PRACTICE TEST 41--Some quick questions about the questions

Helicio

PRACTICE TEST 41--Some quick questions about the questions

Postby Helicio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Number 23 in Section 1

Why is the answer A but not C? I thought the word "express" in answer choice A made it incorrect, right?

Number 14 in Section 3

Why is this B? Why is it not C or (especially) E?

Thanks guys.

-Helicio

Helicio

Re: PRACTICE TEST 41--Some quick questions about the questions

Postby Helicio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 pm

bump :)

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:02 am

Somebody else can weigh in on the first question and I'm having some trouble putting this second explanation into words but I think it goes something like this:

#14. Conclusion of Argument: If ~overwhelming evidence --------> accept verdict of tradition.

B). If we accept a hypothesis that goes against tradition------> Overwhelming evidence.

CONTRAPOSITIVE: ~ overwhelming evidence -------> ~accept a hypothesis that goes against tradition.

More accurately the sufficient condition can be stated as: accept a hypothesis that goes WITH tradition.

I think C is wrong because the argument is really only addressing what the outcome ought to be if we don't have enough evidence AGAINST a claim. It says nothing of the requirements of evidence we ought to have FOR a claim/hypothesis.

I think E is wrong because the principle stated in the answer choice requires two hypothesis to conflict with tradition. However, the principle applied in the argument could have very well been applied with only one hypothesis in conflict with the traditional hypothesis.

I think that explanation about sums it up but I'm interested to hear some other viewpoints as well.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:25 am

There's a discussion of both problems here. Hope that's helpful...

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks guys.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”