3 Test in 2 Years Exceptions

TheZoid

3 Test in 2 Years Exceptions

Postby TheZoid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:36 pm

LSAC says you can appeal for an exception to the 3 test in 2 year rule. What do they consider valid reasons to grant this exception?

bp shinners

Re: 3 Test in 2 Years Exceptions

Postby bp shinners » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 pm

TheZoid wrote:LSAC says you can appeal for an exception to the 3 test in 2 year rule. What do they consider valid reasons to grant this exception?

So far, I don't think anyone knows, as I haven't heard of any being granted. I think you'll need a seriously crazy series of events to qualify, as I've heard some good reasons for needing a 4th that were rejected.

Personally, my thought is that you'll have to have a reason why all three of your previous exams shouldn't have counted, and have each of those reasons be absolutely free from any way to blame them on you. That's pure speculation, though.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Probably only need a reason that one of the three prior sittings should not be counted.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm

haha, pretty crazy. thanks for the response bp.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:51 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Probably only need a reason that one of the three prior sittings should not be counted.

That hasn't been true so far. We've had plenty of students apply who had legitimate excuses for one sitting (e.g. death in the family, hospitalization) who were denied.

From talking with people at LSAC, the impression I have is that the bar is really, really high, and they assume that 3 will be enough for everyone, but they're willing to listen in case someone out there has an unfortunate and highly improbable series of events which they didn't consider when writing the policy.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Odd if accurate since that would constitute a total reversal of policy. What about a testing center disturbance ? Any experience with that reason for a retake ?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Odd if accurate since that would constitute a total reversal of policy. What about a testing center disturbance ? Any experience with that reason for a retake ?

Yep, and no dice. I've had students with fire alarms going off during a section and major sporting events going on during the exam who failed to get a waiver.

And I think it's more a reversal of their perceived policy than the actual one. The old one relied on the law schools to be the gatekeepers more than the LSAC. As that system got abused and law schools started giving them out like candy (and from reports on here and with students, it was getting REALLY abused), the LSAC took the policy away from them and took it over themselves. I'd be interested to see what the policy was like before they turned the reins over to the law schools (if that wasn't always the policy).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”