how many hours should I devote my time on studying the lsat? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
deblaw

New

how many hours should I devote my time on studying the lsat?

Post by deblaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I am taking three classes during this quarter and will be taking four classes during the summer (two classes per each session). I'll have about a month prior to taking the exam..
Would studying about two to three hours a day do?

collegebum1989

Bronze

Re: how many hours should I devote my time on studying the lsat?

Post by collegebum1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 am

Highly depends on many factors for someone to give you a definitive answer. Figure out a schedule that works best for you using the resources that you have (books, PTs, etc).

It all depends on where you are compared to where you want to score. Also keep in mind, that classes may drain your brain, so it's best to study at times which your performance is optimal. I felt like that was the biggest challenge in getting to LSAT mode when I had coursework to get done as well.

I, myself did about 21-30 hours gradually per week.

Good luck!

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 am

I'm curious, but how does one study 21-30 hours a week for the LSAT?
I have not yet partaken in the study grind for the LSAT; but I assume that 21-30 hours would be a tad bit on the extreme side.
Is 21-30 hours even reasonable?
I'm just wondering, cause I assumed that the reasonable amount of hour to study for the LSAT would be somewhere from 5 to 15 hours (in a span of 6 month or so). This is from the assumption of 1 or 2 PrepTest per week (7 hours) and the other 7 hours to go over the mistakes and what not.
Do you mind telling me what sort of studying you did for 21-30 hours for the LSAT?

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:46 am

I drilled questions by type for 3 hours a day everyday except on Sunday which I dedicated for review (~6 hours) but for the entire week. Sometimes I would do 4 hours, and juggle between 3-4 hours.

Each day I drilled, did a combination of two sections. So my schedule looked something like:
M: LR, LG
T: LR, RC
W: LG, RC
Th: LR, RC
F: LR only (because it was my weakest section)
Sat: PT
Sunday: Review entire week (to notice large scale trends in test taking behavior)

UCD undergrad

New

Post by UCD undergrad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 am

Hey! I approached the exam with the same frame of mind that I had when learning to play an instrument (and really, it's better to compare the LSAT to developing a skill than to studying for a test). Basically, even if you only have 20 minutes to spare, you'll still be 20 minutes better by the time you're done. As for a more concrete answer, I studied about 42 hours a week in the couple of months before the exam and was able to increase my score from the high 150's to the mid 170's. It's important to mix times practice with reviewing your answers very, very, very carefully as that is when a lot of the learning takes place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:17 am

I depends....

How bad do you want it?

If you really want it, then you need to work on it every free moment you have. Every point counts.

This is the most importaint test of your life thus far. Adjust accordingly.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:41 am

Agreed, find the point at which you completely burn out and become useless and study one second less than that. I keep practice tests in the bathroom, never a wrong time to answer some questions. Personally my hours are well less then the rest that posted, but I have 22 credits this semester, am already scoring where I need to, and am fast running out of material, even still I study 10 hours or so a week

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:55 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:I drilled questions by type for 3 hours a day everyday except on Sunday which I dedicated for review (~6 hours) but for the entire week. Sometimes I would do 4 hours, and juggle between 3-4 hours.

Each day I drilled, did a combination of two sections. So my schedule looked something like:
M: LR, LG
T: LR, RC
W: LG, RC
Th: LR, RC
F: LR only (because it was my weakest section)
Sat: PT
Sunday: Review entire week (to notice large scale trends in test taking behavior)
Just curious - I'm not interested in cutting corners or anything but I'm wondering: how long did you do this for? Months?

I'm studying 15 hrs/wk and I will be doing it for months - in fact, I'm worried I will run out of material at this rate.

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:08 pm

deblaw wrote:I am taking three classes during this quarter and will be taking four classes during the summer (two classes per each session). I'll have about a month prior to taking the exam..
Would studying about two to three hours a day do?

I had this exact same schedule school schedule when I took my LSAT ( 3 classes during quarter and 4 over summer).

I assume you aren't taking a prep class?

I studied (including the 8 hrs a week for my Testmasters course) about 16 hours a week at first and once the LSAT got closer, it became more like 20-22 because I was taking at least 2 old LSAT's a week on top of just individual section prep.

I think at least 16 hours a week is definitely doable. You could do something like mon, wed, fri 6-10 (or whatever 4 hour blocks work for you) and have 12 hours right there and then just use free time during the other days or the weekend to get more hours.

Do you have any idea what you are scoring at now? Where would you like to be scoring? How much you need to improve could also impact your study schedule. I wanted a minimum of 8 pt increase by the time I took the LSAT, so I studied like a maniac while still in school. (and it paid off, got a 10 pt increase on actual test).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Those on this thread are certainly correct when they say that this is an incredibly important test that will shape the rest of your life should you ultimately decide to go to law school.

That being said, don't feel like you need to devote 6 months of your life to the test either.

I spent about 6 weeks studying for the test last October, something along the lines of 10 hours the first 4 weeks, 15 hours the 5th week, and then I took 4 full practice tests (~16 hours) the week of the LSAT. I also took a school sponsored class that cost me $125 and was a huge help but was only 4 three-hour sessions.

I realize it may be beneficial for many people to put in more time and become more comfortable with certain sections, but at some point you reach a plateau and you just don't improve with more studying. The most important thing when it gets down to crunch time is to manage you time and stress level.

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:28 pm

I personally spent about three and a half months (right after undergrad) studying for this test. I was an extreme case, where I started out by scoring kinda low (50s) and worked up into the 70s. Probably spend around 8 hrs a day.. not sure if I could do that again, actually..

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Lyov Myshkin wrote:I personally spent about three and a half months (right after undergrad) studying for this test. I was an extreme case, where I started out by scoring kinda low (50s) and worked up into the 70s. Probably spend around 8 hrs a day.. not sure if I could do that again, actually..
Dude...

Lyov Myshkin

Bronze

Post by Lyov Myshkin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm

princeR wrote:
Lyov Myshkin wrote:I personally spent about three and a half months (right after undergrad) studying for this test. I was an extreme case, where I started out by scoring kinda low (50s) and worked up into the 70s. Probably spend around 8 hrs a day.. not sure if I could do that again, actually..
Dude...
yeah i was obsessed. i haven't posted here in years, but if i remember correctly, i think ken said i drove something like 10% of the traffic here because of my crazy posts or something. again, an extreme case..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”