Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Goal is to get at least a 155 and anything higher is icing on the cake.

Not taking full PTs yet. Practicing LR questions and working on sections.

Is this goal possible and how should I plan on attacking this in the next 50 days.

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 pm

By the way, I currently have at my disposal:

10 Actual
10 More Actual
The Next 10 Actual
Powerscore Bibles.

Let me know.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:38 pm

We can't answer this unless you have taken a full diagnostic PT.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Set a higher goal.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Set a higher goal.

lmao +1

Research the legal economy. I'm not one of the hardcore t14 no exception elitists, but you should certainly know what you're getting into if you don't already. The only time it might be worth it to only need a 150 is very close family offering you a good job as soon as you have your J.D.

Take a PT, you might already be at 150.

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 am

I have taken a few PTs, scoring me below 150. I barely even have a chance to answer all questions.

I'm aiming at the level (155+), just for the fact that I'm a URM with decent softs, and a decent UGPA. With limited time, I just want be in a school in the Top 50 - 85.

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby princeR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:00 am

So being a URM gives you reason to rush your prep and do worse than you ultimately could if you were willing to put in the time and effort? Good, glad to know how that works for ya. Am I racist?

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 am

princeR wrote:So being a URM gives you reason to rush your prep and do worse than you ultimately could if you were willing to put in the time and effort? Good, glad to know how that works for ya. Am I racist?


I'm not saying because I'm a URM, I'm entitled to anything. I know URMs typically score low on this test and I'm saying I have from now until June to get a 155+ and I'll be pretty happy with that considering how difficult this test is for me.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby charliep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21 am

don't use up too many tests practicing individual sections. i would just start doing full tests under normal conditions, and, of course, you should thoroughly go over the questions you missed. if you're having trouble with logic games, there's a dude on youtube who has either done all or most of them.

which sections give you the most trouble

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 am

Other folks are bringing up valid points, but if this is the path you are intent on treading, their advice is probably falling on deaf ears, so it's not that helpful. I'll see what I can do to give you a hand, but you've got to work with me.

1. You say you've done some practice tests. Were they timed?
2. How far below 150 did you score on them?
3. Have you opened any of the Power Score Bibles yet?
4. How much prep have you done so far, and what has it consisted of?

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:34 am

charliep wrote:don't use up too many tests practicing individual sections. i would just start doing full tests under normal conditions, and, of course, you should thoroughly go over the questions you missed. if you're having trouble with logic games, there's a dude on youtube who has either done all or most of them.

which sections give you the most trouble


Thanks for the feedback.

I have read the PS logic games bible a while back and feel somewhat that I can do grouping and linear games. I would say LR would give me the most problems, answering all the questions within the 35 minutes. I also tend to be rushing questions I should be getting but I have a good understanding of all the question types (Strengthen, Weaken, Assumption, and Flaws).

When you say normal condition, you are referring to timed or un-timed? Also, I understand about not using tests for individual sections but my idea was use just the first book (10 Actual) as just practicing the individual and using the other two books as my full practice tests. I also have an extra copy of each book, if that helps anything.

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 am

elterrible78 wrote:Other folks are bringing up valid points, but if this is the path you are intent on treading, their advice is probably falling on deaf ears, so it's not that helpful. I'll see what I can do to give you a hand, but you've got to work with me.

1. You say you've done some practice tests. Were they timed?
2. How far below 150 did you score on them?
3. Have you opened any of the Power Score Bibles yet?
4. How much prep have you done so far, and what has it consisted of?


Thanks. Just where I am now and considering I have a limited time, I'm not trying to fool myself in thinking I could do better. If I can great, if not, then I just want to move this out of the way.

