Where do I stand for when I take the LSAT?

rmkLAWhopeful

Where do I stand for when I take the LSAT?

Postby rmkLAWhopeful » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 pm

I have known for quite some time that I want to go to law school. I have looked into a lot of the aspects about law school and applying, but didn't know much about the LSAT. I, being a college freshman, decided to sign up for an LSAT workshop, which included a practice LSAT under the same timed requirements of the real LSAT. I went in not knowing what to expect, only knowing that there would be a logic section (not exactly sure what that meant though) and a reading comprehension section.

I got my results back and I scored a 154.

How is this score looking? I have two years of preparation ahead of me (let's be real, I am not going to be studying intensely this entire time (unless you think I should)). Is it possible to be to get above a 170 in this time?

I have to say, for just walking in and taking it I am quite proud of myself. The questions weren't too bad. But I learned two things:
1. Studying, studying, studying will be the key. Primarily for answer speed.
2. Stamina seems to be key. My scores dwindled, and then picked back up at the end. It's a long exam compared to the ACT/SAT, but I think is a problem that is easy enough to combat.

So what do you guys think?
Also, what's your advice for improving my score? What's the best way to study (an answer is probably on this forum, but I haven't really prowled around yet)?

EDIT:

I also learned how important a breakfast and some decent sleep will be. I had a strip of bacon and 6 hours of sleep beforehand. Not making excuses, but like I said the endurance thing hit me! I was three sections in and I was a bit dreary, and wanted to get out to get some food!

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: Where do I stand for when I take the LSAT?

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 am

Wha? Can you hit 170 two years from now!? If you bust your ass and have the aptitude, you could hit it by June...If you don't do/have either, you won't hit it in two years regardless. Don't study for two years straight, maybe take a glance here and there, but you'll grow to hate this test after two years, and you'll exhaust all materials (including like 3 retakes of each test!) if you study heavily. Looking this far out (assuming this practice test as a freshman wasn't 4 years ago) take a philosophy class or two, and for the love of God keep your GPA as high as possible. I would kill to be a freshman again and have a shot to fix my GPA.

I'd say keep contact with the test for a while. Find out what you really suck at (usually LG at first), and start toying with the games here and there, pick up a book like LGB and maybe flip through a few chapters, start to get familiar with it now, but 2 years of the real hardcore shit is likely counter-productive. Also, realize that if your still a freshman, you're gonna learn a LOT of shit over the next 3 years, and in general, your ability to interpret, analyze, organize, structure, and form arguments will grow just as a result of the experience gained.

Also, bacon is the breakfast of champions.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:28 am

In line, for a bit. Then you sit for a while.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 am

lsatcrazy wrote:In line, for a bit. Then you sit for a while.

well played...well played.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 am

Stretching your prep put over 2 years actually may not be helpful. A 12 month timeframe offers the best pacing IMHO.

Chill for a year, take some philosophy classes in the meantime.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:15 am

Get a bunch of A+s. The life of a splitter is not enviable.

rmkLAWhopeful

Postby rmkLAWhopeful » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 am

What was your score distribution? How many did you get wrong on LR, RC, and LG?

Reading Comprehension: 20/27
Reasoning I: 19/25
Reasoning II: 15/26
Logic Games: 12/23
Experimental: 14 (doesn't matter anyways, but it was Logic Games)
TOTAL SUM: 66 --> Raw converted to a 154

Wha? Can you hit 170 two years from now!? If you bust your ass and have the aptitude, you could hit it by June...If you don't do/have either, you won't hit it in two years regardless. Don't study for two years straight, maybe take a glance here and there, but you'll grow to hate this test after two years, and you'll exhaust all materials (including like 3 retakes of each test!) if you study heavily. Looking this far out (assuming this practice test as a freshman wasn't 4 years ago) take a philosophy class or two, and for the love of God keep your GPA as high as possible. I would kill to be a freshman again and have a shot to fix my GPA.

I am taking a practical logic philosophy course which is pretty good for people planning on taking the GPA as high as possible.
HOPEFULLY, my GPA will end up somewhere around a 3.97-4.0 my freshman year. I hope I can keep it this way for the next three years... we'll see.

Also, bacon is the breakfast of champions.

I agree. BUT one strip of bacon just isn't enough to suffice... ever.

In line, for a bit. Then you sit for a while.

I don't understand...

Get a bunch of A+s. The life of a splitter is not enviable.

That's what I hope to do. I want above a 170 AND between a 3.8-4.0 GPA. Shoot for the stars and aim high, right?

Thanks for all of the help guys! I got a test prep book from the workshop and I think I'm going to spend the next eight months or so working through it all for fun. I'll be taking a few philosophy courses and plan on taking a practice LSAT my sophomore year (let's see if I can get above a 165 or something). :)

And I'll be sure to eat more bacon, of course.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 pm

rmkLAWhopeful wrote:
What was your score distribution? How many did you get wrong on LR, RC, and LG?

Reading Comprehension: 20/27
Reasoning I: 19/25
Reasoning II: 15/26
Logic Games: 12/23
Experimental: 14 (doesn't matter anyways, but it was Logic Games)
TOTAL SUM: 66 --> Raw converted to a 154

You're in pretty good shape, as your LG is lower than the rest, and that's the easiest section to improve upon.

I wouldn't recommend studying for 2 years. Focus on keeping your GPA up and enjoying college (1 is more important than 2). Then, when Junior year rolls around, plan on studying for the June LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”