Can a false dichotomy/dilemma be inferred from a premise

timmydoeslsat

Can a false dichotomy/dilemma be inferred from a premise

Postby timmydoeslsat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 pm

For instance:

We cannot do X. Since our only other choice is to do Y, we should consider how best to accomplish Y.

We have 2 premises.

1. We cannot do X.
2. Only other choice is to do Y

Would we be able to attack this as a false choice? Or, am I to accept as fact that the only other choice is to do Y. It seems that I would simply accept that idea as fact.

But, I ask, can a false dilemma be inferred from a premise, such as our second one? Or do we concede the idea without evidence. We are to accept premises as fact without evidence to its backing. So it would seem to be that we cannot infer a false choice from that statement above.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angrybird

Re: Can a false dichotomy/dilemma be inferred from a premise

Postby angrybird » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm

this thread is a false dilemma

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm

VasaVasori wrote:"X and Y are two ways to accomplish A, and we can't do X, so we'll have to do Y. - This argument is most vulnerable to criticism because... it fails to consider that there is another way to accomplish A."

Yeah, the difference between what you said and what the OP said (as you noted) is the 'only' in the OP's question. If the LSAT said that, then you'd be forced to accept that Y is the only other option, and therefore that's the option you must go with (assuming that you have to take some action).

However, every time I can think of on the LSAT, it presented it as two options without noting that they were the only options available. It's actually a pretty big tip-off that it's an exclusivity fallacy question.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

I was under the impression that all explicit premises are true. So the situation you pose would be valid.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”