Post-drilling Reading Bibles Study Phase

collegebum1989

Post-drilling Reading Bibles Study Phase

Postby collegebum1989 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Ive drilled every question type, read all the bibles and some of the Manhattan LSAT, took about ~5-6 timed/sit in practice tests. I've completed PT7-24 so far in section drills or untimed practice tests. My timing/pacing is good, I'm able to able consistently finish within 30-31 minutes for all sections.

My question is, what do I do until June from now on? Should I continue doing section drills using 25-40 and use 41-65 for timed practice tests?

I'm not noticing particular trends in the section drills that I have been doing. I usually get different types of questions wrong and majority of the ones I get wrong are usually stimuli that are dense and I have trouble understanding the structure. Drilling by types hasn't helped since I did that all of last week. After getting used to PTs in the 20s last week, I'm getting all question types from 1-7 wrong. I tried reading the sections in the bibles, but I feel like I know the approach. I just get the difficult questions wrong.

How can I improve my score? Im averaging around a 165 now, but the section scores are pretty inconsistent. Should I continue to take more section drills to get a more representative sample of performance?

Micdiddy

Re: Post-drilling Reading Bibles Study Phase

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

First of all, yes keep taking practice tests. They probably won't get you over the hump on their own, but they can never hurt and will get you more used to all kinds of dense passages, patterns and the like.

Second- Re-read the Bible. Lots of concepts don't sufficiently sink in one round through. I am positive a lot of mistakes you are making are covered in the bible and you need a refresher on how to fix them.

Third- Try a different approach. Do you ever diagram on LR? On dense stimuli diagramming may help boil down the info into an easy to understand formula that you can compare to the answer choices.

Another approach is to recognize answers that MUST BE WRONG on tough questions instead of focusing on which one is right. If an answer is to general or too specific, if it is irrelevant or if it achieves the opposite of what is being asked (supports an argument when the question asks which answer weakens it) then it must be wrong no matter how smart it sounds. This should almost always narrow your focus to two or three answers, and even then applying this technique fully and thoughtfully will eliminate the tough "sound good" wrong answers as well. For example: Are two answers very similar but makes a small, almost imperceptible assumption? Does one make a small non-essential leap, such as Q: Why does this conclusion not logically follow from the evidence? "A: It falsely assumes that all pesticides damage crops" when maybe it is only falsely assuming that BK's Miracle Pesticides damage crops ( see the difference?).

Fourth- Find a tutor/program. It's expensive, and some people feel they swallow their pride, but another set of highly trained, intelligent and analytical eyes can greatly help discover your weaknesses.

I am sure there are more ways to go about it but these are the few off the top of my head.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”