35-1-17

timmydoeslsat

35-1-17

Postby timmydoeslsat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 pm

I am attempting to come up with a hypothetical situation that could explain finding a 3 million year old fossil, whose kind has only been found in ocean floor sediments, underneath the ice sheet covering central Antarctica.

The argument goes from stating that volcanoes or climatic warming could have caused melting of the ice, that melting of the ice did take place.

I am not sure how else to explain this finding other than melting of the ice. Of course there are silly ideas such as a group of people drilling holes through the ice and depositing the fossils there, but what realistically can explain this other than melting.

Micdiddy

Re: 35-1-17

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:25 am

"On the basis of available evidence..."

Does not mean something is absolutely proven. So, it may be that Antarctica has not been covered by an ice sheet for 14 million years at all, which the argument simply assumes is true.
So, the argument claims there is only one solution, when in fact multiple are possible.

timmydoeslsat

Postby timmydoeslsat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 am

I mean't to post that i felt this would have been the only way to attack it. I suppose my question is that other than disputing the age of the ice being there, is there a way other than the melting of the ice temporarily. I cannot think of any rational explanation, just a ridiculous one of drilling a hole through the ice.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Perhaps some sort of odd tectonic movement? You could, of course, disprove that, but the LSAT can't test whether we know that. But, as you seem to grasp, the question doesn't require another explanation since one is provided (as Mcdiddy explained).

However, if you'd like to go out and drill a hole with me and drop a few fossils, I've always wanted to ice fish...

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:12 am

"MUST HAVE" temporarily melted is the giveaway/key info IMO. The ice sheet might only be 2 million years old. We don't know for sure. If it was 2 million years old, than there was no melting 3 million years ago.

Don't know if I'm being a dead horse here, but that's how I approached it.

Sometimes geological questions are tough for me because I was a geology major and have to stop myself from trying to think about the science behind the words/logic.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”