splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Last edited by splittermcsplit88 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princeR

Re: Need LSAT Advice

Postby princeR » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 pm

You will not just magically increase your speed. You get faster because you get better. That is, you need to work on just getting the questions right and knowing how to approach them. This is how you get faster. By learning how to answer questions and work through them without trying to just play pin the tail on the donkey. Learn the test and how to answer questions and you WILL get faster. Accuracy first. Speed second.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:05 am

For reading comp it could be that you're trying to process the entire content of the passage, when you really only need to be concerned with absorbing the important portions. Tone, arguments, viewpoints, summary, etc.

For games and reasoning if you can get them right by working slowly through them, then you have the basic reasoning down. You just need to incrementally get faster at them.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 am

First, congrats on your great strides. 20+/- points is a really strong accomplishment. That means you can do much better.

Take some time and really study the test when you aren't doing anything else. I suspect that your brain was overloaded.

If you can take another four months and really concentrate on the exam, you should be aboe to get into the high 160's or even the lower 170's. I don't believe anyone has a "ceiling", but you will only get out of the test what they put into it. You must address their weaknesses by tailoring their study program directly towards those weaknesses.

If you are a slow reader, concentrate on improving your ability to read dense material but with great comprehension. Read the Wall Street Journal or Scientific American regularly, and stop reasong SI and the local newspaper. Read Shakespear's plays and other dense material. It's going to take some time, but you will see improvement in your speed and comprehension if you practice regularly.

Practice LG every day when you get free time. If you are waiting for a doctor's appointment, pull out your logic games and practice them. Practice the LSAT at the mall or other noise-filled locations.

Practice LR questions by type...and do them over and over and over again until there's no trick they can throw at you.

You can do this...good luck!

lynch

Postby lynch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:22 am

PDaddy wrote:First, congrats on your great strides. 20+/- points is a really strong accomplishment. That means you can do much better.

Take some time and really study the test when you aren't doing anything else. I suspect that your brain was overloaded.

If you can take another four months and really concentrate on the exam, you should be aboe to get into the high 160's or even the lower 170's. I don't believe anyone has a "ceiling", but you will only get out of the test what they put into it. You must address their weaknesses by tailoring their study program directly towards those weaknesses.

If you are a slow reader, concentrate on improving your ability to read dense material but with great comprehension. Read the Wall Street Journal or Scientific American regularly, and stop reasong SI and the local newspaper. Read Shakespear's plays and other dense material. It's going to take some time, but you will see improvement in your speed and comprehension if you practice regularly.

Practice LG every day when you get free time. If you are waiting for a doctor's appointment, pull out your logic games and practice them. Practice the LSAT at the mall or other noise-filled locations.

Practice LR questions by type...and do them over and over and over again until there's no trick they can throw at you.

You can do this...good luck!

Great advice!

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks a lot! Yea I think I really need to break the exam down and master every question type.

Thank you for your encouragement :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”