Am I on the right track for June? Questions on study plan

shifty_eyed

Am I on the right track for June? Questions on study plan

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm

For those that successfully self-studied or who are doing so currently, did/do you have a detailed study plan that outlines what you will do every day?

I’m somewhat following the pithypike method, but also improvising. I’m afraid my efforts could be more concerted. I am doing a little bit of everything every day, rather than dedicating myself entirely to one section.

I am also trying to do all of the LR Bible in two weeks, and all of the LG Bible in four weeks. I feel like since we only have eight weeks left, this is really my only option if I want to dedicate myself to doing preptests only for the last month. (Trying to go from 170 to 175+)

Here is what I did/am doing today:
Linear (Basic and Advanced) Logic Games: PT 11 Game 2, PT 40 – Game 1, PT 41 – games 1&2, PT 42 – game 2
All but the LG section of PT 12
Reviewed PT 39
Chapter 9 of the LR Bible (a long chapter!)
And I will possibly take the rest of PT 40 tonight as well, just depending on how motivated I feel.

Does this sound good? Too random?

rabois

Re: Am I on the right track for June? Questions on study plan

Postby rabois » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm

---
Last edited by rabois on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm

rabois wrote:Interesting...I can't really comment on your method as I've never tried anything similar, but I can tell you what I'm currently doing It seems to be working.

I take 4 -5 timed tests every week, usually 2 on the weekend and 2 to 3 during the week. I'll review those tests right after I take them. On days when I'm not taking timed tests (and on Sunday after a test), I'm prepping LR (I'm already at 100% on the LG's) which means 1 to 2 chapters of the Manhattan LR book and 50 - 60 questions of a specific type, i.e. sufficient assumption, from tests 1 - 35.

I'm at 175+ right now, up from low 170s a few weeks ago and a diagnostic of 164 to start.

If I can give you any advice, it would be to create a little more structure for yourself. For example, for LR, identify which questions you typically find the most difficult and spend an entire day's session prepping just one of those question types. Do the same for LG. That has really helped propel my LR game.

Yeah, I am trying to master linear games before moving on to grouping and the other games.

Do you have a book of LR questions by type or are you just flipping through old tests?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I loosely followed the PithyPike method but improvised when I needed to as you are doing. It seems like you may not be focusing enough, but it is good to be able to handle all of the sections at once (as you'll do on test day), but try paring it down to your problem areas. Take a week and focus just on LG for the first few days, LR for the next few days, RC for a few days then finish with a timed test. You can figure out which particular questions get you in trouble and drill those following your test. I had trouble with LG at first, but decided to focus solely on it for 2 weeks and got to -0/-1 on most tests. Sometimes it just takes immersing yourself in it. But if this doesn't work for you you still have enough time to try something else. Also, you can burn yourself out on timed tests - especially close to the big day, so don't underestimate just running individual sections.

Or just follow Pithypike to the letter and trust it, if you find yourself needing more discipline this could be a good option.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”