1. You say you've done some practice tests. Were they timed? Yes.
2. How far below 150 did you score on them? About 140.
3. Have you opened any of the Power Score Bibles yet? Yes. Both. Have done practice.
4. How much prep have you done so far, and what has it consisted of? Going over the the major question types as well as some practice in LG Bible.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:45 am

druski wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Thanks. Just where I am now and considering I have a limited time, I'm not trying to fool myself in thinking I could do better. If I can great, if not, then I just want to move this out of the way.
1. You say you've done some practice tests. Were they timed? Yes.
2. How far below 150 did you score on them? About 140.
3. Have you opened any of the Power Score Bibles yet? Yes. Both. Have done practice.
4. How much prep have you done so far, and what has it consisted of? Going over the the major question types as well as some practice in LG Bible.


Okay...140 - 155 is doable, for sure. Running out of time is a very common problem, and is mostly going to get better through practice, and that's practice under timed conditions. Sounds like you're already doing that, which is good. I am more or less doing the same thing you are...using some official prep tests for "parts" on days that I don't do a full-length prep test.

What kind of % are you getting on the three types of sections? Are you pretty strong in one area and weak in two, weak in all three? When you get questions wrong, especially on prep tests, are you going back over those questions to figure out why you got them wrong? How are you with making inferences during logic games? Do any particular types of LR questions give you more trouble than others? How long do you spend on this each day?

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 am

elterrible78 wrote:
druski wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Thanks. Just where I am now and considering I have a limited time, I'm not trying to fool myself in thinking I could do better. If I can great, if not, then I just want to move this out of the way.
1. You say you've done some practice tests. Were they timed? Yes.
2. How far below 150 did you score on them? About 140.
3. Have you opened any of the Power Score Bibles yet? Yes. Both. Have done practice.
4. How much prep have you done so far, and what has it consisted of? Going over the the major question types as well as some practice in LG Bible.


Okay...140 - 155 is doable, for sure. Running out of time is a very common problem, and is mostly going to get better through practice, and that's practice under timed conditions. Sounds like you're already doing that, which is good. I am more or less doing the same thing you are...using some official prep tests for "parts" on days that I don't do a full-length prep test.

What kind of % are you getting on the three types of sections? Are you pretty strong in one area and weak in two, weak in all three? When you get questions wrong, especially on prep tests, are you going back over those questions to figure out why you got them wrong? How are you with making inferences during logic games? Do any particular types of LR questions give you more trouble than others? How long do you spend on this each day?




I've been holding off LGs for now.

In LR, I would say Assumptions, would be my downfall, its really hit or miss. If you gave me 10, I would probably get 5.

I go to bed with a passage of RC and I think I do fairly well depending on the content. If I did a whole section timed, I doubt I'll get to every single question.

I try to spend at least 3 hours a day. I could use help in every aspect of the test, just don't know where to start. And how many hours should I put in?

I also definitely check my answers.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:44 am

I've been holding off LGs for now.


Are you holding off on them because you already feel really confident with it? If that's not the reason you are holding off, now is the time to stop holding off. Many people find this to be the most alien/tricky part of the LSAT when they are just starting preparation (and I was one of them). The good news is, conventional wisdom holds that LGs is the most learnable. That's only true if you start learning, though, and my personal experience has been that it's a matter of putting in the time and practice. Also, think about it this way: on a LR question, if you get stumped, maybe you get that answer wrong but you are starting fresh on the next question. If you end up staring blankly at a LG prompt that may as well be written in Farsi, you're potentially screwed on 5-7 questions on that game, and more on any that follow if you spend too much time on that one. The way to minimize the likelihood of this happening is to expose yourself to as many types of LG as possible, and trust me, there is a ton of variation on linear and grouping games. So start getting after it, now. Seriously. And even after you have done a LG section, go back to it a couple days later and do it again. And again. That's how you'll get good at making inferences, which will help your speed enormously. The PowerScore Logic Games Bible is awesome. Put it to use!

In LR, I would say Assumptions, would be my downfall, its really hit or miss. If you gave me 10, I would probably get 5.


This is interesting, because assumptions questions are some of the easiest for me. On the ones that you are getting wrong, are you able to understand how you ended up getting it wrong, and why the correct answer is, in fact, the correct answer? What are you running into trouble with on the assumptions questions? Have you read the chapter in the LR Bible that covers assumptions questions? Are you pretty much okay on the other types?

