Should I take the LSAT for a THIRD time?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shifty_eyed

Gold

Should I take the LSAT for a THIRD time?

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am

I took the LSAT in September 2009 and October 2010 and got 170 both times. I studied by taking old practice tests. The first time, I had been scoring 165-173 on practice tests and was pleasantly surprised by my score. The second time, I had been scoring 172-179 (consistently over 173 by the end of my studying), but had a bad testing experience and debated canceling (now wish I had!). I am open to retaking, but feel a third score would probably look bad unless I improved significantly, which realistically will be hard to do.

Until a recent promotion, my job was so stressful that I couldn't even think about studying and retaking the LSAT. Now, I have much more downtime, and could even study a bit at work (stealthily).

My GPA is 3.28. I have no compelling explanation for this, but I did get a dual degree (BS/BA) in two very different majors.

I think my best bet is applying EARLY next cycle with a polished PS and application. Therefore, I think I would need to take the June LSAT?

SO to sum up, should I retake the LSAT again? Is two months enough time to study, especially considering I haven't looked at one in a year and a half?

T00L

Silver

Re: Should I take the LSAT for a THIRD time?

Postby T00L » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 am

The answer is ALWAYS yes if you think you can do better/ will always live is a state of "what if?"

Two 170s are pretty solid. The worst thing that can happen is you feel like you screwed up on the day and then cancel.

I personally know someone who had the same score twice before jumping 11pts on the third try. That person's admission cycle is going almost as if the first two never happened.*

*I would, however, assume that the higher one goes on the totem poll, the more likely schools are going to seriously look at all three scores. ex: a T30 might be gushing to take a 167 (with $$$) from someone who also had two 160s. On the other hand, harvard might hesitate more if it were 170/170/177.... see what im trying to say?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks, T00L. I know with my GPA I'm not HYS or CCN material. I would LOVE a shot at Penn/Duke/Michigan/Vandy/UCLA/Texas (not geographically attached anywhere, really but am in TX now). With a 170 I think schools like Wash U, Emory, W&M are my best bets.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:36 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Thanks, T00L. I know with my GPA I'm not HYS or CCN material. I would LOVE a shot at Penn/Duke/Michigan/Vandy/UCLA/Texas (not geographically attached anywhere, really but am in TX now). With a 170 I think schools like Wash U, Emory, W&M are my best bets.

I think if you're a Texas resident and you apply early, you have a pretty solid shot at UT, despite your GPA. Nevertheless, it's worth it to retake if you think you can improve.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm

After spending the past couple hours stewing over this and reading TLS, I think a retake is worth it. Just not sure if I should aim for June or October. I feel like I can do it by June, but I don't want to end up thinking WHAT IF I waited. My other concern is that I generally get sleepy after lunch, and that the afternoon test time might actually be a disadvantage for me in June. On the other hand, I'd like to get the LSAT over with earlier, so I can concentrate on perfecting my applications.

I think I will start studying TODAY, and if I'm not scoring above 174 consistently on PTs before the deadline to sign up for the June LSAT, I should wait until October. Does this sound like a decent plan?

Samara

Gold

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:After spending the past couple hours stewing over this and reading TLS, I think a retake is worth it. Just not sure if I should aim for June or October. I feel like I can do it by June, but I don't want to end up thinking WHAT IF I waited. My other concern is that I generally get sleepy after lunch, and that the afternoon test time might actually be a disadvantage for me in June. On the other hand, I'd like to get the LSAT over with earlier, so I can concentrate on perfecting my applications.

I think I will start studying TODAY, and if I'm not scoring above 174 consistently on PTs before the deadline to sign up for the June LSAT, I should wait until October. Does this sound like a decent plan?

Sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck!

T00L

Silver

Postby T00L » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:After spending the past couple hours stewing over this and reading TLS, I think a retake is worth it. Just not sure if I should aim for June or October. I feel like I can do it by June, but I don't want to end up thinking WHAT IF I waited. My other concern is that I generally get sleepy after lunch, and that the afternoon test time might actually be a disadvantage for me in June. On the other hand, I'd like to get the LSAT over with earlier, so I can concentrate on perfecting my applications.

Hard call, but I would do everything I could to take June if I were you.

lovejopd

Silver

Postby lovejopd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Thanks, T00L. I know with my GPA I'm not HYS or CCN material. I would LOVE a shot at Penn/Duke/Michigan/Vandy/UCLA/Texas (not geographically attached anywhere, really but am in TX now). With a 170 I think schools like Wash U, Emory, W&M are my best bets.

I think if you're a Texas resident and you apply early, you have a pretty solid shot at UT, despite your GPA. Nevertheless, it's worth it to retake if you think you can improve.

Where have you been?~:-)

How's your prep~?

Hope you are doing great~~

shifty_eyed

Gold

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Also, should I take a class or stick with self-study?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Postby kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Good luck! :mrgreen:

shifty_eyed

Gold

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm buying the logic games and reasoning bibles tonight, as well as all the practice tests I don't already own. Game on!

LawSuccess

New

Postby LawSuccess » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

YES! Trust yourself. Take as much time as you think you'll need and use the method that you think will best work for you.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm

T00L wrote:

Hard call, but I would do everything I could to take June if I were you.

Applying right after you get your October score is still way early. Nothing wrong with waiting if you need to.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:26 am

shifty_eyed wrote:Also, should I take a class or stick with self-study?

Missed this question before. I think a class can certainly be helpful if you have the money, especially if you feel like you've peaked on your own. However, I would be cautious too. As previous posters have said, if you don't feel like you're scoring consistently where you want shortly before test day - don't take it in June. Instead, use that time to solidify your plan of attack to the LSAT. For me, where I was scoring shortly before test day was a great predictor for my actual LSAT score. I'm inclined to think that it's this way for most people - and that great deviations from scores shortly before the actual day of the test are anomalies.

I did take a class (if you want more details on this, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share my experiences).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