Should I take the June LSAT

kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Should I take the June LSAT

Postby kckool7 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster, and I will likely be around these parts for the next cycle quite a bit. So my question is should I take the June LSAT?

I took the LSAT when considering law school 2 cycles ago, but ended up with a disappointing score, 167, largely because I didn't prep nearly as much as I should have. (I took maybe 7-8 practice tests, but didn't really think about any methods or anything; needless to say LG kicked my behind.) I'm a 2011 college grad from a t50 LAC with a 3.3 gpa. I want to go to a lower end T14 (GULC would be a dream come true). I think I can reasonably expect to raise my score to a 173 if I put in 250 hrs of concentrated study.

So, should I take the June LSAT, sorta cramming my prep process since I won't finish my current very ft job until late April, or would it be better to take a much longer time to prep completely and prepare for the Oct LSAT? How big of a dea is it to submit your app in late Oct or early Nov, instead of 9/1? Would this preclude me from applying ED to either UVA or GULC? Could I send in all of my apps anyway on 9/1 and update with an Oct LSAT when that score gets out, or is that stupid?

Thank you so much, I'm sure we'll see plenty of each other over the next year! :)

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd plan for a June retake. Worse that can happen is you take it in October as well. With a score that high so early in your prep, I think you'd be ready in June.

October administration will still give you time to apply to schools early in their cycle as long as the rest of your app is ready to go by the time you get your score.

You could send in your apps early and have the schools wait on your LSAT score, but I doubt it will matter too much.

Good luck!

hookem12
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 am

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby hookem12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Honestly, I would take the June test, and then see if an October retake is necessary. It's early enough that you can cram in a fair amount of prep (and if LG is your weakness, you can turn that around in just a few weeks). Putting all your eggs in one basket for the October test would add pressure, and if something went really wrong, you'd have to squeeze in the December LSAT, and no one wants to do that. You should be absolutely fine applying in October or November - that's not considered late at all.

Good luck!

LSutton721
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby LSutton721 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Just take it in June. Be productive with your time and you should be fine.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:22 pm

kckool7 wrote:I think I can reasonably expect to raise my score to a 173 if I put in 250 hrs of concentrated study.


You should be able to get much higher with that much concentrated study and a starting point of 167. Heck, I have students in my class who get that score coming from a 150 in less time.

In short, take June, because you should be at 173+ average by then, assuming you study properly.

User avatar
Dan Millman
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby Dan Millman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Prep as long as you can, why not get the highest score you can get? Don't limit yourself. As for the deadlines, get the app in as early as possible because it will give you a better shot at acceptance, again why limit yourself? Eliminate every disadvantage by capitalizing on every potential advantage. If you don't, you will be setting yourself up for less than you deserve.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm wondering the same myself. I started prepping about 2 weeks ago, although I haven't prepped as much as I'd like. I took my first full-length diagnostic last weekend and got a 155. I am worried I won't have enough time to fully prep before the June LSAT, but I don't want to "put all my eggs in one basket" for October.

I'm worried I probably can't go from a 155 (my first time ever taking the LSAT under any condition) to a 170+ in time for the June LSAT. What do you guys think?

I think realistically I could get above a 170 with enough prep. Is it true you can apply early everywhere with an October test?

Here's another question: if I apply somewhere early with my June LSAT, and then retook it in October and got a higher score, would I be able to re-apply with the new score?

Also, how does this work with sending applications to colleges before you have received your LSAT? My biggest worry with that is that you will get a score lower than you would have expected. In that case, the answer to my question about if you can re-apply with a higher LSAT in the future is rather important given this situation.

Anyways, I'll probably have more questions later. I'm hoping to study LR for a few hours tonight.

At the moment I'm doing one of the three sections a night, switching off every night. I might need to try out the pithypikes method soon, although I haven't really taken a close look at it yet.

One thing I find annoying about some of the methods out there is that they seem to focus almost completely on the LG section (which, granted, I do really need to learn, since I have no idea how to graph these things). I'm wondering if maybe I should focus on that first or something?

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I didn't want to make a new thread for something that's related to this one.

Anyways, TLS, you are the best goddamn resource out there. Love this forum!

Alan
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby Alan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:03 pm

kckool7 wrote:
I took the LSAT when considering law school 2 cycles ago, but ended up with a disappointing score, 167, largely because I didn't prep nearly as much as I should have.


Characterizing a 167, the 95th percentile, as a disappointing score is laughable. Sounds like you are subtlety bragging.

