My LG fear

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

My LG fear

Postby Clearly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 am

I've managed to get myself pretty decent at LG preparing for my June retake, and LG has always been my flaw. I'm consistently -1 in LR, and -1,2 in RC (and improving!) I hate you people that 100% every LG section, as I'd be golden if I could do that. Instead I usually went -5-7 in each section. I've gotten much more comfortable with LG, and usually hit 85-95% at this point. I'm continuing to see improvement, but always end up with a whole ten min left for that "Hard, last game" that I always seem to hit on every test and kills me. I'm getting better and working towards being one of you "LG is easy bro" people. I've started having this thought that I'm gonna be in the next group of kids to get fucked by the impossible game that appears every so often. I'd like to think by June I should be able to 100% you're 'average' LG section. But wtf happens if I get the next snakes and lizards, zepher airlines, dinosaurs or that absurd mixing 4 colors in beakers game. I'd basically be exactly where I started, minus 5-7.

Btw, this wasn't so much a question as a venting session. Thanks.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: My LG fear

Postby josh43299 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:59 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I've managed to get myself pretty decent at LG preparing for my June retake, and LG has always been my flaw. I'm consistently -1 in LR, and -1,2 in RC (and improving!) I hate you people that 100% every LG section, as I'd be golden if I could do that. Instead I usually went -5-7 in each section. I've gotten much more comfortable with LG, and usually hit 85-95% at this point. I'm continuing to see improvement, but always end up with a whole ten min left for that "Hard, last game" that I always seem to hit on every test and kills me. I'm getting better and working towards being one of you "LG is easy bro" people. I've started having this thought that I'm gonna be in the next group of kids to get fucked by the impossible game that appears every so often. I'd like to think by June I should be able to 100% you're 'average' LG section. But wtf happens if I get the next snakes and lizards, zepher airlines, dinosaurs or that absurd mixing 4 colors in beakers game. I'd basically be exactly where I started, minus 5-7.

Btw, this wasn't so much a question as a venting session. Thanks.


Do every logic game there is... Then do them all again... The take out the challenging ones and do them all a few more times. LG has become more and more predictable every year. If you have done them all and understand how to do them, it is very unlikely you will be surprised. When logic games become easy, it is because you understand the game types so well that you start finishing each section in like 25-28 minutes in your practice. When you take the test at that point, you can rely on the fact that even if you get thrown a nasty one, you will have the time to work through it even if you miss a deduction or something. Just stay calm, let yourself to a quick (3-5 second) break after each game (close eyes...breath...tell yourself you are awesome...), and move on.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: My LG fear

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm not sure how you prep for LG's, but it may help to try and approach the tough ones over again with a "blank slate" attitude to see if you can reason yourself through them. For example, mixing 4 colors in a beaker is the only one you mentioned that I have done so far, and I did it 100% w/o having read any LG books or anything. I am not sure how a book would recommend to solve it, but I simply diagrammed every possible first mixture (R+G=B G+O/B=R or whatever), then used that to diagram every 2nd possible mixture specific to each question if it called for it. It didn't take as long as it sounds since I could reason away most possibilities based on the question (for example if it asked for 3 beakers containing red, blue and green, one can reason instantly that orange must be used and that it cannot be used in a mixture that produces orange. I am not sure how to diagram this knowledge though so something beyond diagrams must have come into play, at least for me).

Of course, I would use this strategy along with book advice and see if it is any more comfortable. And definitely also just keep drilling games.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: My LG fear

Postby josh43299 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I'm not sure how you prep for LG's, but it may help to try and approach the tough ones over again with a "blank slate" attitude to see if you can reason yourself through them. For example, mixing 4 colors in a beaker is the only one you mentioned that I have done so far, and I did it 100% w/o having read any LG books or anything. I am not sure how a book would recommend to solve it, but I simply diagrammed every possible first mixture (R+G=B G+O/B=R or whatever), then used that to diagram every 2nd possible mixture specific to each question if it called for it. It didn't take as long as it sounds since I could reason away most possibilities based on the question (for example if it asked for 3 beakers containing red, blue and green, one can reason instantly that orange must be used and that it cannot be used in a mixture that produces orange. I am not sure how to diagram this knowledge though so something beyond diagrams must have come into play, at least for me).

Of course, I would use this strategy along with book advice and see if it is any more comfortable. And definitely also just keep drilling games.


This was a very rare type of game. Books/LSAT prep courses suggest that you solve it using this approach (charting every possibility).

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: My LG fear

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

josh43299 wrote:
This was a very rare type of game. Books/LSAT prep courses suggest that you solve it using this approach (charting every possibility).


Right, and I figured that is probably how the books would advice it too, I just wasn't sure a game like this was covered in the books since it does seem so rare. Clearly, I need to crack open some prep material Though I have become somewhat sentimentally attached to my own avowed ignorance, I must dispense with it at some point and join the mainstream of how-to-prep.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], berkeleynick, cianchetta0, dontsaywhatyoumean, xtremenite and 13 guests