Has anyone ever taken the LSAT and prepared for it abroad?

Gamecock15

Has anyone ever taken the LSAT and prepared for it abroad?

Postby Gamecock15 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm currently only a freshman in college. At this point, I have a 4.0 and sophomore standing. I'm a French/Theatre double major. As such, I plan on spending my junior year abroad in France. However, I am also considering law school. (I have a lot of time on my hands to figure out if this is the right path for me, obviously).

I see that the LSAT is available to be taken in Paris.

My question is: Has anyone here ever had to do this? I know it is common for prospective law students to take the LSAT in June of their junior year, so I am wondering if this is made more difficult by being in another country.

I'm guessing that things like prep courses are almost out of the question, but what about study materials for self-study? Are those accessible abroad? The reason I'm asking is that if it appears as though it will be a major problem, I may just push my abroad time to only spring of sophomore year or only fall of junior year.

Also, I have read that law schools only care about the LSAT and GPA for the most part, but I have see where some say that performing arts majors aren't taken seriously. Does being a Theatre major hurt me even though I have a 4.0?

ehall20

Re: Has anyone ever taken the LSAT and prepared for it abroad?

Postby ehall20 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 am

I haven't taken the test yet, but I'm currently overseas and have been able to obtain the study materials with no real hassle. As long as you have a stable internet connection (and preferably access to a printer) getting soft copies of the prep material can save you a lot of hassle getting things shipped to wherever you are. As far as taking the test: there are people on here that have taken it in Iraq, so I would assume you'd be able to find an LSAC approved test site in France.

Gamecock15

Postby Gamecock15 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks for the response!

I did look and there is exactly one testing site in France in Paris. Which, I won't probably be studying in Paris. (It's too expensive; Another reason for studying in France is that it will actually be cheaper for me and I might not have to take out any loans that year.) Travel in Europe is pretty easy though, so I suspect that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Does anyone know of anything I can do in my free time to kind of prepare myself for the LSAT before actually studying for it? I've heard reading things like The New Yorker and doing sudoku puzzles are both great exercises to help develop writing skills and logical reasoning. I don't foresee myself taking a logic course any time soon and most of my future writing exercises will be in French.

phx

Postby phx » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 am

Gamecock15 wrote:Thanks for the response!

I did look and there is exactly one testing site in France in Paris. Which, I won't probably be studying in Paris. (It's too expensive; Another reason for studying in France is that it will actually be cheaper for me and I might not have to take out any loans that year.) Travel in Europe is pretty easy though, so I suspect that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Does anyone know of anything I can do in my free time to kind of prepare myself for the LSAT before actually studying for it? I've heard reading things like The New Yorker and doing sudoku puzzles are both great exercises to help develop writing skills and logical reasoning. I don't foresee myself taking a logic course any time soon and most of my future writing exercises will be in French.

I took the LSAT in Madrid while working in another part of Spain. I took a cheap flight in the night before and then rocked the test the next day. It was a little inconvenient because of the transportation and hotel costs, but it didn't end up being too bad.

downing

Postby downing » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:24 am

I took the LSAT in Korea. It was at Yonsei University, about an hour from where I lived at the time.

I got a 165, and studied with practice tests and the PowerScore books. I was fortunate in that there were a few bookstores in Seoul that had all these things, otherwise I probably would have used Amazon.com. Some people suggest reading the Economist, because its style is somewhat reminiscent of the dense nature of the LSAT reading comp section. I don't think sudoku will help; you'll need to develop specific strategies tailored to the actual LSAT logic games, and the available prep material does just that.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:43 am

Yes, I actually took the LSAT at the Paris site, though I was studying elsewhere in France.

Basically, here's the thing. Studying abroad is a fabulous experience and you will probably want to make the most of your time there. When I was there, I spent my weekends traveling and my weekdays hanging out in cafes all evening. At the same time, I had a friend who took a prep test every day for three months. She did very well, but I don't know that she made the most of her experience.

Why not study the summer before you go and take the October test when you arrive? Or just take the test after you get back to the US/graduate. Taking time off to get some work experience is always a good idea.

Gamecock15

Postby Gamecock15 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. They are all very helpful. :)

And I may take a gap year after college. I still have a lot of time to decide. However, with my degree, I'm not exactly sure how easy it will be to find a job (not that it's much easier with a law degree, but I'm aiming high). Then again, if I absolutely cannot find anything, I could spend the year working in my parent's law firm, which would not be such a negative.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:00 pm

I actually tried to do this. I signed up for the test in Bangkok, but ended up drinking too much beer and finding myself too much for any studying to take place. I rescheduled and took it back in the states.

So that is one person on the failed miserably side.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I actually tried to do this. I signed up for the test in Bangkok, but ended up drinking too much beer and finding myself too much for any studying to take place. I rescheduled and took it back in the states.

I took the test in Bangkok - however I was living in a different city.

To OP: It's doable.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:31 pm

dkb17xzx wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I actually tried to do this. I signed up for the test in Bangkok, but ended up drinking too much beer and finding myself too much for any studying to take place. I rescheduled and took it back in the states.

I took the test in Bangkok - however I was living in a different city.

To OP: It's doable.

How are testing conditions?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”