LSAT iPhone Apps

gobosox
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby gobosox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I thought about looking through some apps on the app store and saw a few LSAT-related applications but figured I'd ask if anyone here had used one for their iPhone and if they had any suggestions.

Not a primary way to study, obviously, but something that piqued my interest as an easy way to knock out some LR problems when you're sitting somewhere for a 10 minutes without any books... Though not sure how I'd do LG or RC on an iPhone.......

hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby hooma » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm

I used Benchprep (it was free at the time, although I don't think it is anymore). The questions weren't real lsat questions and, you're right, it was impossible to do RC or LG on my phone. But for LR it was a good way to spend 10 minutes at a time on the train.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 pm

I didnt find any worth it. Your time is best spent on real prep materials, whether it be bundles of LR questions/RC passages/Logic games.

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Geetar Man wrote:I didnt find any worth it. Your time is best spent on real prep materials, whether it be bundles of LR questions/RC passages/Logic games.


+1

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Systematic1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:37 am

Last week I downloaded "LSAT # by Arcadia Prep, Inc." If you just want something to keep you fresh, it's not too bad. It has a bunch of free sample questions you can play around with, and I think you can buy additional questions and the most recent LSAT tests. Nothing out of this world though. :wink: :wink:

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:49 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:I didnt find any worth it. Your time is best spent on real prep materials, whether it be bundles of LR questions/RC passages/Logic games.


+1


+989783457346587

Trying to prep for the LSAT on an iPhone or iPad is a giant waste of time. It may also lead to needing to see an eye doctor due to symptoms caused by trying to read the questions on the small screen, including eye strain and headaches. It may also lead to car accidents from prepping while driving, anger when bill comes in the mail for bandwidth usage, loss of friends because you are not texting or talking to them when out and about, etc.

Using an iPhone app certainly won't help you get in shape for performing well on test day under officially proctored conditions.

There are bunch of LSAT prep iPhone apps available for a couple of bucks and a few free ones, but most of them use fake questions. There is one that supposedly provides you with a video prep course and access to all available real LSAT questions/PrepTests that launched late last year. I'm not positive, but I don't think it lets you print out the tests on paper. I'm pretty sure it doesn't and you can only take them on your iphone/iPad.

I laughed my arse off when the dudes behind it spammed about it here and on the other main LSAT study boards. At first they wanted $999.99 for the app. In a number of news articles it got ranked as one of the top 10 most expensive iPhone/iPad apps of all time. lol
After that they lowered the price to $499.99

Just prep the 'old fashioned' way. Pencil and paper. If you want to work in some prep time while on the go, take a test or a couple of pages of questions with you along with a pencil or two. Fold the paper up and put it in your pocket, put it into a backpack, folder, purse, etc.

The LSAT is much more friendly on paper, plus it doesn't drain your phone battery or run up your cell phone monthly bill. It does not like cell phones, as you will notice on test day in an unpleasant way if you bring one to the test center.

User avatar
shoulinpandas
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 am

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby shoulinpandas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:14 am

:D
Last edited by shoulinpandas on Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:57 am

shoulinpandas wrote:LSAT tool kit $15.99 i think its by gmat

all real lsat Qs

perfect for on the go, waiting rooms, bad dates, night time reading, gaming, LR

def beats words w/ friends


lol

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 am

Br3v wrote:
shoulinpandas wrote:LSAT tool kit $15.99 i think its by gmat

all real lsat Qs

perfect for on the go, waiting rooms, bad dates, night time reading, gaming, LR

def beats words w/ friends


lol


This guy can't be fucking serious about his posts. I can't take him seriously. Troll is an obvious troll.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:07 am

Geetar Man wrote:
Br3v wrote:
shoulinpandas wrote:LSAT tool kit $15.99 i think its by gmat

all real lsat Qs

perfect for on the go, waiting rooms, bad dates, night time reading, gaming, LR

def beats words w/ friends


lol


This guy can't be fucking serious about his posts. I can't take him seriously. Troll is an obvious troll.


The juxtaposition between writing styles in this and his thread is noteworthy.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 am

Br3v wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
Br3v wrote:
shoulinpandas wrote:LSAT tool kit $15.99 i think its by gmat

all real lsat Qs

perfect for on the go, waiting rooms, bad dates, night time reading, gaming, LR

def beats words w/ friends


lol


This guy can't be fucking serious about his posts. I can't take him seriously. Troll is an obvious troll.


