students look for the "scale" of the passage - the two sides of an issue that the passage hinges on. Annotation, if any, should be in service of noting the scale. There's a free intro chapter here.

I think you might be stressing the marking over what the marking is supposed to do. It's supposed to encourage you to grasp the structure of the passage and hold what you're reading. For easy passages, I don't mark anything. For harder ones, I write a lot. However, my scribbling is illegible, and I never look back at it.

For the questions, start noting what lines of text support the right answer, and start categorizing the wrong ones.

I hope that helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”