Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Re: Writing Sample

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 pm

I just looked at a couple sample questions but didn't do one. Seems like it couldn't hurt to do one, since depending on where you are applying, some place claim to use them. They probably don't, but still, can't hurt.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:06 pm

In our course, we dedicate all of half an hour to it.

Don't drool on the page; don't draw a picture of a sad clown; don't turn those pages into a flipbook of someone falling down stairs. Put together something coherent, and you'll be fine.

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

I read a few of them just to see what they were all about, and I made outlines for 1 or 2 the week before I took the LSAT. You should spend an hour or two getting familiar with it, but it's pretty simple and straightforward. Just come up with a way to organize your essay then write a coherent argument.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Just write something. No one is expecting the next great American novel, but they want something slightly better than a picture of a cat.

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

Princeton Review has a good write up on how to approach the essay. I just read that and looked at a few samples.

I think it helps to go in with a plan on how to approach it at least organizationally.

The only school that I heard actually really looks at them is Northwestern. And who knows if that is even true.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:03 am

bp shinners wrote:In our course, we dedicate all of half an hour to it.

Don't drool on the page; don't draw a picture of a sad clown; don't turn those pages into a flipbook of someone falling down stairs. Put together something coherent, and you'll be fine.

+1
That said, I've seen PS drafts on here by people who don't even meet this low standard, but who think they're pretty good writers. So make sure your "coherent" actually IS.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 am

bp shinners wrote:In our course, we dedicate all of half an hour to it.

Congrats. That made me laugh out loud in a quiet study area.

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am

This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

It's kind of refreshing to be able to make an argument on one's own terms in the writing section, after hours of picking apart stupid, poorly written arguments that are constructed so as to be intentionally confusing.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 am

BalanceCare wrote:This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

It's kind of refreshing to be able to make an argument on one's own terms in the writing section, after hours of picking apart stupid, poorly written arguments that are constructed so as to be intentionally confusing.

I enjoy writing as well, but after the test, all you're gonna want is your favorite beer.

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Fri May 04, 2012 2:15 pm

emarxnj wrote:
BalanceCare wrote:This might just be my own madness as someone who enjoys writing, but I'd actually look forward to it as a respite after a long strenuous test ...

I enjoy writing as well, but after the test, all you're gonna want is your favorite beer.

Sadly I've taken the test more than once before, so this comes from experience -- but you're right, beer is definitely a big part of the equation.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

BalanceCare wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Sadly I've taken the test more than once before, so this comes from experience -- but you're right, beer is definitely a big part of the equation.

Good point. Spend more time planning the route to the nearest bar than practicing the writing sample. It'll be better for your sanity.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”