The juxtaposition between writing styles in this and his thread is noteworthy.


Jaeger wrote:Please, for the love of God, work on your writing skills too. It's like reading a contact drunk 14 year old cheerleader.


Now it makes sense. iPhones tend to make a lot of people come across as contact drunk 14 year old cheerleaders. I just really hope this is how he actually speaks and Siri did a bang up job of transcribing it.

EDIT: his comments in this thread came after he created his thread. Maybe he actually took what Jaeger said to heart?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby 03152016 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:55 am

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:23 am

Max324 wrote:
I have Cambridge LSAT LR/LG/RC bundles, a few dozen PTs, the LRB/LGB, and Kaplan test explanations, all in PDF format.



Admitting that you pirated copyright protected materials in a public online forum is a great way to demonstrate your ethics as well as how good of an attorney you will be able to be when it comes to keeping legally required confidences, especially about privileged things clients tell you.

If you were my atty (especially in a criminal matter), would I trust that you would adhere to attorney client privilege and tell you everything with the expectation that whatever I told you would stay secret? Image

Seriously dude, you just admitted to a crime. The LRB and LGB are not legitimately available in PDF form. I know, torrents and 'everyone is doing it' yada yada yada.

This goes for you and everyone else. Don't complain when LSAC keeps raising the fees for everything and when law school tuition keeps going up. In case people don't know, LSAC is partially/largely funded by the ABA law schools they serve/that are part of the law school admissions council (LSAC).

All law schools approved by the American Bar Association are LSAC members.
More than 200 law schools in the United States, Canada, and Australia are members of the Council.

Just thought I would point that out.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby 03152016 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:33 am

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:34 am

Jeffort wrote:
Max324 wrote:
I have Cambridge LSAT LR/LG/RC bundles, a few dozen PTs, the LRB/LGB, and Kaplan test explanations, all in PDF format.



Admitting that you pirated copyright protected materials in a public online forum is a great way to demonstrate your ethics as well as how good of an attorney you will be able to be when it comes to keeping legally required confidences, especially about privileged things clients tell you.

If you were my atty (especially in a criminal matter), would I trust that you would adhere to attorney client privilege and tell you everything with the expectation that whatever I told you would stay secret? Image

Seriously dude, you just admitted to a crime. The LRB and LGB are not legitimately available in PDF form. I know, torrents and 'everyone is doing it' yada yada yada.

This goes for you and everyone else. Don't complain when LSAC keeps raising the fees for everything and when law school tuition keeps going up. In case people don't know, LSAC is partially/largely funded by the ABA law schools they serve/that are part of the law school admissions council (LSAC).

All law schools approved by the American Bar Association are LSAC members.
More than 200 law schools in the United States, Canada, and Australia are members of the Council.

Just thought I would point that out.


I know it's probably unlikely, but what if he converted them to PDF himself? Are there terms prohibiting that if it's just for private use? It seems like a ridiculous amount of work, but not if he just scanned the sections he needed to work on.

EDIT: scooped, by a crazy huge jpeg

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:39 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Now it makes sense. iPhones tend to make a lot of people come across as contact drunk 14 year old cheerleaders. I just really hope this is how he actually speaks and Siri did a bang up job of transcribing it.



IDK, you might be correct.

Siri was one of the last 'great' dumbing down the people of the world tools Mr. Jobs left behind that IMHO continues destroying the English language by removing the need and incentives for younger people to put in the effort to actually learn English grammar/vocabulary and how to write a complete sentence.

Why learn how to do it if your phone will do it for you? Thanks a pantload Steve. :(

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 am

Jeffort wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Now it makes sense. iPhones tend to make a lot of people come across as contact drunk 14 year old cheerleaders. I just really hope this is how he actually speaks and Siri did a bang up job of transcribing it.



IDK, you might be correct.

Siri was one of the last 'great' dumbing down the people of the world tools Mr. Jobs left behind that IMHO continues destroying the English language by removing the need and incentives for younger people to put in the effort to actually learn English grammar/vocabulary and how to write a complete sentence.

Why learn how to do it if your phone will do it for you? Thanks a pantload Steve. :(


He also played a huge hand in allowing you to be sitting down at your house and write that...............