I go to bed with a passage of RC and I think I do fairly well depending on the content. If I did a whole section timed, I doubt I'll get to every single question.


Reading Comp is by far the easiest section for me, so I am not the best guy to give advice on it...it just kind of comes naturally to me, but I understand that's not the case for others. I did read a piece of advice somewhere, though, that was helpful: try to find some way to become interested in every passage, regardless of content. That issue is a very real one, for me too. Throw an article regarding biology at me and my eyes roll back, so some of the RC passages are tougher than others for me. If I can somehow become interested, though, it's easier. Something else that works for me is marking up the passage. Not going overboard, and not doing it in any systematic way, but just underlining things that seem important, annotating certain lines with stars or exclamation points in the margin, or just making quick notes. More than anything, this helps me stay focused and read actively, which pays dividends when I start answering the questions, even if I never "use" my annotations while doing so. Do full RC sections, though, timed...just doing a passage before bed isn't going to cut it.

I try to spend at least 3 hours a day. I could use help in every aspect of the test, just don't know where to start. And how many hours should I put in?


This is a tricky question, especially given your current level and the fact that there are, what, six weeks left until the test? You definitely don't want to overdo it. I was doing prep tests 5 days a week, hitting the mid to upper 170s each time, and then BAM, three in a row in the upper 160s. It was really frustrating and more than a little scary for me. Turns out I was just really overdoing it. I cut back to two a week, and I was right back where I was before. I mean, I may have run into a string of prep tests that were just, for whatever reason, tougher for me, but I tend to think I was just overloading my brain, which in turn made me sloppy. What I'm driving at is you've got to work as much as possible without overdoing it.

I also definitely check my answers.


Great...this is very important. Are the correct answers making sense to you, and are you seeing where you went wrong?

The trick here, I think, is to study smarter, and not harder. My overarching piece of advice to you would be to develop some sort of structured study plan for the next six weeks, and build that plan around taking 2-3 scheduled, timed prep tests weekly. I do mine on Wednesday and Saturday, and on the other days I either drill LG sections I have already done, or do a new LG section or new LR sections (from a "parts" prep test that I won't be using for a full simulation). I really get a sense that you're lost at sea with this, and if you can develop some sort of schedule, it will help you focus in. That schedule, as I mentioned, should be built around prep test days, and should focus on your weaknesses, strengthening them bit by bit.

Get after those LGs, though, friend...you don't want to wait until two weeks out to start on them, trust me.

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:53 am

Just crack open the bibles and learn the fundamentals of the test. If you try to improve your timing before you even know how to approach the questions you're just going to get answers wrong faster. I suggest reading the bibles thoroughly and then moving on to timed PTing. You can start to see the patterns of where your weaknesses are and drill those question types accordingly.

I'd also suggest giving yourself some more time to prep and aim for October.

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:08 am

elterrible78 wrote:
I've been holding off LGs for now.


Are you holding off on them because you already feel really confident with it? If that's not the reason you are holding off, now is the time to stop holding off. Many people find this to be the most alien/tricky part of the LSAT when they are just starting preparation (and I was one of them). The good news is, conventional wisdom holds that LGs is the most learnable. That's only true if you start learning, though, and my personal experience has been that it's a matter of putting in the time and practice. Also, think about it this way: on a LR question, if you get stumped, maybe you get that answer wrong but you are starting fresh on the next question. If you end up staring blankly at a LG prompt that may as well be written in Farsi, you're potentially screwed on 5-7 questions on that game, and more on any that follow if you spend too much time on that one. The way to minimize the likelihood of this happening is to expose yourself to as many types of LG as possible, and trust me, there is a ton of variation on linear and grouping games. So start getting after it, now. Seriously. And even after you have done a LG section, go back to it a couple days later and do it again. And again. That's how you'll get good at making inferences, which will help your speed enormously. The PowerScore Logic Games Bible is awesome. Put it to use!

In LR, I would say Assumptions, would be my downfall, its really hit or miss. If you gave me 10, I would probably get 5.