"I got a 167 and didnt even try my hardest, now Im going to try." A 167 is not a disappointing score, your lack of effort the first time around is the disappointment.

How about instead of being disappointed with that score, be thankful you have the raw ability to score that high with a half assed effort.

Sorry im just mad cause I scored a 167, too. Except I actually tried, so Im a little jealous.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby t14fanboy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Take June so that if need be you can take October. And no October scores would not preclude you from EDing UVa or GULC.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Are there any schools that have ED programs that preclude you from applying with an October score? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that at least one school required June LSAT scores for one to apply ED.

Now that I think about this, though, it seems that applying ED (as opposed to just early in the cycle) isn't really a big deal, since a lot say that it doesn't even help you very much if your numbers are right on the line, and that sometimes it even makes the admissions board look for people with even higher numbers since they have a smaller number of applicants to look at.

So as a whole, you guys think that it's best to take the test in both June and October, instead of just waiting for the October one? I'm going to study my ass off prior to June, but I'm just worried that 2.5 months isn't enough time to fully prepare. But I guess I can take the June one and then just continue studying, and if I keep PTing higher, then I will take the test again in October, netting me a higher score. My issue with using this strategy is that it hurts my average score, which is what some of the schools look at.

Is it worth holding off on the June LSAT because of the average scoring policy used by some of the T14?

As a side note, my GPA is a 3.73 and I'm looking to get into a school that will get me NYC placement (Columbia, NYU, U Penn, Cornell, or the link. My reach school is Harvard, since some people on TLS think that this is the most possible for me of HYS).

Today I'm working on reading the RC Bible. I'm going to go through all three of these books before I start PTing seriously. I took an initial diagnostic last weekend (timed) of 155. So this gives an idea of where I'm at. I haven't ever taken a full-length LSAT before that, and I hadn't even really done any sections of the LSAT before that.

kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby kckool7 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have another question; how exactly does the process of "updating" schools on new LSATs work? For example, let's say I took the June LSAT and got a 171. Then I applied everywhere on 9/1 except for the schools I'd singled out for an ED "progression". (IE: ED UVA, if that doesn't work, ED Penn, if that doesn't work, ED GULC...) Now say I wanted to update those schools with my October score when I got it. Is there a danger that they'll have already rendered their decision, and my October score, let's say it's a 175, doesn't matter?

Thanks again, you've all been very helpful. And sorry if anyone took this as a "brag", I'm disappointed because I didn't prep the way I should have and it led to a score that wasn't good enough for me to get into the schools I would like to attend.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:27 pm

kckool7 wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses! I have another question; how exactly does the process of "updating" schools on new LSATs work? For example, let's say I took the June LSAT and got a 171. Then I applied everywhere on 9/1 except for the schools I'd singled out for an ED "progression". (IE: ED UVA, if that doesn't work, ED Penn, if that doesn't work, ED GULC...) Now say I wanted to update those schools with my October score when I got it. Is there a danger that they'll have already rendered their decision, and my October score, let's say it's a 175, doesn't matter?

Thanks again, you've all been very helpful. And sorry if anyone took this as a "brag", I'm disappointed because I didn't prep the way I should have and it led to a score that wasn't good enough for me to get into the schools I would like to attend.


I'm interested in the answer to this question too.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby bp shinners » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:10 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
kckool7 wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses! I have another question; how exactly does the process of "updating" schools on new LSATs work? For example, let's say I took the June LSAT and got a 171. Then I applied everywhere on 9/1 except for the schools I'd singled out for an ED "progression". (IE: ED UVA, if that doesn't work, ED Penn, if that doesn't work, ED GULC...) Now say I wanted to update those schools with my October score when I got it. Is there a danger that they'll have already rendered their decision, and my October score, let's say it's a 175, doesn't matter?

Thanks again, you've all been very helpful. And sorry if anyone took this as a "brag", I'm disappointed because I didn't prep the way I should have and it led to a score that wasn't good enough for me to get into the schools I would like to attend.


I'm interested in the answer to this question too.


