Need advice on reading comprehension section

timeandspace11

Need advice on reading comprehension section

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:51 pm

It definitely seems the most recent ones are the hardest.

On the early ones I would only get 2 or 3 wrong. Now I am getting around 7 wrong. Its annoying because I have improved on LG and LR.

What methods have been known to be effective?
Does Powerscore, Kaplan, or Manhattan have any materials you highly recommend?

Br3v

Re: Need advice on reading comprehension section

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:It definitely seems the most recent ones are the hardest.

On the early ones I would only get 2 or 3 wrong. Now I am getting around 7 wrong. Its annoying because I have improved on LG and LR.

What methods have been known to be effective?
Does Powerscore, Kaplan, or Manhattan have any materials you highly recommend?

Powerscore fan.

But honestly I think rc is one of those things were a type of plan really won't help much compared to say LG. RC is about specifically looking for opinions and detail
In the article then applying that to questions. Really concentrate

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I don't think that the more recent RC sections are, on the whole, considerably more difficult than past sections.

bne

Postby bne » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:02 am

I'd recommend Powerscore - it has been working very well for me. Are you trying anything new that might be causing you to miss more? I don't feel like there is a significant difference in the degree of difficulty between older and newer tests. While RC was luckily my best section to begin with, one strategy that has really helped me is becoming more engaged in the reading by forming an opinion on what the author is saying (do I agree or disagree with the argument). When I do this, I'm able to pick up on the very small details that I used to overlook (reasons why I agree or disagree). For some reason, this has worked for me. Hope this makes sense.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 am

Powerscore reading comp. is shit. I bought it and it did nothing. They want you to spend your whole time annotating.

I rocked reading comp. Buy the Manhattan LSAT reading comp workbook, it's great. It's the only thing I found that broke down reading comp like logic games. They give you a strategy you can apply consistently.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:38 am

I used the Powerscore RC Bible and liked it. With that said, you certainly need to develop your own strategy. If you don't like marking up as much as Powerscore would have you do, then don't do it. As others have mentioned, RC is probably the most difficult to improve. My score increased mostly by doing all the PTs. That practice is essential. I don't know how many PTs you plan to do, but if you're worried about your RC score, do all the RCs even if you aren't going to do all the PTs.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 pm

bne wrote:I'd recommend Powerscore - it has been working very well for me. Are you trying anything new that might be causing you to miss more? I don't feel like there is a significant difference in the degree of difficulty between older and newer tests. While RC was luckily my best section to begin with, one strategy that has really helped me is becoming more engaged in the reading by forming an opinion on what the author is saying (do I agree or disagree with the argument). When I do this, I'm able to pick up on the very small details that I used to overlook (reasons why I agree or disagree). For some reason, this has worked for me. Hope this makes sense.

Im not sure if I have been trying anything different lately. Its been really frustrating especially when I have improved dramatically on the LG and substantially on the LR. RC started out as my best section now it is my worst (GRanted I havent put as much time studying it, but the drop off surprises me). I have used Powerscore for LR and LG and thought it was great but I heard the RC is not as good. I might check on Manhattan

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:23 pm

I just got a -2 on the RC section from preptest 36, which I believe is from December 0f 2001. Its tough for me to say whether I did better because it was easier, because I didnt have to take 3 sections before I go to it, because I tried to focus on the structure of the passage, or the combination of all these things. If I was able to consistently get -2 my scores right now would be at roughly a 168-169.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 pm

I felt like Manhattan's RC Guide was far superior to Powerscore.

To be fair, though, I believe a lot of it has to do with personal preference.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Now I just took June 2007's and got a -8. I know some people are saying its not harder, but I am consistently getting lower scores in the later ones. Part of the problem seems to be that I am scoring lower on the comparative reading section, and I am guessing this is because I dont have much experience with them. I guess its all about repetition

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”