Burnt Out?

collegebum1989

Burnt Out?

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Is it possible to burn out from studying too much and regressing in terms of performance?

For past two days, I've been having trouble with questions which are usually my strengths, and noticed that my stamina has decreased as I'm doing a section.

This is after last week when I spent nearly 5-6 hours studying everyday. I've been improving continuously but feel like I'm "unlearning" all the diligent practice I've developed last couple of months.

Anyone else experience this?

gaud

Re: Burnt Out?

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Yes, it's possible to burn out.

Take some time off. Like a few days to an entire week. You'll be glad you did it.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:54 pm

When considering that the LSAT is not for another 2 months, there is no way you will be able to keep up that pace and not burn out.

Definitely step away from the material for at least a day. If you are messing stuff up that you usually get right, spend your first day back studying just reviewing what you are getting wrong.

You still have a lot of time left to make a lot of progress. If you don't relax now, you won't get better.

LSutton721

Postby LSutton721 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Are you keeping track of your health? You need to sleep enough every night and make sure your taking care of your brain. Try to mix some physical activity in between your study session to get the blood flowing. Consider taking a nootropic like Doxiderol it always gives me an extra boost when studying.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Haha my health is ok, I've been getting plenty of sleep but my schedule's a little off since I had spring break last week and went back to classes this week.

Good to know Im not the only one. I also had a change in study routine. Until now, I've been drilling by type with a certain number of questions of each section per day at certain times of the day, etc.

However, I recently realized after taking a diagnostic test last week that the drilling wasn't helping me anymore since I needed to work on my stamina during sections and become comfortable with pacing.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Last edited by PARTY on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSutton721

Postby LSutton721 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 pm

I think there's times when you hit plateaus when studying. Your probably doing better just the changes aren't as drastic as your used to.

Party- Modafinil and Adderall etc are prescription drugs that I never really wanted to get into. Adderall made me feel cracked out.
Doxiderol is OTC and more about giving you a natural boost. I've been taking it daily.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 pm

how did you hear about doxiderol? i cant seem to find much information about it aside from the proprietor's website.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Where do you purchase these magic brain pills?

LSutton721

Postby LSutton721 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 pm

On the magical internet. Use the magical website Google.

or... http://www.doxiderol.com/

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 pm

LSutton721 wrote:On the magical internet. Use the magical website Google.

or... http://www.doxiderol.com/

I was hoping there was a retailer that I could just go pick some up from. Thanks though.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Drugs are bad...mmmkay?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 pm

A) I'm skeptical of anyone with 6 posts pushing a product I've never heard of.

B) I'm starting to subscribe to the burnt out mentality recently. Today I got visibly angry and borderline violent with an LSAT book in front of me. I've been pushing it way to hard recently I suppose. I wasn't in a good spot mentally to be taking a full test and realized it about halfway through section one. I don't have a tremendous amount of untouched tests to be breaking into parts, so I didn't want to stop and lose another legit PT I could use to feel it out my score. I ended up doing way worse then expected (although not terrible by objective standards), I couldn't focus, and I had a headache...At some point I was so frustrated I wanted to flip the desk I was in. I got shit wrong that I would never get wrong, which only made me more frustrated after I graded it.

This test can be so frustrating sometimes. When drilling, I will literally answer 95% of questions put in front of me correctly, and always in a time well less then I'd have under testing conditions. If I put 8 on the clock, and a LG in front of me, I get them all right almost always, If I put 35 min on the clock and do four, I get 1 wrong total. If I take a full test, I do worse. Every section is like this. Timed section, -1...Same type section in a real test, -4. Granted today wasn't really representative of my overall performance, that doesn't stop me from being awfully pissed about it all night. I need a break. I was so pissed afterwards that I considered smashing into a car that cut me off on the way home. Literally.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:A)I was so pissed afterwards that I considered smashing into a car that cut me off on the way home. Literally.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 am

PARTY wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:A)I was so pissed afterwards that I considered smashing into a car that cut me off on the way home. Literally.

\

Ikr...

Clearlynostefan... go get laid :) that might take the edge off...

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Dude, I was literally going to post this exact same thread. I have been totally burnt out (see my post in "Things to hate about the LSAT"...then buy my nifty miracle pills).

I studied and increased my score steadily and then hit 176 in a diagnostic and felt great, 'cause I was like "OMG 176 with two months to go, I has a 180 maybz?"
Next three diagnositics: 169, 171, 170.

