I am bad at the last 5 questions in LR, how to change that?

TRex77

I am bad at the last 5 questions in LR, how to change that?

Postby TRex77 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 am

So I have analyzed all my PTs and i don't struggle on any one particular type of LR question. I usually get the first 15 right then random ones after that wrong. But i ALWAYS get at least 3/5 of the last questions of the section wrong. How do work on this? Before my last test I drilled the last 5 Qs of LR sections but didn't help.

Is there anyway I can improve this or can my brain just not comprehend the hard ones? lol

Thanks

jigglebottom

Re: I am bad at the last 5 questions in LR, how to change that?

Postby jigglebottom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:40 am

Have you heard of the strategy that calls for doing 1-15 then, working from the end backwards to 16? Might help keep you focused during the harder ones if u have more energy. Never tried it personally.

grovevilleroad

Postby grovevilleroad » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:51 am

TRex77 wrote:So I have analyzed all my PTs and i don't struggle on any one particular type of LR question. I usually get the first 15 right then random ones after that wrong. But i ALWAYS get at least 3/5 of the last questions of the section wrong. How do work on this? Before my last test I drilled the last 5 Qs of LR sections but didn't help.

Is there anyway I can improve this or can my brain just not comprehend the hard ones? lol

Thanks

Maybe don't rush when you get to the end, assuming you are? You might miss the last question or two, but it is better to get 3 of 5 right instead of at least 3 wrong.

Also, I do not believe the questions actually get harder throughout the whole section as you move along.

jigglebottom wrote:Have you heard of the strategy that calls for doing 1-15 then, working from the end backwards to 16? Might help keep you focused during the harder ones if u have more energy. Never tried it personally.

I tried this and had the same results as just going in order, disregarding my actual LSAT. But, as you said, it could make a difference for him. But, as I mention above, I do not think they get harder. Some people have even said the last few questions are easier to reward the test taker that makes it through all of the questions. That is why I was told to try this technique, to get the easier questions first. But who actually knows?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:24 am

Two things could be going on here:

1) Those questions are harder, so you're just getting some of them wrong because of the difficulty. However, the hardest questions tend to crop up a little earlier than the last 5 (though the last 5 are harder than the first 12 or so). How are you doing on questions 15-20?

2) Your brain does tend to get tired within sections, even if it rebounds for other sections.

If it's 1, keep working on learning the methods for the questions until you have them down pat. Also, while it might be a random question that you get wrong, you might be getting them wrong for the same reason. For instance, you might be equivocating between answer choices, or constantly messing up the logical force of an argument (I recently was talking with a student who has a similar problem, and he was always picking answer choices that had too-strong language because he wasn't thinking about how strong words such as 'independent' are.). To fix this, start taking note of what element of the answer choice that you picked is wrong and why; do the opposite for the correct answer choice. That should start to show you patterns in your errant thinking.

If it's the second, start throwing an extra 10 questions on at the end of a section to build up stamina.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”