Preptest 57 Section 3 #16

CREATION

Preptest 57 Section 3 #16

Postby CREATION » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 pm

"As modern methods of communication and transportation have continued to improve, the pace of life today has become faster than ever before."

That is a correlation right? We do not know that the modern methods caused the pace of life to be faster than ever before.

Because you could say that, "As test scores drop in the district, the price of gasoline has risen higher than ever before.

That would obviously show that this structure is one indicating correlation.

Since that is true, how could C be the right answer? To say that the changes in people's feelings can result from technological changes?

Can result from = cause. While we only have a correlation. That seems to be the antithesis of conforming to what we are given.

I would be OK with this answer had it said that changes in people's feelings can result from a change in the pace of life.

CREATION

Re: Preptest 57 Section 3 #16

Postby CREATION » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 am

I am bumping this thread since it was nearly at the bottom.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: Preptest 57 Section 3 #16

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am

Good catch.

I'd agree that the as/has construction is not very solid in terms of causation or just correlation. However, we need to find an answer to which the statements conform. That means that the statements lend support to it. There's no contradiction or scope shifts between the statements and (C), though there is, as you have pointed out, wiggle room.

And the LSAT has saved itself from any serious criticism by asking which most closely conforms, and every other answer has more significant flaws.

There's a discussion of the wrong answers here.

[Edit for clarity]

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”