Which are fine and all, but like, worse than before.

I lost my nervous energy before a preptest, with I think helped me stay focus. I used to literally approach it like it would determine my life, and stay pumped and bounce my feet while taking it. Now I'm just like, this is what I do, almost a job mentality except not a cool job or fun job, just a desk and books in front of you.

Oh well, I'll work on my knowledge and logistics of the test, fall in love with it again later.

Dan Millman

Postby Dan Millman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Burnout is overrated. Hit the PTs!

LSutton721

Postby LSutton721 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:51 pm

d0rklord wrote:
PARTY wrote:

\

Ikr...

Clearlynostefan... go get laid :) that might take the edge off...

Clearlynostefan... Sounds like you need some serious help..

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 am

I'm the only one that's been frustrated by the LSAT once or twice? Find that hard to believe. I have 22 credits this semester, work full time, and am studying the lsat 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Tell me you've done that, scored 5-7 points below your average score, and walked away totally happy with it.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm the only one that's been frustrated by the LSAT once or twice? Find that hard to believe. I have 22 credits this semester, work full time, and am studying the lsat 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Tell me you've done that, scored 5-7 points below your average score, and walked away totally happy with it.

just dandy, brah.

doclover

Postby doclover » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm the only one that's been frustrated by the LSAT once or twice? Find that hard to believe. I have 22 credits this semester, work full time, and am studying the lsat 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Tell me you've done that, scored 5-7 points below your average score, and walked away totally happy with it.

I was going to say that you sound pretty normal to me...

ashika2212

Postby ashika2212 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:12 pm

In my opinion:

Burning out is not from over-studying, rather it is from stagnation in your improvement. If after every 10 hour session you shot your LSAT up 2 points I guarantee you that you would not want to stop until you hit that 180, which is why in the beginning when your score sees the biggest increase you aren't burned out.

Due to diminishing returns, you'll begin the transition from instant gratification to long term reward (which is well documented) that gives you this feeling of being burned out. As long as you continue to seek instant gratification, anything requiring a long-term investment will seem unappealing and you'll mentally shut down and not care anymore (the drop in scores). A comparable situation is day-traders in the stock market who switch long term investments, they just can't do it and are much worse at it.

You need to acknowledge that although each PT will not raise your score significantly anymore, it will give you consistency and reinforce concepts. Scoring 180 twice may be good, but scoring 180 20 times and taking each PT with full strength you will be much more likely to score 180 on the real thing.

I was a high-performing gamer poor-performing academic in high school, the transition got to me too, I found the only solution was to cut back on things such as shooting the shit on the internet, watching TV, and playing video games so I could continue to focus on work even when I thought I knew it all, and it's paid off.

On another note, whenever I start to lose the will to study I go for a run and listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw41UQU_J0A

Hope the video helps!

Wow I just rambled on, my bad.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Thank you for the amazing response, and I definitely agree with you. I was the same with school as well. Performed horribly all the way through senior year of undergrad, until literally employed the same technique as you (no tv, no video games) and shifted my hobbies to activities which were either directly beneficial to my goals or worked on developing/accomplishing these goals.

I was rewarded with better grades, better work ethic, and a better understanding of how to prioritize. However, I feel this is difficult to do with the LSAT. Don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but the more I try to study, the more foreign the material seems. Last month, NA was my strengths on the LR section, now after drilling and beginning mixed review, I struggle with them.

Most studying advice on this site come from identifying your weaknesses. I just can't seem to do this, because I'm not getting a particular type wrong. I just read a stimulus, and I understand the strategies for each question. But I can't for the life me of understand certain ones no matter how slow I read it lol. I get those wrong. Also, I've seen that my performance depends on what time of day it is.

On practice tests, my performance on LR and RC vary between multiple tests, although my overall score has been consistent.

LSutton721

Postby LSutton721 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:01 am

Ashika - Great post. It isn't about over studying its about diminishing returns. It's kind of like the 80/20 rule. The issue is that if your looking to get a top score or really excelling at something that marginal difference does make a big difference.

I think it just that if you want to be in the 99th percentile your going to do 10 times the work then the person who is in the 95th percentile. This can obviously be frustrating and why so few get to the top.

LSutton721

Postby LSutton721 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Taking nootropics in college more popular than I thought...
http://finance.fox23news.com/inergize.w ... s_in_users

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”