Working full time while studying

yoji

Working full time while studying

Postby yoji » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Does anybody here have experience in studying for the LSAT while working full time? I signed up for a prep course to take the test in June, but I also work from 9am-6pm everyday. I’m a little worried about how I’m going to juggle these two things at the same time. Any tips/advice from those who have been in similar situation would be very appreciated (or a link to a similar thread).
Last edited by yoji on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Working full time while studying

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Reboot your brain after work before trying to study. I either ate dinner and watched some TV, or exercised, or both. The few times I tried to study or take a PT immediately after work, I did really badly.

Aside from that, I don't think there was really any issue with studying while working. Unless you're working insane hours, there's plenty of time in the evenings.

sikemenow

Postby sikemenow » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Reboot your brain after work before trying to study. I either ate dinner and watched some TV, or exercised, or both. The few times I tried to study or take a PT immediately after work, I did really badly.

This. I generally also tried to give myself a mental break between work and studying. Exercise is my stress reliever and worked well for me to revamp myself to efficiently put in 3-4 hours of studying in the evenings.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Postby 03152016 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

princeR

Postby princeR » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Working while studying is probably beneficial, well, for me at least. Making myself not think about the LSAT for 8 hours a day or so lets me mind take in all that I have studied/learned, and you are also going to be more unlikely to get burnt out.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am

Max324 wrote:A recent thread on this topic: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=178815

OP from that topic, the biggest thing I took away was to give yourself some time. I find some days I can't wait to get home and get at my prep materials (usually when I'm doing games), and other days I can't even think about it (RC). On the latter days, take an hour and just watch some TV, play a video game, cook something, whittle, practice juggling, listen to music, or just sit motionless staring at the wall.

masticore99

Postby masticore99 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:17 pm

I work pretty long hours and I study for the LSAT. I study in the mornings when I'm fresh, from 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the morning. For me, I'm so tired or work so late that I'm too exhausted at night so I just relax in the evenings and go to bed early. I'm not really a morning person either. But I've been able to stick with this for 5 months now, and I work LATE. Routine is key.

During the weekends, I study 4-5 hours per day. I have 3 weeks off before the June LSAT to crunch full time though.

It may not be the best approach for you, but this is a suggestion.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 pm

I actually studied at work when I had all of my necessary work done (I had an online program I was using).

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:58 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Max324 wrote:A recent thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=178815

OP from that topic, the biggest thing I took away was to give yourself some time. I find some days I can't wait to get home and get at my prep materials (usually when I'm doing games), and other days I can't even think about it (RC). On the latter days, take an hour and just watch some TV, play a video game, cook something, whittle, practice juggling, listen to music, or just sit motionless staring at the wall.

On the prep class days this might not be an option, but the classroom environment (and the drive over there) should give you some time to decompress.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Max324 wrote:A recent thread on this topic: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=178815

On the prep class days this might not be an option, but the classroom environment (and the drive over there) should give you some time to decompress.

Whoops I missed that bit about taking a course.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:49 am

The whole reboot your brain thing is critical

doclover

Postby doclover » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 am

OP, I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can certainly commiserate with you... not an easy balance. I guess if you really care about something then you make it happen - that's what I keep telling myself.

I also keep a log of hours studied - keeps me accountable.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

It definitely sucked.

After getting home from work I would take a few hours for dinner/mindless TV/exercise before I started.

Also, I made sure that I squeezed in timed PTs on Sat. and Sun. mornings.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm working on my study schedule for now until June tonight. I'm planning to start getting to work an hour early and study in my office daily. That way even if I'm exhausted or stressed out after work, I will have at least accomplished something. However, I think I will still need to put in a couple hours after work 3-4 days a week. I'm going to save full-length practice tests for the weekend. My goal is to spend 25-30 hours a week studying, and I think it's doable.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”