.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

.

Postby Crowing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm

.
Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Writing Sample

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 pm

I just looked at a couple sample questions but didn't do one. Seems like it couldn't hurt to do one, since depending on where you are applying, some place claim to use them. They probably don't, but still, can't hurt.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby bp shinners » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:06 pm

In our course, we dedicate all of half an hour to it.

Don't drool on the page; don't draw a picture of a sad clown; don't turn those pages into a flipbook of someone falling down stairs. Put together something coherent, and you'll be fine.

User avatar
puppylaw
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby puppylaw » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

I read a few of them just to see what they were all about, and I made outlines for 1 or 2 the week before I took the LSAT. You should spend an hour or two getting familiar with it, but it's pretty simple and straightforward. Just come up with a way to organize your essay then write a coherent argument.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby Easy-E » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Just write something. No one is expecting the next great American novel, but they want something slightly better than a picture of a cat.

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Writing Sample

Postby Zelda » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

Princeton Review has a good write up on how to approach the essay. I just read that and looked at a few samples.

I think it helps to go in with a plan on how to approach it at least organizationally.

The only school that I heard actually really looks at them is Northwestern. And who knows if that is even true.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Writing Sample

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:03 am

bp shinners wrote:In our course, we dedicate all of half an hour to it.

Don't drool on the page; don't draw a picture of a sad clown; don't turn those pages into a flipbook of someone falling down stairs. Put together something coherent, and you'll be fine.

+1
That said, I've seen PS drafts on here by people who don't even meet this low standard, but who think they're pretty good writers. So make sure your "coherent" actually IS.

beautyistruth
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Writing Sample

Postby beautyistruth » Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 am

bp shinners wrote:In our course, we dedicate all of half an hour to it.

Don't drool on the page; don't draw a picture of a sad clown; don't turn those pages into a flipbook of someone falling down stairs. Put together something coherent, and you'll be fine.


Congrats. That made me laugh out loud in a quiet study area.

BalanceCare
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby BalanceCare » Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am

This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

It's kind of refreshing to be able to make an argument on one's own terms in the writing section, after hours of picking apart stupid, poorly written arguments that are constructed so as to be intentionally confusing.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5700
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 am

BalanceCare wrote:This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

It's kind of refreshing to be able to make an argument on one's own terms in the writing section, after hours of picking apart stupid, poorly written arguments that are constructed so as to be intentionally confusing.


I enjoy writing as well, but after the test, all you're gonna want is your favorite beer.

BalanceCare
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby BalanceCare » Fri May 04, 2012 2:15 pm

emarxnj wrote:
BalanceCare wrote:This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

It's kind of refreshing to be able to make an argument on one's own terms in the writing section, after hours of picking apart stupid, poorly written arguments that are constructed so as to be intentionally confusing.


I enjoy writing as well, but after the test, all you're gonna want is your favorite beer.


Sadly I've taken the test more than once before, so this comes from experience -- but you're right, beer is definitely a big part of the equation.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Writing Sample

Postby bp shinners » Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

BalanceCare wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
BalanceCare wrote:This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

It's kind of refreshing to be able to make an argument on one's own terms in the writing section, after hours of picking apart stupid, poorly written arguments that are constructed so as to be intentionally confusing.


I enjoy writing as well, but after the test, all you're gonna want is your favorite beer.


Sadly I've taken the test more than once before, so this comes from experience -- but you're right, beer is definitely a big part of the equation.


Good point. Spend more time planning the route to the nearest bar than practicing the writing sample. It'll be better for your sanity.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, Back2California, Baidu [Spider], bcapace, CHyde, HokieHi307, Instrumental, mrgstephe, Pozzo and 14 guests