8 weeks enough time for LSAT prep?

anom217

8 weeks enough time for LSAT prep?

Postby anom217 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:42 am

I took a diagnostic and got a 160 (missed about half the questions in LG, mostly due to time constraints). I'm thinking about taking the June LSAT, so starting next week I'd only have about 8 weeks to study. I would intend to follow pithypike's guide, more or less, and put in 15-20 hrs/wk of study. I'm looking for a score of at least 170, preferably 173 or higher. Do I have enough time to realistically achieve this?

Easy-E

Re: 8 weeks enough time for LSAT prep?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 am

anom217 wrote:I took a diagnostic and got a 160 (missed about half the questions in LG, mostly due to time constraints). I'm thinking about taking the June LSAT, so starting next week I'd only have about 8 weeks to study. I would intend to follow pithypike's guide, more or less, and put in 15-20 hrs/wk of study. I'm looking for a score of at least 170, preferably 173 or higher. Do I have enough time to realistically achieve this?

I guess it depends how many hours in the day you have to prepare. Are you working or in school currently? Most people recommend about 3 months, but everyone's different. It'd be impossible for anyone to tell your for sure whether 8 weeks is enough time to reach your goals. That said, LG tends to be the easiest to improve on, so it seems feasible to me. Is there some specific reason you can't / don't want to push till October?

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am

I'm going to say no, but you could very easily surprise me. Half of the logic games ends up being, what, -4 RC, -7 combined LR? Even if you get a perfect score on LG, you still need to get the LR and RC scores up.

You're also going to have to study for at LEAST 20 hours a week for a 170+. Do your best, and then consider retaking in October.

anom217

Postby anom217 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm working 40+ hours a week right now, so I'm not terribly busy. In August I start grad school and I know I'll have very little free time, certainly not enough to make a decent attempt at the lsat in October. But I don't want to waste my time now and give a 75% effort or whatever if it's unrealistic to reach my goal, since I wouldn't be able to study for it again for October/December.

pdeturk

Postby pdeturk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:43 pm

anom217 wrote:I'm working 40+ hours a week right now, so I'm not terribly busy. In August I start grad school and I know I'll have very little free time, certainly not enough to make a decent attempt at the lsat in October. But I don't want to waste my time now and give a 75% effort or whatever if it's unrealistic to reach my goal, since I wouldn't be able to study for it again for October/December.

I rushed for the October test, it was a miserable time and resulted in a less than stellar outcome. I'm sure there are anecdotes that demonstrate it's possible, but my suggestions would be NOT to CRAM.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:45 pm

You can't take it more than three times in a two year period. So if you are sure you aren't going to retake in October, you have nothing to lose by taking in June (since you'll be able to retake at least twice next year, and then possibly even Feb 2014 to get off waitlists.

If I were in your shoes, I would choose to disregard my advice, realize I have graduate school in front of me come October. I would glance over LRs that give me problems, but spend 90% of my time capturing perfection on LGs. That won't put you into 173 territory, but it will give you a shot at 170. If you apply early, 170 might be enough to get into/get small money from t14.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”