When you register for the exam in October, the LSAC puts that information into your account. There's a place on the applications to say whether you want the school to render a decision with that score (i.e. wait for it) or without it (i.e. just go with what you already have). If you click the former, they'll put you in a pile and you'll go complete when that score is released. If you don't, then they'll put it in the pile and consider you when they get to everyone in front of you in line.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:55 pm

bp shinners wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:
kckool7 wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses! I have another question; how exactly does the process of "updating" schools on new LSATs work? For example, let's say I took the June LSAT and got a 171. Then I applied everywhere on 9/1 except for the schools I'd singled out for an ED "progression". (IE: ED UVA, if that doesn't work, ED Penn, if that doesn't work, ED GULC...) Now say I wanted to update those schools with my October score when I got it. Is there a danger that they'll have already rendered their decision, and my October score, let's say it's a 175, doesn't matter?

Thanks again, you've all been very helpful. And sorry if anyone took this as a "brag", I'm disappointed because I didn't prep the way I should have and it led to a score that wasn't good enough for me to get into the schools I would like to attend.


I'm interested in the answer to this question too.


When you register for the exam in October, the Ministry of Love puts that information into your account. There's a place on the applications to say whether you want the school to render a decision with that score (i.e. wait for it) or without it (i.e. just go with what you already have). If you click the former, they'll put you in a pile and you'll go complete when that score is released. If you don't, then they'll put it in the pile and consider you when they get to everyone in front of you in line.


Nice 1984 reference! I'm assuming if you have a slightly lower October score and you checked to have both your scores looked at by the schools you applied to, this won't hurt you too bad?

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I'm assuming if you have a slightly lower October score and you checked to have both your scores looked at by the schools you applied to, this won't hurt you too bad?


It'll push your application completion time down, but waiting until ~Halloween won't be that big of a deal. Other than that, most schools take the highest, some average (there's a list floating around TLS of stated policies). A few points won't disqualify you if you were going to be admitted based on the first score.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm

bp shinners wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I'm assuming if you have a slightly lower October score and you checked to have both your scores looked at by the schools you applied to, this won't hurt you too bad?


It'll push your application completion time down, but waiting until ~Halloween won't be that big of a deal. Other than that, most schools take the highest, some average (there's a list floating around TLS of stated policies). A few points won't disqualify you if you were going to be admitted based on the first score.


So you're saying don't apply until you get your October scores back? Sorry if I misunderstood. My brain is frazzled here at work.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 pm

We are in similar boats, GPA and LSAT score wise., except I've already taken the LSAT twice so this is my last hope. I'm going to try to push for june, but if I'm not scoring 174+ consistently by the end of the month, I'll hold off until October.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:We are in similar boats, GPA and LSAT score wise., except I've already taken the LSAT twice so this is my last hope. I'm going to try to push for june, but if I'm not scoring 174+ consistently by the end of the month, I'll hold off until October.


You have ~ my same GPA or the OPs?

Yeah, I'm feeling about the same. If I'm not scoring at least 170ish by the beginning of May, I won't sign up for June. But then again, like people said, this way if I blow October, I will still have A June score to work off of. Ugh, I wish they didn't have this test only a few times a year.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:42 am

echamberlin8 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I'm assuming if you have a slightly lower October score and you checked to have both your scores looked at by the schools you applied to, this won't hurt you too bad?


It'll push your application completion time down, but waiting until ~Halloween won't be that big of a deal. Other than that, most schools take the highest, some average (there's a list floating around TLS of stated policies). A few points won't disqualify you if you were going to be admitted based on the first score.


So you're saying don't apply until you get your October scores back? Sorry if I misunderstood. My brain is frazzled here at work.


If you don't think you're going to do better on October, apply early. If you think there's a chance October will be higher, wait until it comes out.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Should I take the June LSAT

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

bp shinners wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I'm assuming if you have a slightly lower October score and you checked to have both your scores looked at by the schools you applied to, this won't hurt you too bad?


It'll push your application completion time down, but waiting until ~Halloween won't be that big of a deal. Other than that, most schools take the highest, some average (there's a list floating around TLS of stated policies). A few points won't disqualify you if you were going to be admitted based on the first score.


So you're saying don't apply until you get your October scores back? Sorry if I misunderstood. My brain is frazzled here at work.


If you don't think you're going to do better on October, apply early. If you think there's a chance October will be higher, wait until it comes out.


Alright, thanks for the advice. If I'm not score 169+ by the beginning of May, I definitely won't sign up for the June test.

My biggest problem, predictably, are the logic games. I'm having trouble figuring out all of the inferences after I diagram the problem. I'm not bad at diagramming, but I often have a hard time coming up with all of the inferences based off the diagram/rules. I'm still on the Linear Games section of the Logic Games Bible.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dj9i27, Instrumental, Scherbatsky, SunDevil14, Vino.Veritas and 9 guests