volp

Postby volp » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Last edited by volp on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: Should I get a tutor? Break the plateau...

Postby Clearly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 am

I would drill RC by question type until you find out what seems to be bothering you. RC tends to be most high scorers least consistent section (if even only by +-1). LR should be solid at a high level. Look for patterns. Do you get 3 of the last 5 wrong? Do you usually only get parallel reasoning wrong? Drill it till it's -1,2 then work on refining the rest.

bp shinners

Re: Should I get a tutor? Break the plateau...

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Shifting from 165 to 170 can be tough, and is usually the hardest plateau because it involves a shift in what you should review.

At that point, you know why stuff is right and why other stuff is wrong. What you don't yet understand is how the writers of the LSAT will trick you into picking the wrong answer even though you understand what the right answer should look like.

At this point, it's important to start reviewing not only the logic of the questions, but also how they 'tricked' you. This will show you the lapses in your analytical abilities that the LSAT is famous for preying on.

To do this, follow up your review of each question by answering the following 2 questions:
1) What about my wrong answer did I think made it right?
2) What about the right answer made me think it was wrong?

If you really analyze how they tricked you, you'll start to notice patterns to your logical lapses. While you might be getting a variety of question types wrong, I guarantee you that it's only 2-3 things that you keep getting tricked by. Maybe you're equivocating between like terms. Maybe you're not analyzing the force of certain words that need to be analyzed (most/some/all are easy to analyze the strength of, but other words carry logical force as well, such as 'independent').

If you start to notice the patterns in how they trick you, you'll stop getting tricked.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”