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 am

Max324 wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
Max324 wrote:
I have Cambridge LSAT LR/LG/RC bundles, a few dozen PTs, the LRB/LGB, and Kaplan test explanations, all in PDF format.



Admitting that you pirated copyright protected materials in a public online forum is a great way to demonstrate your ethics as well as how good of an attorney you will be able to be when it comes to keeping legally required confidences, especially about privileged things clients tell you.

If you were my atty (especially in a criminal matter), would I trust that you would adhere to attorney client privilege and tell you everything with the expectation that whatever I told you would stay secret? Image

Seriously dude, you just admitted to a crime. The LRB and LGB are not legitimately available in PDF form. I know, torrents and 'everyone is doing it' yada yada yada.

This goes for you and everyone else. Don't complain when LSAC keeps raising the fees for everything and when law school tuition keeps going up. In case people don't know, LSAC is partially/largely funded by the ABA law schools they serve/that are part of the law school admissions council (LSAC).

All law schools approved by the American Bar Association are LSAC members.
More than 200 law schools in the United States, Canada, and Australia are members of the Council.

Just thought I would point that out.

Wrong, scanned from hard copies.
Image
Nice try though.


Alright Max, I'll just let my condescension apply to others that read this that might be tempted to just grab the files from the torrents.

I have to ask though. Why did you spend a ton of time scanning those two books into pdf files? It's almost 950 pages. That had to be a royal pain and have taken a long time to do.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby 03152016 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:54 am

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:56 am

Br3v wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Now it makes sense. iPhones tend to make a lot of people come across as contact drunk 14 year old cheerleaders. I just really hope this is how he actually speaks and Siri did a bang up job of transcribing it.



IDK, you might be correct.

Siri was one of the last 'great' dumbing down the people of the world tools Mr. Jobs left behind that IMHO continues destroying the English language by removing the need and incentives for younger people to put in the effort to actually learn English grammar/vocabulary and how to write a complete sentence.

Why learn how to do it if your phone will do it for you? Thanks a pantload Steve. :(


He also played a huge hand in allowing you to be sitting down at your house and write that...............


No he didn't.

I've never owned an apple product. Only played a few video games on a friends apple I, then later an Apple II when I was in grade school, had a commodore an Atari, a modem and was doing online stuff on BBSs while Apple was a garage operation struggling to design and manufacture something they could sell and make $$ off of.

Steve Jobs was a great business man, but he certainly did not invent or pioneer any of the stuff that is the foundation of currently available technology. He commercialized the inventions of others into consumer products, created a brand, and successfully marketed them for a profit.

Apple almost went out of business many times over the last 30+ years. They only became super profitable and a well known giant after they came out with the iPod. Once the cash flowed in they were able to design and produce more products using new hardware technologies developed by others as it evolved.
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:07 am

.
Last edited by alwayssunnyinfl on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Jeffort » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Now it makes sense. iPhones tend to make a lot of people come across as contact drunk 14 year old cheerleaders. I just really hope this is how he actually speaks and Siri did a bang up job of transcribing it.



IDK, you might be correct.

Siri was one of the last 'great' dumbing down the people of the world tools Mr. Jobs left behind that IMHO continues destroying the English language by removing the need and incentives for younger people to put in the effort to actually learn English grammar/vocabulary and how to write a complete sentence.

Why learn how to do it if your phone will do it for you? Thanks a pantload Steve. :(


I don't know, I think this may just be an example of someone not using the technology correctly. I absolutely hate typing out anything longer than a few lines on my phone because I'm a stickler for formatting and grammar. Plus, predictive autocorrections are generally more of a nuisance than a help (here's looking at you, Swype!). Some people find it acceptable to use shorthand, useless slang, and leftovers from the days of T9 when posting in public spaces (really, with that super responsive, hi-res screen you find it more difficult to type "later" as opposed to "l8er"?) I don't, but that's because I would rather wait to find wifi and post using my laptop than cringe at some mangled garbage with my name on it. Sure, technology might be contributing to people approaching the written language in a more casual manner, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't still write in full sentences when it's needed. People were bad at grammar and writing before computers, and they'll continue to be bad at it after computers.

However, I find Siri completely ridiculous. Voice recognition software has been around for quite a while. I remember toying around with a voice recognition program back in fifth grade, and the accuracy is still frustratingly bad today. Why is it so amazing to people that they just took that technology and applied it to a really convoluted Google search?


My thoughts are pretty much the same.

