Retaking advice.

gsenator

Retaking advice.

Postby gsenator » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi all. I took my lsat oct 2011 and scored a 158. Most of my diagnostics were a 163-168 so I figure I should not sell myself short by accepting my 158. I've just taken my first LSAT since October and scored a 156 :-( I plan on taking the June test as well as the Oct. if necessary.

Can anyone direct me to a place which has free study materials such as; old published lsat tests. I spent over 200 bucks buying EVERY published lsat from the LSAC, but when I moved I was forced to toss them. (Not to mention the 1.5k I spent on a test prep course). I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me wrangle some tests or if anyone has them on PDF files. I'm already a paying customer, so please don't give me any anti-piracy gripes. Also, are the 2011 tests published yet? I'd love to study off of those!

Lastly, I'm just interested in hearing your advice for "re-studying" the lsat. I've noticed my WEAKEST section is still the games; the section which was my achilies heel on my oct 2011 test. On test day if I had scored more than 10 points on my games I would have earned a 162-164 instead of my 158. :-( On my first re-take practice test, the 156, I scored over 20 in every section and 8 in the logic games. I'm frustrated because I've already done the logic games bible and at one point I was scoring perfect in the games! Any advice to get me back "into the groove" would be helpful!

pdeturk

Re: Retaking advice.

Postby pdeturk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:56 pm

[quote="gsenator"]Hi all. I took my lsat oct 2011 and scored a 158. Most of my diagnostics were a 163-168 so I figure I should not sell myself short by accepting my 158. I've just taken my first LSAT since October and scored a 156 :-( I plan on taking the June test as well as the Oct. if necessary.

Can anyone direct me to a place which has free study materials such as; old published lsat tests. I spent over 200 bucks buying EVERY published lsat from the LSAC, but when I moved I was forced to toss them. (Not to mention the 1.5k I spent on a test prep course). I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me wrangle some tests or if anyone has them on PDF files. I'm already a paying customer, so please don't give me any anti-piracy gripes. Also, are the 2011 tests published yet? I'd love to study off of those!

If that $1.5k went to Kaplan call the 1-800 number and tell them you aren't satisfied with your score and would like to retake. They have every LSAT practice test online for their students. While I am not using the Kaplan method to study, I have certainly made use of the access to the "free" tests online.

gsenator

Postby gsenator » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm

no, wasn't kaplan. Was a small testing company here in the bay area. One which I had pretty great results considering my first test was a 146 and I ended up with 165 on proctored practice tests, and a 158 on game-day. I just need the materials again. god I don't even know if its worth it... I literally have done EVERY published lsat ever released. (scored above 160 on almost all of them!)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm

gsenator wrote:no, wasn't kaplan. Was a small testing company here in the bay area. One which I had pretty great results considering my first test was a 146 and I ended up with 165 on proctored practice tests, and a 158 on game-day. I just need the materials again. god I don't even know if its worth it... I literally have done EVERY published lsat ever released. (scored above 160 on almost all of them!)

It's worth it to retake them. If you already saw the material and properly reviewed it, you should have a solid grasp of the questions. If, despite that, you STILL get something wrong, it must be something with which you don't have a basic familiarity. That means it's something that you should study even more.

Additionally, you'll be surprised how most of the questions don't seem familiar after taking that much time away from them and only looking at them two or three times.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”