This is interesting, because assumptions questions are some of the easiest for me. On the ones that you are getting wrong, are you able to understand how you ended up getting it wrong, and why the correct answer is, in fact, the correct answer? What are you running into trouble with on the assumptions questions? Have you read the chapter in the LR Bible that covers assumptions questions? Are you pretty much okay on the other types?

I go to bed with a passage of RC and I think I do fairly well depending on the content. If I did a whole section timed, I doubt I'll get to every single question.


Reading Comp is by far the easiest section for me, so I am not the best guy to give advice on it...it just kind of comes naturally to me, but I understand that's not the case for others. I did read a piece of advice somewhere, though, that was helpful: try to find some way to become interested in every passage, regardless of content. That issue is a very real one, for me too. Throw an article regarding biology at me and my eyes roll back, so some of the RC passages are tougher than others for me. If I can somehow become interested, though, it's easier. Something else that works for me is marking up the passage. Not going overboard, and not doing it in any systematic way, but just underlining things that seem important, annotating certain lines with stars or exclamation points in the margin, or just making quick notes. More than anything, this helps me stay focused and read actively, which pays dividends when I start answering the questions, even if I never "use" my annotations while doing so. Do full RC sections, though, timed...just doing a passage before bed isn't going to cut it.

I try to spend at least 3 hours a day. I could use help in every aspect of the test, just don't know where to start. And how many hours should I put in?


This is a tricky question, especially given your current level and the fact that there are, what, six weeks left until the test? You definitely don't want to overdo it. I was doing prep tests 5 days a week, hitting the mid to upper 170s each time, and then BAM, three in a row in the upper 160s. It was really frustrating and more than a little scary for me. Turns out I was just really overdoing it. I cut back to two a week, and I was right back where I was before. I mean, I may have run into a string of prep tests that were just, for whatever reason, tougher for me, but I tend to think I was just overloading my brain, which in turn made me sloppy. What I'm driving at is you've got to work as much as possible without overdoing it.

I also definitely check my answers.


Great...this is very important. Are the correct answers making sense to you, and are you seeing where you went wrong?

The trick here, I think, is to study smarter, and not harder. My overarching piece of advice to you would be to develop some sort of structured study plan for the next six weeks, and build that plan around taking 2-3 scheduled, timed prep tests weekly. I do mine on Wednesday and Saturday, and on the other days I either drill LG sections I have already done, or do a new LG section or new LR sections (from a "parts" prep test that I won't be using for a full simulation). I really get a sense that you're lost at sea with this, and if you can develop some sort of schedule, it will help you focus in. That schedule, as I mentioned, should be built around prep test days, and should focus on your weaknesses, strengthening them bit by bit.

Get after those LGs, though, friend...you don't want to wait until two weeks out to start on them, trust me.


Thank you for the words of wisdom. Really appreciate it. I do agree I need to start some sort of a schedule which I will do.

LR I feel confident with the question types, its just timing.

LG will jump on that pronto like you said and will definitely do sections of RC from now on.

Thanks a lot!

druski
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby druski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 am

Ded Precedent wrote:Just crack open the bibles and learn the fundamentals of the test. If you try to improve your timing before you even know how to approach the questions you're just going to get answers wrong faster. I suggest reading the bibles thoroughly and then moving on to timed PTing. You can start to see the patterns of where your weaknesses are and drill those question types accordingly.

I'd also suggest giving yourself some more time to prep and aim for October.


Thanks for the post. If I'm not scoring in the area I want, I would have no choice but to postpone and aim for October. However, I have prepped and practiced over all the major question types for LR. I also have read the LG Bible so I'm hoping i can prep myself and start the timed PTs.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 am

druski wrote:Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?


Have a pulse when you sit for the LSAT.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?

Postby DaftAndDirect » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
druski wrote:Advice on Getting a 150+ by June?


Have a pulse when you sit for the LSAT.


Come on man...




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CMac86, dj9i27, Instrumental, JoshLyman13, laqueredup, qemini1594, yellowyak46 and 12 guests