VR is a neat gimmick, but is still very quirky.

One of my complaints about its widespread commercialization and use in consumer products and being held out as some great thing that will make lives easier and better is that it seems to be driving people away from interpersonal communication and interaction.

A TV commercial for a car (not sure which one) that played for a while recently featured a guy driving somewhere that was running late to meet up with his wife or something like that. He used the auto VM go-between thing and said something like 'Call wife, tell her I'm running late', the thing called the wifes' phone, conveyed the message, wife had her thing call him and convey a message, they pulled into a driveway and everyone was smiling. I wasn't though.

My thought every time I saw the commercial was, Dude, call your frigging wife and talk to her and tell her yourself with your voice. Tell the device to connect you to her and have a human voice convo with the woman you love that bore your children!

I believe that many people are using VR, VMs and TxT messaging to hide things from others. You can tell a lot of things by the inflection of ones voice in a live conversation that can easily be masked by TxT and/or some tech go between.

Auto-correct is useful at times (such as for google searches), but also very damaging due to how it frequently butchers words in conversations. I've noticed that even here on TLS that what I typed out and proofread before hitting submit is not always the same as what is posted.

VR software is just a neat gimmick that is no substitute for human voice communication.

In terms of all these tools damaging or not damaging the grammar and vocabulary skills of the iGeneration, I believe it is clearly creating more harm than good. I've been teaching and tutoring people and doing other professional work that depends in large part on writing and reading for well over a decade. I've noticed a big negative difference in the reading and writing skills of younger students in the last three to five years as compared to years before.

But don't get me wrong, I do have fun with VR iPhone/smart phone stuff. When I go out to a party, a public place, restaurant, wherever there are people around, when there is somebody being really annoying/obnoxious I just walk near them and say things out loud like 'Call Mom', 'Call boyfriend', 'Call girlfriend', 'Call work' and other stuff along those lines when I walk by! It usually gets their phone to call and I get a good laugh as I watch. Good times!

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 am

Jeffort wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Now it makes sense. iPhones tend to make a lot of people come across as contact drunk 14 year old cheerleaders. I just really hope this is how he actually speaks and Siri did a bang up job of transcribing it.



IDK, you might be correct.

Siri was one of the last 'great' dumbing down the people of the world tools Mr. Jobs left behind that IMHO continues destroying the English language by removing the need and incentives for younger people to put in the effort to actually learn English grammar/vocabulary and how to write a complete sentence.

Why learn how to do it if your phone will do it for you? Thanks a pantload Steve. :(


He also played a huge hand in allowing you to be sitting down at your house and write that...............


No he didn't.

I've never owned an apple product. Only played a few video games on a friends apple I, then later an Apple II when I was in grade school, had a commodore an Atari, a modem and was doing online stuff on BBSs while Apple was a garage operation struggling to design and manufacture something they could sell and make $$ off of.

Steve Jobs was a great business man, but he certainly did not invent or pioneer any of the stuff that is the foundation of currently available technology. He commercialized the inventions of others into consumer products, created a brand, and successfully marketed them for a profit.

Apple almost went out of business many times over the last 30+ years. They only became super profitable and a well known giant after they came out with the iPod. Once the cash flowed in they were able to design and produce more products using new hardware technologies developed by others as it evolved.



That and, I don't know, revolutionized the personal computer.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby LexLeon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Jeffort wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:I didnt find any worth it. Your time is best spent on real prep materials, whether it be bundles of LR questions/RC passages/Logic games.


+1


+989783457346587

Trying to prep for the LSAT on an iPhone or iPad is a giant waste of time. It may also lead to needing to see an eye doctor due to symptoms caused by trying to read the questions on the small screen, including eye strain and headaches. It may also lead to car accidents from prepping while driving, anger when bill comes in the mail for bandwidth usage, loss of friends because you are not texting or talking to them when out and about, etc.

A) Appeals to propositions, that are tangential and themselves unsupported, in an attempt to bolster its conclusion.

Using an iPhone app certainly won't help you get in shape for performing well on test day under officially proctored conditions.

B) Expresses an unwarranted amount of certainty in its conclusion.


LSutton721
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: LSAT iPhone Apps

Postby LSutton721 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 pm

No apps that I know of that are effective. Why would you be studying for LSAT with iPhone when you could be playing Drawing with Freinds :lol:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GioChanturia and 8 guests