Best way to handle the LSAT Experimental Section?

jcccc

Best way to handle the LSAT Experimental Section?

Postby jcccc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Just do an extra random section every time after a prep test?

Geetar Man

Re: Best way to handle the LSAT Experimental Section?

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 pm

jcccc wrote:Just do an extra random section every time after a prep test?

Yes, and do the section you dread/have the most trouble with.
For me, I put reading comp sections bc that's my worst nightmare.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Don't necessarily put it *after* the PrepTest. The experimental can appear anywhere in the exam on test day. You need to get used to the 5th section being a scored section for endurance purposes, as it probably will be a scored section on test day.

Rotate the section of the exam that simulates the experimental with each full-length timed PrepTest you take.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I would also suggest doing 6 section PT's to build stamina. Also, if you are particularly weak at any one section, try using that for the extra section(s). Nothing will get you in shape for the real test like sitting through a 3 section LR or RC practice test.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:01 am

dkb17xzx wrote:I would also suggest doing 6 section PT's to build stamina. Also, if you are particularly weak at any one section, try using that for the extra section(s). Nothing will get you in shape for the real test like sitting through a 3 section LR or RC practice test.

Why would there be three RC sections?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:34 am

There would no more be 3 RC sections than there would be a 6-section test (uh, unless you count the Writing Sample). The point of the above — which may or may not be a good idea — is to build stamina, especially with whatever is most draining to you.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SingleLadies

Postby SingleLadies » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:26 pm

I am also looking to incorporate the experimental section into my practice tests. I am working up from practice test 31 and logic games are my weakness. Should I rip out a logic game from the pre 30's PTs and huck them into the post 30 pts to simulate the experimental without cannibalizing newer tests?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

SingleLadies wrote:I am also looking to incorporate the experimental section into my practice tests. I am working up from practice test 31 and logic games are my weakness. Should I rip out a logic game from the pre 30's PTs and huck them into the post 30 pts to simulate the experimental without cannibalizing newer tests?

Sounds good. Just realize that some of the LGs from Pts 20-30 are pretty difficult. But yeah, I think they are great practice for you.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:19 pm

I just devoted a few old PTs to use as experimentals. This way you get practice doing all three different types of experimental sections.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:I would also suggest doing 6 section PT's to build stamina. Also, if you are particularly weak at any one section, try using that for the extra section(s). Nothing will get you in shape for the real test like sitting through a 3 section LR or RC practice test.

Why would there be three RC sections?

For drilling purposes, not on the real thing. It helps since it's hard to stay focused on that many of whichever section you're bad at. I used to drill three RCs in a row

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 pm

soj wrote:I just devoted a few old PTs to use as experimentals. This way you get practice doing all three different types of experimental sections.

This is exactly what I do.

Also, I find a way to randomly select a number 1-5 and insert the experimental section there, even if it's 1 or 5, and I simply do whatever random section is next in the PT I designated as experimental.
However, I plan to fully exhaust all PT's before June 11th. If you do not plan on this then I would make your weakest section the experimental one more often, but not 100% of the time. Who knows, maybe you think RC is easy until you have to do two in a row or something, might as well take a couple PT's like this even if LR is your worst section at the moment.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 am

I usually pull a section from older designated tests as well, mostly RC or LG, but occasionally a LR to stay sharp. Occasionally I don't have time to add the experimental (busy guy) and I just do the four timed sections back to back with no break to at least somewhat augment the stamina challenge.

Practically irrelevant experimental opinion to follow.

LG is the section I dread the most (greatest chance of seeing something I wasn't expecting ala zepher, dino's etc), but it's my first choice of what I'd like to see as my experimental in June. (The apparent parodox could best be resolved:) Because the line of logic is so different in logic games that my mind almost never tires of it. I regularly drill 12+timed games in a row and never find the score weakening with time. When I drill 8 RC passages in a row my brain gets real jittery. I'm indifferent regarding LR, I tend not to focus very hard on them, theres usually only 3-4 questions a section I even have to really debate in my head. I might find my brain wandering for a long stimulus by section 3 in a row, but I usually finish with substantial time to reread a few questions 10 times if need be...the same can't be said for RC. While theres too much on the line to put any credence in the concept of trying to evaluate which section is the experimental, I feel like I would have the best shot at guessing a LG to be 'off' in some way then any other section. With the exception of my Feb experimental which was reading comp and had a passage that was legit no longer a quarter page. There was room for the first question to appear on the LEFT side of the page under the passage lol. As soon as I saw that I was like hmm, this is odd indeed.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:33 am

Do five sections. In practice, the section in which you score highest should always be treated as the experimental section no amtter what. Use your most challenging section as a fifth section so you get the extra practice, i.e. if you are weak in LG, your fifth section should be LG. If you score highest in another section, like RC, then RC should still be treated as your experimental. Hence, the section you pick as your fifth section shouldn't necessarily be your experimental. This works!

Extra tip: The key is to do five sections and always make your highest scored section your experimental. It's one of the best ways to simulate real testing conditions. You might also consider shortening your section times from 35 minutes to 33. Do not go any lower than 33 minutes! Some test prep companies have instructors who advise against this, but it is a good way to simulate the time-crunch you will feel. Shorten your time...then slow down...relax and go at a steady pace. You'll be shocked at how much time you really have to do a section.

Simulate real conditions by taking short 30-45 second breaks between sections, with a 15-20 minute break between sections 3 and 4.

Once you start doing five sections, you should also simulate what you will eat on test day. Eat during the practice breaks what you plan to eat on testing day during the break. I suggest a banana or apple, a granola bar, a small apple juice or orange juice...maybe some carrot sticks. Lunchables and yogurt are also great. You need some sugar and a good carb for a quick burst of energy. It makes a difference.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 pm

PDaddy wrote:

Do five sections. In practice, the section in which you score highest should always be treated as the experimental section no amtter what. Use your most challenging section as a fifth section so you get the extra practice, i.e. if you are weak in LG, your fifth section should be LG. If you score highest in another section, like RC, then RC should still be treated as your experimental. Hence, the section you pick as your fifth section shouldn't necessarily be your experimental. This works!

Extra tip: The key is to do five sections and always make your highest scored section your experimental. It's one of the best ways to simulate real testing conditions.

Not only do I simply not understand this advice, but I seriously doubt you yourself have actually done this (though I know you must have since you are advocating it, I just can't see it being at all really possible).
Firstly: The LSAT will never, ever ever have a test where there is one RC or LG, or two LR, and one of those sections is experimental. Literally never. So why would we simulate these condition when the only thing it can possibly do is mess with our score? If someone has a tougher time on LR, sure, go ahead and make LR your experimental section, but then not counting the LG section for your score and counting three LR just for the sake of it...how does that do anything?

Secondly: as skewed of a score you will get when discounting your best section, it pales in comparison to whatever wacky score you would get when trying to convert 3 sections from one test and one section from another into a 120-180 score. This is where I doubt you yourself have done this, because literally how would you do it? and what would be the point in the first place?

Edit: Now that I wrote that, and seriously continued to consider how such a thing would be possible, I realized you may have just worded what you meant to say in an extremely verb-tense-error ridden way. Do you just mean make the section you are best at your experimental? 'Cause that at least falls in the realm of practicable. I would still be interested in hearing why this is the best way to simulate real testing day conditions though...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”