Might be worth trying on a practice exam
33%
Sign me up
17%

Total votes: 18

haus

Beer and the LSAT?

Postby haus » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 am

For most it would seem that the downside would be too great, but perhaps those that really struggle with the games, it might not be insane.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... -1.1059752

Re: Beer and the LSAT?

Postby 2014 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:20 pm

It would require you to keep the buzz up (if there is indeed a correlation) which would be impossible. You would probably lose it somewhere during the 2nd section and start to get pissed off.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Sadly, the article is incorrect.

The researchers in the study didn't give the subjects pints of beer. They gave the subjects vodka cranberry drinks (yes, I wish it'd been beer, too). If the study's results are leading you to consider adding alcohol to your LSAT study regimen, it's important to replicate the study's conditions as closely as possible:

Upon arrival, weight, an initial breathalyzer reading, and consent were obtained, and participants ate a weight-adjusted snack of bagels (Sayette et al., 1994). After the meal, participants completed the first OSpan task, then received a vodka cranberry drink. The dose of alcohol (100-proof Smirnoff vodka) was calibrated by weight (.88 g/kg body weight), and was mixed in front of the participant at a 1:3 vodka to cranberry juice ratio. The drink was administered in three equal doses over 10 min periods. Participants watched an animated feature film (Ratatouille) while they consumed the alcoholic beverages.

Following drink administration, participants rinsed out their mouths, and completed a breathalyzer reading (M = .069, SD = .14, range = .044–.094). During the ascending arm of intoxication, participants completed several background tasks. After they reached peak intoxication (about an hour into the study), participants completed the second Ospan task.

(source: --LinkRemoved-- - page 3)

Edit to add:

“I obviously would not suggest you drink a vodka cranberry before taking the SAT,” Jarosz continued. “That is a time when having attentional control is useful. But there may be cases where having decreased attentional control is useful.”

(source: end of article at --LinkRemoved--)

Careful readers will note that he said SAT, not LSAT. (Just kidding, folks. I don't recommend drinking before the LSAT.)

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 am

LSAT Blog wrote:Sadly, the article is incorrect.

The researchers in the study didn't give the subjects pints of beer. They gave the subjects vodka cranberry drinks (yes, I wish it'd been beer, too). If the study's results are leading you to consider adding alcohol to your LSAT study regimen, it's important to replicate the study's conditions as closely as possible:

Upon arrival, weight, an initial breathalyzer reading, and consent were obtained, and participants ate a weight-adjusted snack of bagels (Sayette et al., 1994). After the meal, participants completed the first OSpan task, then received a vodka cranberry drink. The dose of alcohol (100-proof Smirnoff vodka) was calibrated by weight (.88 g/kg body weight), and was mixed in front of the participant at a 1:3 vodka to cranberry juice ratio. The drink was administered in three equal doses over 10 min periods. Participants watched an animated feature film (Ratatouille) while they consumed the alcoholic beverages.

Following drink administration, participants rinsed out their mouths, and completed a breathalyzer reading (M = .069, SD = .14, range = .044–.094). During the ascending arm of intoxication, participants completed several background tasks. After they reached peak intoxication (about an hour into the study), participants completed the second Ospan task.

(source: --LinkRemoved-- - page 3)

Edit to add:

“I obviously would not suggest you drink a vodka cranberry before taking the SAT,” Jarosz continued. “That is a time when having attentional control is useful. But there may be cases where having decreased attentional control is useful.”

(source: end of article at --LinkRemoved--)

Careful readers will note that he said SAT, not LSAT. (Just kidding, folks. I don't recommend drinking before the LSAT.)

Clearly, watching Ratatouille increases ability

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 am

Blasphemy. Drinking always solves problems. Even logic problems.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”