Question about the word "consume"

superhedy2011

Question about the word "consume"

Postby superhedy2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:49 am

Hey guys, I'm not a native speaker. Can anyone help me to understand the word "consume" in the following sentence?

"Problems caused by dehydration are invariably exacerbated if substances that delay muscle fatigue are consumed."

Does it mean "used out" or "eaten or taken into the body" here?

I'm always confused with the word "consume". For example, someone doesn't consume too much energy, means he does not take/eat much food/energy from outside the body or he does not, for example, run much to consume his energy?

Thanks for the help!

Mr. Pancakes

Re: Question about the word "consume"

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:01 am

superhedy2011 wrote:"eaten or taken into the body"

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 am

Consume, in laymans terms in the settings provided could be said to mean "to use". I consumed my sandwich (I used some of it by eating it). Certainly not airtight or a proper definition, but maybe it will help you understand the meaning.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 am

Consumed is probably going to mean eaten whenever food or drink are involved, in most cases. Typically, when speaking of things that are not eaten, when a person consumes them, that means they purchased them. In that situation, they called a consumer.

I would guess that you are unlikely to see the word consume used with the meaning "to use up" but if you do, it will probably be a metaphorical use.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am

It worries me that op had a tough time figuring out what they meant here.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am

Linguistics question.

Calling SehMeSerious.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Samara wrote:Consumed is probably going to mean eaten whenever food or drink are involved, in most cases. Typically, when speaking of things that are not eaten, when a person consumes them, that means they purchased them. In that situation, they called a consumer.

I would guess that you are unlikely to see the word consume used with the meaning "to use up" but if you do, it will probably be a metaphorical use.

I had economics in mind when I said that and think it applies to your example. When a consumer consumes a good, they are using it in the sense that no one else can use that good (buy) now.

But OP ignore this post as it will probably just confuse you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”