20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:41 pm

It stated:

People who enjoy comedians who display disrespect in their acts do place a high value on respect for others.

If you negate that, it would contradict the first premise, correct?

If not, is it due to the ambiguity of the term people? Does people imply each and every person or does it constitute a majority of all people?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:43 pm

If you do not place a high value of respect fir others you do not enjoy comedians who dismay disrespect in their acts

-does not include all ppl

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't understand where you constructed that conditional statement from?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Woah at my typos lol but it's simple form granted I interjected "you"

If x > y
If not y > not x


If not x> y
If not y > x


If x > not y
If y > not x


If not x > not y
If y > x

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:54 pm

People who enjoy comedians who display disrespect in their acts do place a high value on respect for others.

To negate this:

People who enjoy comedians who display disrespect in their acts do not place a high value on respect for others.

And if we were to have this in the argument, the argument collapses.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:57 pm

CREATION wrote:People who enjoy comedians who display disrespect in their acts do place a high value on respect for others.

To negate this:

People who enjoy comedians who display disrespect in their acts do not place a high value on respect for others.

And if we were to have this in the argument, the argument collapses.



You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Br3v wrote:
You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both


I am not negating incorrectly.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:00 pm

X= people who enjoy comedians who display disrespect

y= place a high value on respect for others

If x > y
If not y > not x

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:01 pm

CREATION wrote:
Br3v wrote:
You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both


I am not negating incorrectly.


Ok then stop asking and carry on

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby suspicious android » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Br3v wrote:You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both


That's not the way to negate a conditional, you're showing the contra positive.

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Br3v wrote:

You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both

And to make matters worse, you are the one negating incorrectly. To negate a conditional statement, for example, A -> B You would not do what you are suggesting.

You would state even if A, not necessarily B.

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Br3v wrote:
CREATION wrote:
Br3v wrote:
You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both


I am not negating incorrectly.


Ok then stop asking and carry on

Don't contribute to an LSAT prep forum with bad advice. I will call you out when you are dead wrong.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby Br3v » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:06 pm

CREATION wrote:
Br3v wrote:
CREATION wrote:
Br3v wrote:
You are negating incorrectly.

If x > not y
Negated: if y > not x

Flip and negate both


I am not negating incorrectly.


Ok then stop asking and carry on

Don't contribute to an LSAT prep forum with bad advice. I will call you out when you are dead wrong.


If you contribute to an LSAT prep forum with bad advice, then I will call you out

If I do not call you out, you did not contribute to an LSAT prep forum with bad advice

Hope this helps

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm

I do not understand why you are ruining my thread by showing that you can use contrapositives. Do you not know what the negation technique is?

I would like for someone to confirm for me in my original post whether that would be a necessary assumption, with the rewording of A.

User avatar
SaintsTheMetal
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 am

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 am

Br3v wrote:X= people who enjoy comedians who display disrespect

y= place a high value on respect for others

If x > y
If not y > not x


You are wrong.
negation != contrapositive

Creation's negation is correct.. although he has the same issue I did when I tried using the negation thing to test answers... sometimes the wording in a negation is very ambiguous and, personally, tends to be less helpful than the original statement

Just to be clear... the statement in your OP IS the negative... because answer choice A is: "People who enjoy comedians who display disrespect in their acts do not place a high value on respect for others." I can't tell if that was just a typo in your OP or if that was your confusion... Answer Choice A is pretty much a contradiction of the first sentence so cannot be true.

CREATION
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: 20-4-1 Would A be correct if....

Postby CREATION » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 am

Yes i understand that in its current form, answer choice A is not a necessary assumption. My question is what if we were given answer choice a in its negated form as an answer choice. As you stated, if we did not have that, it would contradict the stimulus. Isnt it necessary that people hold respect for others and enjoy the specified comedy?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests